All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

They’d soon play if they were told the club champions would be barred from the province if the matches didn’t go ahead.

Ideal scenario i would agree.

McEntee is saying there are 4 or 5 players on the Sligo hurling panel who are good enough to be on the football panel but have turned down the offer?

I do know one chap on the Sligo hurling who used to be dual so I’d believe it

Has Madden made any impact over there? Will surely be on a plane home shortly of not. He’d be a big boost for Dublin.

How many of these lads that come back end up as good senior IC footballers ??

The good ones usually do.

McKaigue did very well.
Clarke did well.
Dyas did well but was destroyed by injuries.
Expect big things to come from McKenna and Glass
Mooney is one of the best players in Ireland.

A good few slip away too

Ah ya but the good ones usually perform injury permitting.

What age would he be now? 23/24?

22 this year.

1 Like

Good bit younger than I thought so.

Presumed he went out there at around 20. Is this his 4th year over there?

Only a handful over there now. With all the talk most come back.

Brian Stynes
Colin Corkery
Anthony Tohill
Niall Buckley
Paul Earley

If this restructuring nonsense is passed, does it come into effect from next year?

Seems to be a good bit of momentum behind this option B championship now with the players coming out in favour. League will become championship and the provincials will be stand alone pre season comps. It sounds good to me I have to say. One thing I keep hearing is that the top 5 in div 1, the top 2 in div 2 and the winners of 3 and 4 go into the last 8. Is that not 9 teams? Also how many go up and down between the divisions each year ?

10 teams would qualify. 5 of the 8 from Division 1, 3 from Division 2 and 1 each from Divisions 3 and 4.

I presume the two up, two down format would still apply as regards promotion/relegation.

The problem is a (more competitive) version of a league format has already been tried with the Super 8s and it was shit.

It would seem very unfair that 6/7/8 from Div 1 would be knocked out of the Championship while Div 2/3/4 teams would go through.

Say the league finishes like this next year.

Div 1

Kerry
Dublin
Tyrone
Donegal
Armagh
Mayo
Monaghan
Kildare

Div 2

Galway
Derry
Meath
Roscommon
Cork
Down
Offaly
Clare

Div 3
Westmeath

Div 4
Cavan

I don’t like it. Its unfair on Div 1 teams. Is it easier win Div 2/3/4 than finishing top 5 in the other divisions? Without any doubt.

The league is grand as it is. I hope both proposals are rejected and a better alternative reached.

1 Like