All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

No. Still not working boss.

Trust him to hurl or trust him to type?

This still won’t be as bad as when Davy does us Sunday

1 Like

Only the one change as far as I know. What time is it being released at?

Dunno, pal. I was only messing.

Apres match atmosphere.
Probably enjoyed in his Munster training too.

What. A. Cunt.

3 Likes

Fantastic to see Liam og back and hurling well. I felt he was our man of the match v dubs. He scored 1.1 and set up Roc for his goal but some of his running off the ball and his ability to win dirty ball was top class.

Are Joseph Cooney & Johnny Glynn on the bench, or are they a bit off that yet?

Strong enough team on paper, there might be some question marks over that half-forward line’s ability to win ball; although against Wexford, they’ll probably go short a lot.

1 Like

They will tog alright and could well be needed if that half forward line goes quiet. Which they’ve been known to. Callanan back could be a huge addition alright. Skehill killed wexford with big puckouts last year but killed us after as that was all he could do when more nuance was needed. Meehawl was in parnell last week but itd be nearly better if he was in limerick, as corks play and accurate use of it through the half forward line is what galway need to do, limerick had no answer and their big half forward line was moot. At least we have three ball players not just catchers in the half forward line so no reason not to try and work things through them. But that takes effort and personal responsibility but with no joe there we’ll see if a few have it. Wexford will fancy it but their inflexibility when chasing a lead limits their chances. Big test for donoghue, there was too much focus on creating goal chances last year when taking points was unstoppable beforehand, he stuck with all ireland winners (some injured) which in fairness are rare in galway, was that misplaced loyalty, lack of faith in subs or fear or public opinion if he changed and they failed, maybe time will tell. If they are not hurting and desperate to right last year tomorrow I’ll be disappointed.

5 Likes

The Cork first team are better pure hurlers though. Aping them may not work for galway

1 Like

PS I have a gut feeling that galway will play well and win.

A lot of teams are moving away from having big monster ballwinners in the forward line; they try to create space on puckouts through movement and a bit more nuance, as you say. I did think Galway were a bit lacking in this area last year. Joe was always a good man to pluck one or two when things were going against you.

A lot of it is just about breaking it and getting numbers around the ball, obviously Wexford generally get plenty of men around the ball for longer puckouts.

Theres very little hurling wise between

Kearney v Mannion
Harnedy v Burke
Meade v Flynn
Cadogan v Whelan
Horgan v Cooney
Walsh v Concannon

Cork arent tipp, they are sharp and use the ball well to hand and hit it into space well

1 Like

Good balance of old heads and fresher faces there. They’ll probably lumber to a 5 point win over Wexford. Galway’s championship lies further down the road.

Alarmingly rugby-esque scutter talk here guys

4 Likes

That’s a fair description :joy:

You still need to have the rovers winning breaks, david burke and coens energy levels are key for that. But taking time to find lads in space is the way forward and reduces the rucks and even breaking ball.

Could be an element of clare 90s about limerick, they made use of the innovation (as simple a one as it is) like clare did then fitness wise but when other teams caught on they were outhurled. But limerick do have cracking hurlers so that’s a bit unfair.

Whatever about hurling-wise, Harnedy is so much better than Burke as an all-round player. And to be fair to Horgan, he is a lot lot more consistent than Cooney.

Mannion & Flynn are better strikers and more natural attackers than Kearney & Meade but Kearney & Meade are just so elusive, very unselfish and key to the way Cork play. They’re quite different style-wise to those Galway boys.

1 Like

Thats what im saying, corks better use of it makes them look silkier than they are. Cooney going full tilt is up there with horgan but you are right thats very rare. Harnedy similar but Niall Burke would drive you mental. I don’t know does he lack belief but theres nothing he can’t do, he single handedly carried really a bad intermediate/junior team to an all ireland intermediate club title. When all the pressure was on him he did everything for them. But rarely does it for galway