All Ireland Senior Final Reminiscences

That was a great brawl in PUC v Waterford in 1995 .

The limerick county board wtote to the limerick leader in rhe weeks before the semi final asking them to reign in the hype, that’s a fact and all evidence suggests it worked a treat . They they will now be campaigning the limerick supporters to keep it down a small bit as the team come out.
Yerman Liam whathisname the supermacs spindoctor but better known for for being outed by his gay lover on twitter is handling this for them he was brought in specifically to manage the hype and he is doing a serious serious job.

4 Likes

Peter Queally almost wasn’t let into the Gardai over it.

2 Likes

A proper rumble

1 Like

There wasn’t too much soft about it. An all out melee vs Waterford in the 1st round.

Pretty sure Cummins made his debut that day and let in his only soft goal in championship.

Lost by a point to Limerick in the semi then. Anthony Crosse got a bad belt that day

Earliest memory relating to an All Ireland was my mam crying in 94 nad my dad, a Tipp man, trying to console her. I was too young to really understand what was going on and have no memory of the match at all.

Can remember the 95 Championship well and, in my childish innocence, actually wanting Clare to win once they got past us. Thankfully I grew out of that fairly fairly quickly.

1 Like

We will allow you that one as you were young. As I was raised a stones throw from the Clare border they are the ones I want to beat more than most. I was almost as sickened with them winning in 95 as us losing in 94 and 96. Call me bitter etc but that’s how I feel and it won’t change even though I am out of Limerick my re than 20 years.

Finally, a thread that @myboyblue cannot spam.

21 Likes

Just fixed the thread title in case he came in to tell us about Laois in minor AIs😂

6 Likes

:smile:

Fuck you. @myboyblue & myself traveled to the 91 final together. We attend all inter county matches together since.

I’ll never forget the 98 All Ireland football final, on the Hill pissed as a fart cheering Laois on in the Minor, all our Kildare brothers getting behind us, great camaraderie. Hugely emotional scenes as Tyrone beat an average Laois side to finally get their minor All Ireland, I was delighted for them.

And then turning around and cheering on Galway to a win over those Kildare cunts minutes later.

12 Likes

Oh the 91 final, Jesus, incredible times. Almost as good as watching Donegal beat Dublin in in 1992, Manus Boyle was a magician.

1 Like

I’ve been to all bar four hurling finals since 1981.
Three of the four I missed were 1994, 96 and 2007. I’ve never seen Limerick play (lose) in an All Ireland Final.

Armagh beating Kerry was a standout also, the pure decency of the Kerry people towards the winning fans around them in the stands was a joy to behold.

Watching an Armagh fan in 03 try to throw a Tyrone fan over the upper tier barrier was an eye opening experience to the great bond between ulster teams and their fans.

1 Like

are you going this year?

I was at every football final from 1970 to 1997 except for 1992 when I did a @dodgy_keeper on it and went to a wedding the day before.

I haven’t been at one since.

I’ve been to 20 hurling final. The first in 1979 and the last in 2017.

2 Likes

12 years old and the ticket situation meant I had to go to nally stand on my own. With 5 minutes to go I started to join the other Limerick fans making their way down to the front of the stand ready for a pitch invasion. 5 minutes later I was back in my seat crying into my flag.

8 Likes

I’ve missed six hurling finals since ‘82 (‘85, ‘94-‘98).
I have great memories of ‘84. I was only a young fella and it was the first time I saw Cork win an All Ireland. It was special for a few reasons. I had seen Cork beaten in ‘82 and ‘83 by Kilkenny. The GAA made a big deal out of centenary year and even ran a special competition to mark the year. Cork beat Laois in the final of that competition. The All Ireland final was played in Thurles. Cork beat Offaly without too much trouble. There were certainly more exciting games earlier in the championship. Fitting also for Fenton captaining the team as he was unfairly taken off in the final the year before. Limerick won the minor final in ‘84.
A TV camera zoomed in on me at half time for a while and got a clear shot of my centenary replica jersey. I was thrilled with that jersey - had “Corcaigh” across the front. For weeks afterwards every day after school I was Fenton out the back in that jersey.

6 Likes

They did, after a replay…