All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

I actually just stuck the game on there. Tony Kelly only had five possessions in that first 20 minutes
But he held possession four times and set up two points while taking one shot which hit the post.

He was very effective despite some lads painting the performance as full of key moments

I’d like to see Barry Nash get a few games at 7 beside Kyle at 6 . I think that might compensate somewhat for it

2 Likes

You think they won’t beat Tipp and Waterford at home in the Pairc?

Without unearthing a couple of players i think they’ll probably only pick up one win next year.

It looks like a very similar hurling championship next year. I find it hard to see any of the Leinster teams improving much on this year.

I don’t see tipp coming back either.

Waterford are the most interesting team without Davy out side of Limerick, Clare and cork as I do rate their players but teams tend to take a while to recover from Davy.

That would only really apply to Limerick who flood space with numbers and mark zonally. Cork and especially Clare are man to man in the backs.

All you had to do was look at the bench options kilkenny had against Clare. Absolutely nothing. You’re possibly looking at all Munster All Ireland finals for the next 2/3 years

1 Like

Clare weren’t getting caught out this year anyway like cork did in the final around the 30 minute or so Clare took complete control and reel off a few fine scores. Clare had Duggan inside one v one with the cork defenders pulled all over the half.

Just watching now it’s amazing Clare didn’t work a long ball into Duggan as it’s a defenders nightmare to be one v one with so much space around you.

Mark coleman had some nightmare of a game.

I don’t think o Leary and o Donghue are the best players but they could definitely be offered better protection.

Whatever happened Damien cahalane? He was good v Limerick last year I thought but was cut very quickly.

Ya well in fairness there’s surely 15 good hurlers in Kilkenny and they probably rebuild quicker than most but it does look like an extended period of rebuilding for them.

They were blessed to make two finals in row in 22 and 23 imo.

I probably agree with most of your assessments.

I would like to see Tim tried at 10. Would be a valuable puckout option. I think he offers more around the middle third than Dalton. More athletic.

It will be interesting to see if Kevin Lyons or young Shane Kingston can put their hand up for a shot at 3. I like Eoin at 3 but potentially freeing him up to move to the halfback line where he is more natural could be a key change.

However, management are slow to throw a young lad in it seems without at least a year of adapting to senior intercounty. In 2023, prominent debutants in TOC and Roche were already on the panel for a few years. Guys getting their first start this year like Hayes and Twomey had already spent time on the bench last year. Even Eoin Downey has had to bide his time before becoming a consistent starter.

Hence, of any “new” guys, Pádraig Power looks the closest to step up next year (albeit with v strong competition for his place), and Mullins and Diarmuid Healy should come closer.

1 Like

I wouldn’t rule out Twomey despite having a poor final. I liked him in a lot of underage games and strikes me as the type to come back bigger and better.

He could free up o mahony to move into the half
Forward line possibly.

Dalton long range frees are a huge asset. Not sure cork have another player to take over those frees.

1 Like

I would be very wary of Galway if they get Donoghue back. I’m convinced they are massively underachieving.

1 Like

O’Donoghue will get a kick out of em alright. But it says a lot when they had to bring Johnny Glynn back from America. O’Donoghue will have to start from scratch.

I think i might have asked, but what happened the Roches this year? I forget which of the two looked promising in 23 but they were no where to be seen this year. Poor Twomey got slaughtered on here post final but he started the championship well - wasn’t the same player after picking up an injury.

Cork brought a certain level of cynicism and big hits for both games v Limerick but didn’t once back it up v the rest. Half their problem is finding that consistency - tis easy go out and leather into Limerick.

Tipp surely won’t be as bad as they were this year

The twins are no where near the level imho. Good hurlers but we wont be winning Liam with them.

2 Likes

I’ve thought so for a long time but I think they’ve missed the window they had where their older players were still top players.

1 Like

If you disagree with what I’ve stated, that’s entirely your prerogative. However, everything I’ve mentioned is accurate and can be easily corroborated by anyone familiar with the North Cork area. It seems the truth can be uncomfortable for some.
PS Go fuck yourself.

I know very well that little of what you said is accurate. Pure scutter from an idiot.

1 Like

Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant to me, but it’s apparent that you don’t want to accept the truth and that you’re not well-informed. The fact remains that Dromin Athlacca did play Ballyhea in a challenge match the week after the All-Ireland. Johnny Murphy was the referee, and he did indeed walk off the field due to the abuse he received from Ballyhea players and supporters. Now as I said earlier, please go fuck yourself you moron.

1 Like