All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

Horgan is an incredibly skilled player but lacked the
Physical prowess to really dominate games.

I wouldnā€™t have him in the same breadth as canning, tj reid, callanan and the likes.

A bit like dimitar berbatov if comparing to other sports. He definitely has amazing skill tbf to him.

But itā€™s looking past the results at U17/minor that matter too. Teams have won minors and U17 due to their sheer size. KK this year nearly did. Itā€™s hard to coach that resilience and work rate but Tipp had it in spades and thatā€™ll stand to these players. it also helps that they are extremely skilful. Ideally youā€™d want a viable U23 championship to keep developing U17s as the gap between an U17 breaking into a senior team is at least 6 years with S and C and all that.

4 Likes

Iā€™d say seamus harmedy is a far more deserving all Ireland winner. Heā€™s some tough man and has been for 12 or 13 years now.

Was it Sean og that said a fella was on the cork team whoā€™s club heā€™d never heard off?

An awful ignorant comment that stuck with me.

5 Likes

I think thatā€™s an interesting point. Trying to keep the development going from under 20s is very tricky. Even more so if you donā€™t have a clutch of good lads already playing senior county hurling at a high standard to help beds lad in. Then matching them altogether with a good coaching ticket.

Cork had three huge slices of luck this year to stay in the championship this year. If they didnā€™t I assume the management team would have been removed and it would have been another fresh start with more retirements.

Minors were useful, but U21s with the 7 year lead-in was always the more useful guide, and in that regard the 2018 Cork U21 runners-up are coming good as expected. Remains to be seen if the move to U20 will affect that forecasting.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never understood this criticism of Horgan supposedly not being able for the physical stuff. Like anyone he can have an off day, but he has been out in front winning ball and winning the frees he strokes over for years now. Has literally carried Cork at times.

6 Likes

Dont try to understand mate. The naysayers never picked up a hurley in their lives and wouldnt know one end of it to the other.

1 Like

Itā€™s simply a fact surely. He isnā€™t the quickest or the strongest.

He was unlucky to be in the same era as tj, Callanan and Joe canning. Who were phenomenal players but also absolute units too.

I just donā€™t think he could completely dominate a game like they could. Itā€™s harsh but at that level you have to be harsh.

I lost all time for Sean Og that day

He was basically cutting the back off JBM for cutting a few of his aging cronies who had lost form from the panel and wondering why a player he never heard of or whose club he never heard of was playing - Harnedy went on to shoot the lights out next day for Cork!

Sean Og seemed to forget that JBM was the man who managed him to minor and senior all irelands brought him into the Cork set up as a 19 year old and recalled Sean Og to the senior hurling set up in 2012 after he had been discarded by Denis Walsh the previous manager

It would have been more in his line to be saying fair play to JBM and the Cork selectors to be scouring the county for young talent and giving a young player from a small club a chance

11 Likes

Patrick Horgan is widely considered the best hurler never to win an All Ireland. You can put a price on that accolade. I hope he doesnā€™t throw it all away Sunday

1 Like

Iā€™d have great time and respect for Jimmy Barry Murphy. A wonderful player in both hurling and football that done it all for his county.

It always grated with me how Joanne cantwell treated him after one of the defeats in maybe 14 or 15.

It was incredibly disrespectful to a man whoā€™d given so much to the gaa.

There are a fair clatter of Waterford and Limerick lads ahead of him in that queue in my opinion.

11 Likes

Ken McGrath

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure. Subjective and all but Hoggie Baiiiiiiiii (recurring) gave a nice while with Cork on his back. The day against Kilkenny where he scored 3-10 was insane.

Ken McGrath would be his only contender in my lifetime anyway.

1 Like

John mullane.

Great player but Iā€™d have peak Horgan ahead of him

Hoggie is widely regarded as the second best Cork player of all time after Ring.

The love the Cork people have for him is something else. A score from him is worth two the way the crowd reacts. It just means more.

Ken definitely. CiarƔn Carey would be one for me anyway.

Paul Flynn, Tony Browne, Ollie Canning to a lesser extent. But Iā€™d have Horgan ahead of them.

Stupid comment but it was emotional and based on loyalty to his old buddies on the panel.

CiarƔn Carey

2 Likes