All Ireland Hurling Final 2024 - The Tony Kelly Final

BBC, meanwhile, haven’t been as forthcoming with their ratings but confirmed a peak audience of half a million to The Journal yesterday.

The 42 contacted BBC for further details, to which a spokesperson responded: “We don’t routinely publish audience figures for individual programmes.”

Sir, – Your player ratings including bench and bainisteoir were Cork 105, Clare 129. In the actual match, Clare prevailed after extra time by a single point.

Something is askew. – Yours, etc,

GREG BROPHY,

Dublin 6W.

11 Likes

Limerick uncharacteristically stood off the Cork defence.

But Limerick were so casual on the day, particularly for the first 20 of the second half, it still makes no sense. Players were literally walking around. I don’t know if there was an arrogance there or if the body wasn’t willing for a few boys but it’s the oddest thing I’ve seen with this group… Cork punished them then every single time the other end.
But that Cork defence was wide open on the day and that’s why many felt Clare had a great shot at winning. Cork won’t win anything with that defence. They won’t even get out of Munster next year.

1 Like

Player ratings are typically dumb. Over egging the winners and underselling the losers. I saw somewhere yesterday, maybe the Examiner, and it was all 6s and 5s for Cork yet 7s and 8s for Clare, but only a puck of a ball between them. A pure case always of skewing the report to suit the narrative.

12 Likes

Limerick were happy to see the game out with tippy tappy points. Clare had the courage to go for the jugular. It was great to see it.

6 Likes

Yeah there’s truth in that. Limerick did go for goals in the game, butchered the chances, and then reverted to point taking.

My dad rang a friend to tell them about these ratings in the Irish times :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Ben Hur was on RTE 1. Absolutely fucking epic.

Great viewing figures, the most watched game of hurling of all time surely. What was it about that fine Limerick side that meant they never really captured the interest of the wider public I wonder?

4 Likes

They don’t lose finals so the result was inevitable.

They didn’t know their place

The BBC is biased against Limerick.

If Clare were playing Limerick on Sunday Tony Kelly would had ended up in hospital. People don’t want to watch rugby.

Sunday was proper hurling.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/gaaclare/status/1815392858808918211?s=46

Great to see tradition restored.

6 Likes

There’s been a real touch of class to how Clare handled the celebrations.

Properly kitted out in slim fit suits, a banquet in a 5 Star Ballsbridge Hotel and visiting the Children’s Hospitals on the Monday.

Even the homecoming yesterday through Shannon and Clarecastle had a real earthiness to it.

13 Likes

Was it gone?

Yeah fair point. Kelly never pucks a ball against Limerick

1 Like

The Dunph was a legend,as you say nearly all the @Limericks have rebranded.Some of them 4 or 5 times.

Did @thedunph rebrand? He was a fierce aul harmless sort but at the end of it daycent out. We were fierce good epals.

Standing still is moving backwards