All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

You wouldnā€™t want to believe everything @Fagan_ODowd tells you. He exaggerates ocassionaly.

1 Like

They need to think carefully about the US exodus and the social aspect for club hurlers over the summer months. Thereā€™s been 3 of the 5 round robin series played off in Carlow and Iā€™ve been at a few of the games. The two best hurlers in the county Chris Nolan of Mount Leinster Rangers and Mouse Kavanagh of St Mullins are off in the US for the summer. Ballinkillen played Myshall a few weeks ago and were down a few players because of a wedding. Itā€™s not such a great system when clubs end up without their best players for the Championship. I doubt this is an issue exclusive to Carlow.

2 Likes

I watched it in the Ambassador Hotel in Ballybunion the most miserable holiday ever it pissed solid for the week

2 Likes

Amazing to think young fellas would go abroad after being locked down for two summers :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Split season is a disaster for lads who watch games from the pub. I cant wait for the Cork hurlinh championship anyway, will go to a load of games.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking forward to Midleton and my beloved Douglas on the 29th

1 Like

[quote=ā€œThomas_Brady, post:6351, topic:35003, full:trueā€]
Iā€™m looking forward to Midleton and my beloved Douglas on the 29th
[/quote
Douglas are dangerous early. I reckon they can win that. Midleton not going well.

Itā€™s not but it will be much better next year when the whole thing is pushed back 3 weeks.

The only inter county players eligible must be students although Mouse is like Van Wilder most are generally younger.

He confused you with a member of the old codgers club

Beastings will do untold for Midleton.

1 Like

One of Buffs favourite club players. Also a farmers best friend.

1 Like

3-21 from play from Gillane in 6 games. Thatā€™s an average of 5 points per game, which is an unbelievable level of consistency. If he had played in Ennis, youā€™d imagine heā€™d have tagged on another few and pushed further clear of Mullen who played 8 games.

He gets good service but still absolutely class. The best inside forward in the country?

The deliveries from DOD & Kyle aswell.

1 Like

Iā€™d still rather have Whelan only because he does it with crap service usually. Gillane as good as he is gets silver service into his paw more often than not.

Only coming across this now. There were indeed stats on their sidelines, which showed them to be very effective. Iā€™ll see if I can locate the graphic.

Clare were particularly tuned into the Limerick sideline in the Munster final and worked very hard to ensure no free men.

Yeah Whelan is class too.

I think Eoin Cody is unreal too, thought it was an awful shame to see him in the withdrawn HF role tbh. Obviously good from a Limerick pov to have him so far from goal but would have been more of a threat.

Hmmm, Iā€™d take Gillane every day. He is a better sniper in my opinion. Shefflin may need to reconsider Whelans role. I think he could be the man to lead the attack.

2 Likes

I just think Whelan can score from literally any kind of ball. Iā€™m not sure Gillane can to the same extent. He gets it straight into the paw more often that not. And heā€™s great at finishing those scores but I think Whelan gets them as well with the same service. itā€™s just so difficult to stop a corner forward once he gets the ball in any kind of space. Limerick are brilliant at creating it. Galway less so. Would be interesting to see them swap teams for a few months and see the results. There is still a bit of coaching involved in getting the forward to make the right run at the right time. And the outfield players instinctively knowing where to put it for them.

2 Likes

Whelan is better than Gillane at edge scores alright. He isnā€™t an out and out goal poacher though and corner forwards need to be. Whelan has had goal chances in the past 2/3 years that he should have finished and has got a point at best out of these chance. Part of the issue is that by default he tries to shoot from his strong side which gives the defense a split second to recover as he adjusts, If he spent a bit of time sharpening his weak side I think heā€™d improve immensely.

1 Like