All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

Sweeney a cork man?

Shanagher should have been taken off again before ET - he was absolutely awful.
He single handedly nearly won cork the game.
Conceded frees, missed easy score, coughed up multiple possessions.

A very lucky man to be on the winning team.

Diarmuid Ryan was motm - he was epic

Coleman is a very poor defender - Fitzgerald if he had his normal accuracy would have been motm. Could have ended up with 1-8 from play!

Sean O Donoghues defending for Kelly’s goal was very poor.
Very hard for cork to win an all Ireland with that 1-9
And teams will learn how to deal with their attack the more they see them.

1 Like

FFS…cool the jets Eamonn…better team won ultimately…

I thought the foul on fitzgibbon near the end was far more obvious free than the ROF jersey pull but haven’t seen a replay was there a dive or what to say no free given?

1 Like

He’s from Sligo…lives in cork now maybe

1 Like

Castlehaven was the last I heard of him.

1 Like

My take on it is the ball was gone from ROF.

McInerney didn’t know that and was reaching but there is no way that whatever contact DM made could have caused the tumble from ROF that ensued. At best be made contact with his hand on ROF’s hip.

ROF felt the hand and went down.

1 Like

Frustrated Keyboard GIF

7 Likes

All good points.

You well know where sweeney is from :roll_eyes:

Eamonn is undoubtedly seething but makes a lot of valid points as well. Swings and roundabouts about and all that though.

Cork stood eliminated in Munster after 70 minutes after 3 Munster round robin matches but ultimately survived due to a freakish enough run of luck/controversy/circumstances in injury time in all 3 games.

It is unfortunate that Cork came out the wrong side of most of the bad calls yesterday. Clare were 4/5 the better side over 70 minutes yesterday and only some awful Clare wides saw Cork to extra time.

5 Likes

The 65 call that ultimately knocked Waterford out stands out. Correct call but absolutely no way the umpire saw it. Complete guess

By God I’ve seen this in slo mo. I was wrong.

DM get a hold of him. I don’t believe ROF was getting there though. Free all day long.

2 Likes

Michael Duignan is seething about it too, which is highly amusing. Duignan was very lucky to remain on the field in the 1998 All Ireland Final, to go on and play a pivotal role in Offaly winning.

Duignan probably hasn’t got over the 1995 final yet.

Duignan was cribbing about the added time as well before he corrected himself and realised that there was 2 minutes of added time; he originally spent 30 seconds maintaining that time was up, thinking there was only 1 minute of added time.

5 Likes

Has anybody called for a replay yet ?

1 Like

Was asking about the fitzgibbon one whether that was a dive

It’s the only one I remember where the mistake can with 99% certainty caused a team to win/lose.

Literally the last play in the game.

Even the Leo Turley point back in the day. Who’s the say the game would would have panned out as it did if it hadn’t been given.

But Cork get that free and it’s a draw. Fact.

I would support calls for a replay.

1 Like

Mick Turley for the record

Even herself watched it rapt. I was trying to explain the difficulty of TK’s stardust, but her favourite was a point where quilligan drilled the ball like a guided missile to a free midfielder (not a pucout iirc) and he put it over the bar. Had some of the most decent English folk you’d ever meet over and everyone wanted Clare to win. Shannon Airport was strangely moving Friday night with the flags all down the concourse.
I’m delighted Clare won, though it was cork who set the championship alight, and I’d love to see Pat Ryan win. He deserves to. I really like him. But it will be so hard.

4 Likes

There’s a wild beauty about Clare hurling, it could never be mechanical like others and were it to be it could never be successful thusly. Yesterday was beauty. Tony Kelly is the embodiment of our game. That some would castigate and chastise him shows genius sometimes is wasted on the masses. Tony is to be cherished. He forever should be and now forever will be.

7 Likes

The Examiner is too much of a good paper to descend to the gutter like that. Should have been pulled by the editor.

4 Likes

Again, more small margins, hut Clare got a far greater return from their bench in the end.

Granted Shanagher was headless and Robin Mounsey didn’t come back out in ET as Aidan McCarthy was reintroduced having been somewhat surprisingly withdrawn earlier.

Taylor was excellent, Meehan got a vital score and the likes of Morey Lohan and Galvin all made big contributions.

Cork persisted with Ethan Twomey who had something of a nightmare and Jack O’Connor looked nervous and off the level. In a game where a bit of experience was vital, why leave Luke Meade until the dying embers and not even use Conor Lehane at all?

5 Likes