All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

I watched the final again lately with an eye for Hoggie part of the reason. Plenty here killing Hoggie that he didnt fire in the final. He scores 2 points from play, hit some clutch frees which were not easy but as you say he made look easy, he also was fouled for a few frees and set up a few points. On the round I would say he made more than a decent contribution. For those that suggest he should go they would want to be sure they have a better man to come in particularly for the clutch frees and the clutch peno that beat Limerick in PUC with the last puck to keep Cork alive in the Munster Championship. No way should he retire

However, me may retire from the microphone, talking pure mule re VAR and it comes across as sour grapes and he was on about Cork having 2 players for every position before the championship. VAR would ruin hurling. It is the pace, not stop nature of hurling that has it rating higher than ever as a spectacle

There wasnt too many Cork fans calling for VAR when Hoggie’s club man Tomas Mulcahy clearly fouled the ball to score a key goal in a Munster final v Limerick in the 1990s

15 Likes

Guys - they won’t be introducing VAR for the hurling.

5 Likes

He should be on the bench, he offers very little from play. He is starting because of his frees.

None of the inside forwards on the bench were better than him last year

If you watched the final on BBC, without the graphics for Hawkeye, the delay just for that jarred. VAR :roll_eyes:

True but hopefully Power will step up next year.

Self awareness wouldn’t be a strong point with @thelimericks

Everything pre 2018 didn’t happen

You boys have become very thin skinned since losing your Corkness.

1 Like

I think Horgan is a long way down the list of issues they need to fix to become a dominant team. He is still a very opportunistic finisher and with pacy lads who like to run at defenders it is always good to have a lad like that coming off the shoulder who can shoot on sight under pressure.

I think there are probably half a dozen spots where they need to upgrade ahead of moving on from Horgan. If they can find three lads to improve any of those six positions they will be a dominant A/I winning side - but the question is whether the talent pool to have those guys in place for 2025/2026 is there or are they the same as what they are replacing? As they will need to replace Horgan and Harnedy after that as well

3 Likes

Anyone retiring Horgan or saying he had a bad game hasn’t a clue.

1 Like

Quite a few lads here are heavily invested in retiring Horgan as they’ve said for years that he’s finished,

It’s class how thelimericks just completely make up a story and then say end the day high fiving eachnn be other on it :grinning:

1 Like

Thats about the size of it.

They need to sort themselves re Connolly too. Hat tricks against Tipp are fine. He didnt set the world alight in other games to have him blown up to Ray Cummins levels this year

I like the lads who they need to replace individually as hurlers and see why they are starting but sometimes balance is needed for a team to function.

Both corner backs are nice hurlers, there in itself is the problem, they need someone they can leave on an island with a marquee forward and at worst consistently break even. I don’t think either can currently - I wonder could O’Leary play as a spoiler at midfield?

Coleman is a lovely stickman but is targeted in every game he played due to lack of physicality and defensive instincts. A less flashy but athletic pig of hurler would mesh well with Joyce and Downey.

I really like TOM and he went well in the A/I final but with Darragh Fitz there I think you need either more size or someone who is comfortable covering the half backline and playing deep.

Dalton has helped but I think he has maxed out and teams can nullify him fairly easy now as he is limited in what he offers.

I also think Collins made strides this year but there are definitely improvements that could be made in their puckouts, once the ultra long ones were shit down I don’t think he has much else in his armoury, I’d love to see the stats as I’d say he is involved in general play more than any other keeper as the cork backs continually use him as an outball but very little ever comes from these.

Clare are far improved from the team they were two years ago by simply unearthing two lads they were able to add to the full backline that they were comfortable putting in any situation as they knew they would hold up. If cork can find a couple of proper defenders it will fix a lot of other issues too.

2 Likes

It’s amazing cork need to make so many changes and despite playing absolutely terrible in the final they were still an awful wide/missed free in front of the goals from forcing a replay v Clare.

I see the Hoggie defense force is out in full force. Power will start in front of him next year IF Ryan feels confident we can replace Hoggie’s frees. In Pat Ryan we trust.

1 Like

And Clare’s results this year v Limerick don’t really suggest they were the whole pile better than two years ago.

I had no doubt Clare were a better side than Kilkenny the past three years but they didn’t play on the day in two of those years and lost.

It was similar to cork in the final. they just didn’t play well on the day.

You have to turn up on the day and perform or you won’t win.

No.

Cork suit Clare while Limerick suit Cork while Clare suit Limerick.

Meanwhile, Kilkenny are a shower of useless cunts.

1 Like

Clare went from a team who couldn’t win league matches shorn of three or four front line players to league champions missing half a team and Limerick up a stick for 55 odd minutes before a bizarre collapse in the first round.

The Munster final was just one of those days.

They won 14 out of 16 games all year. A number of players showed noticeable improvement this year while some key lads maintained form, you are just a poor judge, buddy.

There might be some element of that but Cork tore clare to bits for 15 or 20 minutes in the opening half. Clare had no answer and I think it was Coleman who cocked up a half goal chance which would have ended the game as a contest.

Small margins and every team always needs to find one or two players along the way.

Mayo finally stopped Dublin in 2021 and lost to a bad Tyrone side. It’s a little similar this year in the hurling.

You were caught out spoofing and pontificating. Just put your hands up like a man.

Cork need 6 new players but managed to run Clare to a point playing terribly :rofl: