All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

It can’t be any worse than Limerick

Welcome to yesterday.

Christ, I’ve just listened to that podcast with jj Delaney et al. in a forty minute leg humping daisy chain about galway being mean. Three fucking dimwits. The interviewer, whoever he is, needs to take a long hard look at himself. It was like something off monty python. Just about the most one sided propaganda broadcast this side of fox news. Three whiny men in a room feeling hard done by, with the interviewer, whoever he was, doing a fine impression of the bastard lovechild of Michael macintyre and David norris.
It was essentially directed and produced by Brian Cody, and aimed four square at galway, and a blatant attempt to bias future games against them.
And this from j j Delaney. Jj fucking Delaney, one of the most cynical hurlers of his generation. I actually thought better of him, thought he of all people might have it in him to accept the better team won, and man up and take his beating, but no, it sounded more like a three lads from a national school debating team had penned it having cried themselves to sleep, and woken up early.

11 Likes

Fuck Kilkenny.

1 Like

They also gave little time to other games… And no mention of Limerick internet fans and their hubris…but you’re ban on the money there.

I was amazed by that. It ignored most of the championship in both codes, being first and foremost a party political broadcast on behalf of poor little kilkenny.

You can be sure if the meeting in a Leinster final kk will get away with murder. Every journalist in the country has come out and had a go off Galway… Do they so quickly forget?

I can’t see where it’s coming from, honestly. I can only presume it’s just a parochial mentality as they don’t want outsiders at their banjo picking.

2 Likes

The GAA traditionalists hate anyone from outside the big three winning too much. You can have an All Ireland every decade or so, but once you threaten to start winning too much, watch the talking heads in the media come out and complain about some aspect of your game

6 Likes

Exactly, the Keady affair in 1988 to derail Galway, the Colin Lynch affair in 1998 to derail Clare. Limerick will be the next to be targeted for overaggressive play.

It’s already happening with Limerick and the “watch the use of the spare arm” debate.

Kilkenny were at home to a Joe Canning-less Galway and still couldn’t beat them. Reality is sinking in that maybe, just maybe, Galway are the better team out of the two.

1 Like

It’s started … now they are correct in Limerick’s use of spare arm tackling … but we all know where they learned it. KK have been doing it for near 20 years and not a peep… their rucking and mauling nearly ruined the game but not a peep. All of a sudden teams have out Kilkenny-ed them and there’s a problem

2 Likes

“galway were really really mean weren’t they jj?”
“ah they were, so they were, look we all like manly hurling and no cards, and Paul Murphy was dead right to pull down any galway lad with half a chance of a goal, but galway were cynical today, and most of them should have been sent off and an extra half hour played, or until kilkenny won, and referees need to be looking at this”
“and pawrig mannion jj, he should have been sent off for grabbing a lads hand very roughly, shouldn’t he jj. Referees need to be watching carefully for anyone from galway doing this in any future games, and sending them off if they’re from galway, don’t they jj? "
Shure lookit I spose we all like manly hurling, and that’s just good defending if a kilkenny lad did it, but galway doing it is ruining the game. Now I hate to see cards in any game, but let’s face it, he should have had a red card and a lengthy ban. Someone’s going to break a nail with that carry on”
“and aidan harte jj, he was reeeeelly reeeeelly rough, and he got ger aylward sent off. He kicked him over deliberately, I think just before daithi Burke tried to kill an innocent kilkenny player with a hurl, or maybe just after that, and then wrapped poor aylwards arms around him and forced him to wrestle on the ground. We just can’t have that from galway can we jj? "
" A shure look it’s a many game, and ha ha, shure I’d know about that, ha ha, but you can’t have lads not from kilkenny ruining the game and really that was a straight red for harte, and aylward should have had his yellow rescinded as galway aren’t from leinster really anyway shure lookit”
“and John Hanbury, jj, he cynically pulled down a kilkenny player near the goal, didn’t he jj. Referees need to be watching out for galway players doing this against kilkenny in any and all future games, don’t they jj, or really, they shouldn’t be refereeing should they jj? "
" Well look, I’d always say as a defender that it’s just good manly defending, and Paul Murphy was blackguarded by the referee as he only done good defending five times, but Hanbury has no place in the game doing it. A straight red and back to connacht for good is about the only sanction, and lookit, kilkenny do be looking at these things, and any ref that sends a kilkenny lad off for only doing it a few times needs to make sure that galway are heavily and regularly penalised in the future, if he ever wants to referee a championship match outside of Lancashire in the future”
"and jj, that’s only a few things, isn’t it jj. Galway are ruining the game with their cynical play and not being from kilkenny aren’t they jj, and the referees need to make sure they are watching closely and stop them going any further in the championship don’t they jj? "
" Well lookit, we all like manly hurling, and a but of Cody time where needed, and there’s no excuses from kilkenny here, none whatsoever, we’ll take our beating, congratulate galway, and move on, but the galway players are nothing but cynical thugs, who goaded and cheated Paul Murphy into those five bits of good manly defending, and got him sent off, and they have no place in the game with their cynical fouling. Far be it from me to suggest it, but John Hanbury should be banned for life unless galway have someone better to replace him. And Kilkenny were about to win by seven goals when the ref blew up before we said he could. But shure lookit, we’ll move on to the next day (unlike the ref ha ha)
“well, in the interests of objectivity as a journalist jj, I couldn’t agree more”

5 Likes

You won’t have to worry about Kilkenny after Saturday boys. Job is oxo.

1 Like

Well said. That presenter is an awful ape. There was hardly a word said about the All Ireland Champions on the pod. There is a terrible “old Leinster” bias to it. They can’t get a proper hurling man from Munster onto it at all.

Oooffft! I don’t know how the presenter can come back from that.

I was listening to Daly’s podcast earlier on. He puts on a fake Cark/Kerry accent to fit in with the other lads. King of the Roasters.

7 Likes

I listened to it for the first time myself and i lolled at that … thought it was just me at the start. A hybrid Kerry/Cork- Clare accent …I thought the Buff had that gig.

“We might call in for a pint after this on the way home”

1 Like

He only developed that this week. Very strange. Also sounds like he has a serious hangover every Monday.