All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

For a funeral

He was exposed badly by cork. Horses for courses not the games to play him in. He was excellent against the dross of tipp and Waterford. Did the job against clare. Pick the best team to won the game not your ā€œbestā€ players.

Back to sniffing bicycle seats or fighting your own reflection you pleb

Agreed. Subs were awful. Bringging JOC on, leaving Horgan on, bringing Meade on way too late, no Power etc.

1 Like

Kellys fair superior. Downeys was good but therrible defending. TKs was sheer class

4 Likes

Commentators eye.

1 Like

Is 11 years the longest gap between 1st and 2 all Irelands for players in hurling ?

Philly Grimes has All Ireland medals with Waterford 11 years apart in 1948 and 1959.

He started for Waterford in their Munster Championship opener against Clare in 1948. He emigrated to New York a few weeks later but qualified for and got an All Ireland medal for playing against Clare. He returned from the US a few years later and was probably the main man in 1959.

11 Likes

Great knowledge

@ChairmanDan is the most knowledgeble poster on here by a good long stretch.

2 Likes

Johnny Oā€™Connor from Abbeyside nearly emulated that 11 year gap feat too. He was in the half forward line on the Waterford All Ireland winning team of 1948 and played in the league in 1959 but dropped off the panel just before the start of the 1959 championship and didnā€™t get a medal.

He had a fairly colourful and turbulent life outside of hurling, training Patriciaā€™s Hope to win back to back English greyhound derby wins in 1972 and 1973 amongst other things. First greyhound I believe since Mick The Miller to accomplish that particular feat.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what I thought and did. O Hailpin is pointless, and the pundit from Antrim spent most of the time looking pleased with himself, but Seamus Flanagan has gone even further up in my estimation. Whatever a bullshitter is, heā€™s the antithesis of it. A giant of a hurler, and the epitome of strong words softly spoken. Also gives not one jot what folk think of him. A class act in every way.
Once the beeb got the early vomit bucket filler out of the way, it was grand.
Morrissey would ruin any game. I simply cannot stand him. Or duignan.

11 Likes

Sounds like Tony Kelly and co are in great company

1 Like

Any budding greyhound trainers in that Clare team?

Donā€™t think he was the trainer in 1972, he bought a share in 73 and trained the dog that year as well.

1 Like

I donā€™t profess to be any kind of an expert on greyhound racing so Iā€™ll defer to you on that one.

Lohan is a legend. No bull, just straight talking. Hope he enjoys tonight and next few days.

On another note, how many lads here were talking bull about aiden mccarthy all year? Heā€™s not it, he doesnā€™t have it. 2 - 10 in league final, 0-11 in all Ireland semi & 1-7 today.
If he listened to ye spoofers heā€™d have given up the sport ages ago.

15 Likes

We watched BBC.
Duignan is a complete idiot on co-commentary. He had a number of bad calls on the Sunday game highlights.

6 Likes

To be fair to the lads here, the same man you described as a legend also dropped Aidan McCarthy for an AIQF.

I think the Clare lads particularly who see him most often were just frustrated that at times his application leaves him down and it can mean heā€™s too easily beaten in 50/50s or not involved enough.

He showed well today alright, although he possibly looked more comfortable when re-introduced attacking from further out.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not wading through a 1000 posts so apologies if I repeat what other posters have said.

• There are manys days you live, but much fewer you feel alive. Today was one of them. A mighty chaotic match, meeting good friends, acquaintences, TFK stalwarts and randomers. Just thinking about today makes me smile.

• I hit to the hideout about 1:15, twas wedged. A few nods and winks and met two good hurling people. We elected to hit the stadium and have a pint in the concourse. We all agreed not to witness the Landers narcissism parade but equally agreed on Wayne Sherlock as the best of that crew.

• Took my seat right behind the canal end goals. I was there for the 2016 final football replay. A good omen for a good game. Was sitting beside good Dublin hurling people. All to a person up for Clare even those Cork heritage. I find a large element of the cork support nauseating and uninformed. Today was seemingly a cornation for them. Their fans personified their softness and arrogance. Jack O Connor did it on the pitch. The result today is better for them long term.

• There is something wholesome about the Clare defence. No systems, no sweeper, no zonal shit, just beat your man. Back the MF and deep wing forwards to cover space. The Downey goal totally exploited it with Leen tracking Horgan but overall it worked. Old school old fashioned defending.

• Cork donā€™t have the above. Coleman is a lovely hurler/stickman but is not a defender. DF had an incredible 12 shots today. I donā€™t rate Oā€™ Donoghue. Oā€™Leary is hit miss. Hands up Iā€™ve been Rob Downeys harshest critic on TFK. He has been brilliant all year.

• Johnny Murphy played the pantomime villain to a T today. He only blew for steps or a blatant free. He orchestrated extra time and neatly gave Cork a chance to get ET. The nick to the head only added to it. Iā€™d imagine he got a lot of camera time.

• Cork started like a house on fire but Clare managed their purple patch. They killed Cork in the 2nd quarter with runners off the shoulder. Corks defensive discipline was cruelly exposed here.

• David Fitzgerald and Aron Shanagher both produced the most memorable performances today. DF missed scores from 9 shots today. I mark my programme every day but never came across this. Shanagher looked like a covert wrecking ball sent in by Cork. Everything he touched turned to shit. It was comical for a finish.

• TK. No points in the first 70 mins, 4 thereafter. I was right in line behind the goal. The two touches after the throwover were golden. The turnover point under the Hogan Stand was his crowning moment. A disgrace it didnā€™t make the Sunday Game highlights. A cert on the team of the 21st century.

• A game of puckouts. A change to modern tack with so many long ones and especially so little retained. Mid range ones hardly existed.

• Cork like KK are in trouble when Horgan and Reid retire. Both carried this year as 90% free takers offering little from play - compare A McCarthy. Horgan had two bad misses.

• Clare ran hard and went for goal numerous times. Cork did not. The O Flynn shot typified that but they had the chances in the first half and didnā€™t go for the jugular.

• The Clare subs of Meehan, Galvin and McCarthy reintroduced invigorated Clare.

• I felt extra time was cruel on the players today. The general crowd consensus was a replay would have sufficed.

• There was something immensly satisfying about Lohans smile at the end. Maybe it was the fact Davy Fitz couldnā€™t enjoy that win. That Loughnane/Lohan embtace is one of my all time favourite GAA photos.

• Cork will win an AI with Pat Ryan if lessons are learned today.

39 Likes