All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

JBM had ridiculous skill.

But he could be out if a game for very long periods too

The goal v Offaly in 84 was beautiful. Not many of today’s gym monkeys would even attempt it

1 Like

pure hurling, they way it should be

No sweepers back then.
15 on 15.
Demented corner backs, who would cut you in half.

Great times

But he’d pop up and kill you.

A decent player but hugely overestimated by people who rarely if ever saw him play, my gripe is that he has a reputation to match some all time greats, he was nowhere near it
Seanie O’Leary was areal hero to the Cork crowd

That game would confirm my belief that Donal O Grady was the worst hurler to win an All Ireland in my lifetime. Had he a father a selector or on the county board?

1 Like

Absolutely agree.

His haircut in 73 bought him alot of points.

He was a better footballer too

https://youtu.be/-IX6mSXzzpw

1 Like

You’re not far wrong there, even as a small fella I couldn’t understand how he made the team, Denis Mulcahy made a fine full back in time, Richard Browne was no better than O’Grady

Billy Fitzpatrick was some hurler.

That was a real wet and windy day with nearly all the play over the 70 minutes in one corner of the pitch.

2 Likes

The hurley bats were very different in those days. Proper hurley bats with handy-sized bosses, not like the shovels of today.

The 1984 Cork team is the epitome of cheeky chappy cute hoor likeable Corkism.

The nonchalance with which Kevin Hennessy flicked that ball into the net was beautiful. He would have made a great pickpocketer, as would Seanie (O’)Leary, and later John “Schillaci” Fitzgibbon.

The day Christy Heffernan mugged him off? I remember christy was on up for the match with Liam o’murchu who was waffling on about christy being marked by a fluent Irish speaker. Christy hummed and hawed and destroyed him the next day.

It was Martin O’Doherty flown in from San Fransico who was marking Christy in 1982 when he got the two goals.

1 Like

I will say without hesitation that the Cork public (probably players as well) feared Christy more than any other player of that era, in the days when you could handpass it into the net he was a weapon, the bad guy in our jumpers for goalposts games

Christy made his reputation on those two goals in two minutes just before half time in the 1982 final. He was quiet enough in the first half up until then. I can’t recall him ever really doing a whole lot in the decade or so after the 1982 final up until his retirement.

Right

He wore a Hurley off a streakers arse one day in ballyhale

3 Likes

Christy played well in 91 final as a really old man afair. Kk were big underdogs but played really well, think he was captain

I remember when Christy came to play for the Rockies a few years later, still with Kilkenny at the time, he was a shit club hurler in Cork but like I said he was the boogeyman