All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

You can just never admit you’re wrong. It’s insufferable.

And Clare are all Ireland champions because cork done the heavy lifting for them.

Wrong about what? I hold an opinion that I think cork have some areas that they need to address if they want to be a dominant side. Time will tell.

I don’t recall ever making big sweeping claims with great confidence that one side would beat another by a point a man and be miles off like you did with the 2022 Munster final and 2024 all Ireland final. I tried to tell you that Conlon was well able to live with Barrett 10 weeks previous but you were adamant that it bore no resemblance to what would happen in Croker.

Cork won the 15 minute All-Ireland well though

2 Likes

Every team needs to improve. Trying to say cork need six players based on the final is just silly. They literally played terribly and could easily have gotten a drawn out of it.

You call plenty of stuff wrong but we don’t all take a break from all Ireland celebrations to go back and score points like you do which shows the thin skinned nature of your opinions.

You completely dismissed Eoin Downey last year too when I nominated him as a player I really rated but I don’t go back and highlight these things because everyone gets things wrong at some point.

Literally Clare were no different to the previous two years. They should have beaten Kilkenny last year only for a wonder save.

They got an armchair ride into the final and Limerick were taken out of it for them. That’s the simple facts of it. Very little between Limerick, cork and Clare. One player for any of those teams could make a massive difference next year.

You are an ENORMOUS pain in the hole
Fucking hell, are you right in the head at all,

I’ve always liked Eoin Downey and thought is is a decent player. I never thought much of his brother but he has looked a far better player at 6 rather than wing back.

I’m not just basing this on the final, I’m basing it on what I have seen of all those players I named over the years. The likes of Mark Coleman for as stylish a hurler he is, is simply going to be targeted every time he played wing back in championship hurling, I have constantly praised TOM on here but he is not a wing back and is at best a solid midfielder and I think would be best used in the forwards.

Cork need 2 defenders at a minimum and a midfield/forward option. They were blessed to get out of Munster and while they beat Limerick well in the semi, Limerick also made a complete balls of a number of goalscoring opportunities that on another day they bag a couple and win. They won’t get out of Munster next year

Clare has 9 players in the 30 plus bracket I think. Limerick probably aren’t far off that.

Staying still or improving a tiny bit on this year could be good enough.

There’s as much if not more question marks over Limerick and Clare’s squad given the age profile of their two teams than cork.

There is very little between those three sides. Fair enough there is more question marks around corks management than Limerick or Clare’s.

Corks spine of 3-6- 11 is younger than Clare’s or limericks which could be telling too.

Cork need to get rid of Pat Horgan. Without the ball it’s like playing with 14 men. Replacing him won’t be easy but it has to be done.

He’s begging to miss simple points now which he wouldn’t in the past but his legs are just completely gone.

If he is persisted with I don’t see cork winning tbh.

It’s not so much the age thing with Limerick as the mileage.

4 Likes

Agreed.

I don’t really think cork need new defenders bar maybe Coleman but I like him as a hurler.

With Connolly and hayes with coaching they could be a savage two man full forward line freeing up another player like a Twomey to play as a third man mid fielder.

I think a lot of the modern day defenders are seriously overrated based on the systems they play in where they are invariably getting loads of cover and space being at a premium. I think cork tend to be a lot more open.

Limerick are grand in the forwards, would like to see a few more goals but English especially and SOB provide plenty of new pace and power. I don’t think roadrunner types suit Limerick’s style anyway. You’d rarely say it about Limerick but there might be a bit of a scarcity of backs. I could see the lad Quilty maybe getting in around midfield next year and Fergal O’Connor needs a chance with his pace. He could be a Mikey Butler type.

1 Like

The problem with replacing Horgan with the likes of Robbie O’Flynn or Jack O’Connor or another speedster is that teams will simply sit deep to deny them space and negate their pace, they already have plenty of strong runners in Fitz, Barrett and Connolly, having Horgan who can take a pass off the shoulder and get a shot off under pressure is hard to replace.

Given that the cork forwards don’t turn over a huge amount of ball I think that it isn’t as simple that they would be better balanced for it. Replacing Dalton with an aggressive pacey hurler would be better but di they have one ready to go?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be mad surprised if Jack O’Connor got the Lehane treatment and is fucked off the panel. Just a vibe, his confidence looks shot.

Oh this one really hurts, and the wound turns more and more infected by the week

Seanie McGrath was waxing lyrical about that power chap. I’m not sure if dalton is a good close in free taker but he could be an option.

I liked the cut of Ben Cunningham as well.

I would say hayes needs to improve on winning the ball in an orthodox fashion. That flick is cool and all but it won’t work forever.

I think Cunningham is being built up as a talking horse, I remain a bit sceptical, he has the hurling but think he might struggle for pace at senior.

Yeah , plus it looks like Peter Casey will be back on the scene as well. Assuming Finn, Barry Nash and Mike Casey can stay injury free, I’d have no worries about the full back line anyway. The half back line could need a bit of surgery though. We never got to grips with Cork until Kyle moved to six in the semi.
By all accounts there won’t be any retirements or changes in management. Seems like they didn’t want it to end like it did this year. Although I suspect if they want to reach the holy grail next year one or two hard calls will have to be made

2 Likes

…nobody in their right mind thinks those two will replace Horgan. Odd post.

Every time Kyle goes to 6, going back to 2019, it shores everything up. You are losing a lot going forward but still.

1 Like