All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

Yeah some people just canā€™t handle the fact that others know all the right people in all the right places.

1 Like

I think cork are totally different animal to even the round robin this year not to mind last year.

They are similar to Limerick in 2018.

Perhaps - It does seem like it has been a big turnaround for them

I donā€™t think Clare have been playing as well they have in the last years and I also donā€™t think Clare have had or even know what their best starting 15 is if everyone is fit. When on form Kelly and Fitzgerald provide serious scoring power but they both seem to be off it, if they had both on top form theyā€™d have a serious chance. Against that, most of the rest of the team is in really good form and some of the forwards appear to be on an upward curve. I think itā€™s a bit unlikely but thereā€™s a chance Clareā€™s form overall is ticking upwards and theyā€™ll put in their best performance in the final.

Think at the end of it though cork have too much scoring power for the Clare backs.

Thatā€™s the thing with young lads in this format they have a savage chance to keep improving.

Look at Limerick v tipp in 2018 and Limerick by the time they met Galway.

Two different animals.

Maybe cork mightnā€™t turn up on the day but if cork play to their level Limerick Clare wonā€™t get near them.

If Oā€™Donnell is inside, you would fancy him to hurt any of the Cork full-back line if he gets supply. I couldnā€™t see Eoin Downey keeping him quiet tbh.

The supply will be key though; Malone/Kelly should at least break even in midfield. Itā€™s the kind of match-up where you could see a midfielder on both sides scoring 4+ points.

Itā€™ll have to be Cleary on Hayes though. But if Clare leave space in front of their full-back line; they could be very exposed and it wonā€™t matter how good the full-backs are.

2 Likes

Demand for the fanzone has crashed Cork GAA website. Weā€™re back.

2 Likes

Conor Cahalane and Lehane were starting last year in fairness. Also, the confidence of the team is just miles ahead of last year.

1 Like

Im not so sure on Cleary v hayes. Limerick left gillane on Cleary but Iā€™m not sure they really exploited him. It was an old school battle.

I wouldnā€™t fancy Cleary chasing hayes all over the place with his moment and possibly swapping with Connolly too.

I could see that ending badly
For Cleary and Clare too.

David Mc will take Barrett. Conlon will be on Dalton I reckon.

Kelly will be followed by Coleman or lack there of. Vice versa. They might shake hands and never be close to each other for the rest of the game.

Joyce has to be on Duggan after the job he did on Hegarty.

Right or wrong, SOD and SOD will meet again.

1 Like

I donā€™t think Clare have any choice tbh, Hayesā€™ physical and aerial presence is right up Clearyā€™s alley and would possibly be a bit too much for the others. Hayes could hurt him in open spaces but Iā€™d say Cleary would fancy stopping him getting turned.

Hogan would fancy his chances against Connolly; itā€™s one of those that could go either way. Hogan is so aggressive & frontfoot in his play that he can be exploited if heā€™s off it at all but heā€™ll give Connolly plenty to think about.

Leen on Horgan then; Horgan is wily, his movement is superb but Leen has been Clareā€™s best back this year. Obviously a big ask in an AI final but he should be plenty confident.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure David McInnery will be moved to six.

Kelly could move if Taylor comes in tbf.

If I was Clare, Iā€™d probably put Duggan at RHF and see what Cork do. If they move Joyce across, do they move Coleman to RHB?

If Kelly does play midfield again, I donā€™t see Cork moving Coleman up there tbh, Iā€™d presume theyā€™ll just let Tim after him but Kelly should get plenty of space.

1 Like

I think if they leave Conlon on Barrett then it could be chaos. Unless they plan to double him. David Mc seems the ideal guy to step in as he can play anywhere from 2 to 7 at a high level.

Clare seem to be playing with their heads moreso than their hearts this year and dont seem to be expending as much energy in games. If they can marry the two for the big day, theyā€™ve every chance.

The form of Fitzgerald and Duggan is a worry and I think Aidan McCarthy despite being good the last day can be better.

But theyā€™ve a good bench in Taylor and Galvin and even Shanagher who is like a joker in the pack.

I think itā€™ll be a great game like 2013.

Iā€™d agree with you on hogan. Itā€™s almost boom or bust with him. Heā€™s an admirable player though. Full hearted every time.

Ya interesting point alright. Tim played well at midfield against Limerick so it might be the plan. Canā€™t afford to give Kelly that much space though and neither Tim or Coleman are too fond of the tight defending.

Duggan is having a good year.

I originally thought theyā€™d move Joyce back to midfield to tag Kelly (if he does play there, obviously Taylor could very well start) but then you have a possible mismatch on the wings.

Duggan ate Tim alive the last day under the high ball. Now, he probably couldnā€™t be as poor again but did fine in midfield the last day I guess? I canā€™t really remember him doing much but Limerick certainly didnā€™t win the midfield battle, was bypassed a lot, I guess.

He was very good v Cork earlier in the year, but not so good the last two games I didnt think.