All Ireland League - Proper Rugby

I like the cut of this bushes fellow’s jib :+1:

1 Like

Who runs Austins these days?

Bart I dunno hes second name or if he is anything to the quilivans. Rarely down there. Last Christmas was first time in 5 or 6 years I say

I go to club matches weekly pal. Didnt think there was a need for an AIL/Munster Junior Leagues thread though. Id be absolutely fucking buzzing if one took off though. Whats your local club?

2 Likes

Is club Rugby big in Brazil ?

1 Like

Bruff sent them home with their tae in a mug earlier

They would but it is a serious grind on the players with all the travel. Clonmel are a fine side but I fear this stint at senior might be a few years too late for this group. They have savage facilities however and fact they are on the motorway is a major advantage.

Is Pat O Connor still in charge thos season? A mighty man and a great coach

Growing

A measure of the spread of rugby in recent years is the number of clubs from outside the traditional rugby strongholds who have made the step up to AIL

You mixing Clonmel & Cashel up?

I’d expect plenty of beatings to be dished out to them but there’ll be very few teams who’ll leave fortress Alcast park with easy points.

No he was with clonmel last season as far as I recall

Usually ok the first year up with the bit of momentum.

Average age of the squad is fairly young too. The outhalf is only just out of underage. I guess holding onto the better players will be the challenge.

Thats always a help. We went up few years back but age profile was against us and back down after a few seasons.

No idea who is in charge, were always a force in the junior cup over last few years. Great facilities down there.

There is a lot to be said for travel distance especially in lower divisions. Perhaps provincial senior/regional leagues might benefit clubs. The cost of long trips is ridiculous. Midleton went to Derry last year and vise versa. Must be longest trip in the counrty

Motorway is 20km from Clonmel, pal.

Should be regionalised below top two tiers and have playoffs across regions for top sides. Its an absolute joke the travel, especially if you are struggling.

Thats close enough for me

Would there be any money/expenses paid at this level among the top teams?