All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

It’ll slowly dawn on them.

Lads talking about tipps 17 year olds.

Have you seen the ages of Eoin Downey, CiarĂĄn Joyce, Alan Connolly and shane Barrett. This year will be the weakest cork will be for the next five years or so.

It’s darkest before the dawn.

Limerick were dogshit in 2015 and 2016. So were Clare in 2009-2011. Cork were beaten by 36 points in an All-Ireland final three years ago and failed to qualify from Munster last year. Tipp lost to Wexford in 2007 but by 2009 were outperforming Kilkenny and by 2010 they were knocking them off their perch.
Kilkenny were a shambles of a team in 1997/98 but by 2000 they were impregnable. Limerick beat Cork by 36 points in 1996 but by 1999 Cork were back on top. Nicholas English was laughing at Clare in 1993. I think this may have been mentioned before on this forum.

1 Like

Tipp minors were absolutely blessed to beat a 14 man Galway side

1 Like

They’d one of the best underage sides of all time in 2010 back boning them for the last 15 years.

The truth is tipp should have won a lot more than 3 all Irelands and they won’t replace those greats so easy.

Not only that it was a 15 year period where cork were fairly average and they still only won 3
All Irelands with a huge asterisk beside the 19 one.

Cork will dominate hurling for the 5-6 years. Maybe Clare slow them down but I don’t see it. I hope they do but I don’t see it.

Seamie Harnedy will be very very hard to replace for Cork, he will be a massive loss if he calls it quits after Sunday.

3 Likes

Tipp and Clare are extremely strong underage, and likely to dominate the foreseeable future. Cork have had a load of poor Minor teams in a row, Ben O’Connor blew a lay-up All-Ireland this year and we won’t win another one for a good while.

It’s only u17 but that Tipp team was the best and most consistent team in the country this year, lost one game out of 7 in the Munster round robin which was only due to a concession of four goals.

I could see a traditionalist like @peddlerscross weeping at the sense of occasion watching this

https://x.com/gaaclare/status/1814517248142225725?s=46&t=bi9TPLB4aIa07RQv_xWOxQ

1 Like

Our social media guy is better than yer social media guy

1 Like

They put in as little of Davy as they could get away with

Brilliant to see the debate about who will take over from cork or Clare raging even before the final has been played…

This rivalry has revitalised interest in hurling all over

4 Likes

Lads flat out here debating how slow or fast fortunes can change - can we all just settle on about 9 months?!

5 Likes

I think Cork are a very nice front foot team and have plenty of hurling and pace but talks of them dominating are a bit premature. From 1-9 they have decent players but are far from a crack unit, it is hard to think of any side that won multiple A/Is which didn’t have a really solid and mean defence.
They
will be there abouts for the next few years no doubt but nothing is guaranteed, their forwards have shown better this year at winning direct ball and primary possession but I’m still a bit sceptical of their work rate without the ball - now both of these things can be improved upon - but I think they will need to take big steps in both to be a multiple A/I winning side.

3 Likes

Big time…they haven’t won the first one yet

1 Like

He’ll be difficult to replace but cork have their 1-3-6 and 11 sorted for the next few seasons.

Tipp don’t and Clare don’t. Limerick possibly could but quaid could be moving on.

If you get those key positions in place it’s not too hard to fill in the gaps. Limerick never really had a dominant 3 and a 6 in my life time until 2018.

The one thing that impressed me most about this Tipp minor team was how they worked hard all through games. The final being the pinnacle of that. As @flattythehurdler says they were blessed to beat 14 man Galway but I’d flip it and say they kept working hard and had the belief. Too often it’s been levelled at Tipp sides that they don’t work hard enough despite the skill levels. This side bucks the trend. A real testament to the players and the management. The oul lad was singing their praises early on in the season as being very skilful but also hard working. Takes a lot to impress him as you well know.

3 Likes

Galway have 11 minors won since 99. Limerick have zero.

In that period Limerick have 5 senior alll Irelands won and Galway have won one.

It’s almost like reading into under 17s results is rather meaningless.

1 Like

Might be for a different thread but a right glitch in this structure is the Munster final losers have to beat the Leinster 3rd placed team and the Leinster winners to qualify for the all Ireland.

1. He absolutely is.
  2. He absolutely is.
  3. He absolutely has.

Met him a few years back at Poc Fada and seemed an alright sort.