All Ireland Senior Final Reminiscences

I stood on Hill 16 for the 1994 All-Ireland hurling final. I was up in the very top corner beside the new, half-built Cusack Stand. The middle tier sort of obstructed the view when the ball went down towards the Canal End/Cusack Stand corner and you had to bend your head down to see underneath the tier.

The main memory I have of being at it is that there were two very grumpy men near me, around 40 years of age and supporting Offaly. They had the new jerseys with the gold sleeves, and bad moustaches. About 15 minutes into the second half one of them said, “I’ve had enough of this rubbish”, nodded to the other one who nodded back affirmatively, and the two of them made for the exit.

1 Like

Paul Delaney

3 Likes

Awe inspiring level of support here. Fantastic writing mate.

“My team gave me cancer. I have died for my love of my county.”

2 Likes

Hurling and ash have always been inseparable.

3 Likes

From 94, my older sister trying to console me. Balling crying while the game was still going on. They just couldn’t stop scoring. 96 I was with my parents can remember jumping up and down with some lad beside me for the disallowed goal. 2007 my friend dragging us all around Croke park to meet some gobshite friend of his in the hideout bar (I think) some shit hole anyway. Missed the team coming out and the parade, crammed in at the bottom of the hill. Horrible fucking day allround.

96 was a lot worse.

After the homecoming a few of them ended up in Paddy McAuliffe’s in Kilmallock. The suits were unreal. Dark green jackets, @TheUlteriorMotive style rotten beige slacks and I think Houla was wearing a fucking straw hat like Geoffrey Boycott. All he could say was “we had it in our hand and we fucked it away”. A Legendary local GAA commentator was stretched out asleep over a few chairs. Then he woke up and puked his guts up. Paddy was raging.

4 Likes

Ye played a lot of it

:joy::joy:

Now i know your age you are not the person i had a sneaky suspension i thought you were :sweat_smile:

Anyway i must say i don’t remember this roar in 2007 being as loud as people say it was. I could be wrong but have not croke park been playing that shitty overly loud music when the players run onto the pitch for years now? It drowns out the crowd completely. At least it did on Sunday

1 Like

Me neither although tbf I was on the Hill so the sound probably wasn’t trapped. You need a box stand like the New Stand in Thurles or Cusack Park to really build a din I think.

Your memory is playing tricks on you so, Phil. The roar was so loud that it has actually been attributed to Limerick losing that day.

IT WAS THAT FUCKING LOUD.

10 Likes

Couldn’t have been as loud as the time Sleep played The Button Factory anyways. Now that was loud.

Sunno))) were pretty loud too.

1 Like

I was in the Davin in 07 and seem to remember it as a fairly loud roar. 2nd biggest roar that day took place during the minor game. There was a break in play and Richie Bennis came up on the big screen having a look at the game and the Limerick crowd in went mental.

Loudest roar I heard at Croke park was for a minor game. Mayo won the minor final in 2013 and all their supporters were in situ for the final whistle. They went ballistic.

I presume “plan b” will come into play if Limerick get over the line in a few weeks.

Was at a wedding in Kerry the day before the 2008 final but managed to make it back to Drumcondra for 3.30 on the Sunday. My better half was decidedly the worst for wear after the day before. When Eddie Brennan’s second goal went in around the 20 minute mark, she disappeared and didn’t re-emerge for the rest of the first half. Went out at half time and located her fast asleep on one of the sofas, premium level. No budging her and she slept it out for the 2nd half as well.

5 Likes

Lols I remember that. Unnerved them.

2 Likes

Delaney subsequently got a soft enough suspension along with Mick Church around 1995 if I can recall. I think it was one of the first times video evidence was used.

1 Like

Ye can stick yer asterix up yer bollix so

The load roar is a bit of a myth . The earlier arrival of teams and the catering / bar facilities mean the days of big roars for team arrivals are a thing of the past .