All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Google tells me it was Paddy O Brien who replaced him.

2 Likes

Correct.

Was there no break before the Munster final?

Shocking standard - I suppose 7/8 all stars and a HOTY between them stacks up against Donie and Begleys…

I’m not seething I’m ready for bed

:eek: Stage 5 Rattled watching All Ireland Gold, ah lovely! Hon Donie!

1 Like

Hard to credit that only twelve months on from Waterford losing in the 2007 semi final, a team even more cock sure of themselves turned up for the 2008 semi final & got their comeuppance from Waterford of all teams - a Tipperary side who had won the 2008 National League, beat Clare by 8 points in the Munster Final facing off against a Waterford side who had lost to Clare by 9 points in the first round of the Munster Championship and changed their manager mid season after a player revolt. Tae in Mugs served.

3 Likes

Absolutely, our hurlers got horsed out of it early doors and it was game up. Credit to the manager, he learned a valuable lesson that day.

We have handed some serious beat downs to them since then, there was no ambush in 2010.
Surprising that jeff condones the Waterford tactics that day, KK of course were forewarned and were suitably prepared for the final.

1 Like

A great day.

What tactics are these that I am purportedly condoning?

The assault on Seamus Butler was apparently giving a team their comeuppance and tae served.

The assault on who?

Did I comment on Seamus Butler? An overconfident Tipperary team and support (already looking ahead to facing Kilkenny in the final) turned up for the 2008 semi final and were ambushed by Waterford.

Proper order!

That Tipp team just wasn’t very good at that stage and the great Davy had reinvigorated Waterford. None of the 07 minors that went on to be great players were playing at that stage. We haven’t lost to them since

I was at that Limerick Waterford game but last night was the first time I’ve seen a recording of it.

Needless to say our defence had a nightmare. I might be wrong but I don’t think the Bull Phelan played for Waterford again. Eoin Murphy and Ringo Kearney were run ragged. Tony Browne looked like he was running through treacle. Declan Prendergast was very good first half but made an error at the start of the second half that set us back on our heels again. Ken was only ok.

Upfront we had nothing only Dan who got 5 points from play and was a colossus. Flynn and Mullane were taken off. It was a clusterfuck.

Donies two goals were magnificent.

2 Likes

That 08 team was inferior to the 07 Waterford team. In terms of the speed of their hurling there was no comparison really. They still had a significant edge in big game experience though which is largely what got them through.

The ease with which Shaughnessy got away from Ringo for Limerick’s second goal was ridiculous. Had been stood up and still managed to just walk past him. Real juvenile defending.

https://youtu.be/KSedzFQMkDw?t=31m21s

Wasn’t the worst of matches.