All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

Time to get rid of the provincial finals.

2 Likes

There’s a good lad now off you go, trot along there.

Provincial title doesn’t mean much anymore. Just give the trophy to the team in first.

It’s a viewpoint that has gained more momentum in the last decade but I don’t agree with it.

Leinster title is meaningless for kilkenny and Galway, getting the all ireland semi final place is more important. Munster titles are seriously devalued when a fellow munster team wins the all ireland as well.

The introduction of the qualifiers in 97 was the killing of the provincial championships.
While they are now a “nice to win” any serious hurling county doesn’t really give a shit as the All Ireland is ultimate holy grail.
Granted they served their purpose in the sense that it was a more direct route but with the introduction of the round robin , a team.only plays one less game ( barring a replay) to get to an AIF.
I would like to see them replace the league with the provincials and then split the 10 counties into 2 groups for championship.

Also my heart goes out to Carlow. They are going to get relegated despite showing huge improvement. They should have been let play all their championship games at home and at the very least should be given a play off against Waterford to see who goes down

6 Likes

The qualifiers came in 2002 . From 1997 to 2001 they losers of provincial finals got a second chance .

1 Like

Have to agree with Geoffrey. The way munster is heading going to be same 3 teams going forward. Clare and Waterford going backwards.

I stand corrected sir. But my overall point still stands.

Tipp will struggle once the 2010 u21 team players go

Correct, Limerick and Cork will then dominate for probably the next 40 years

1 Like

It’s a load of bollox, there’s only 1 trophy that matters

None of those titles are meaningless.

“Meaningless” is certainly too strong a term. But they have absolutely been diluted since the qualifiers came into play.

Yes we know that Mike, so the solution is do away with them? Abandon our heritage just like that? Fuck no. Things are grand as they are. People will never be happy that’s our nature. I think we need to stop this gurning about it and be happy with what we have.

1 Like

Oh I’m happy with the way things are. My only gripe is with Carlow. At the very least they have given their all. They are now going to get relegated and will be back to square one. In my opinion they have improved no end and at the very least deserve a play off against Waterford.

2 Likes

Tipperary, Cork, Kilkenny and Galway have a weight of clubs and playing numbers that dwarfs the likes of Clare, Waterford and Wexford. Limerick to a lesser extent.

I get you Mike and maybe that could be an amendment brought in.

1 Like

Trot along there lad.

They could make the championship 12 teams, put a Joe McDonagh county in munster and leinster. No bye weeks then.