All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2016 You Are What You Eat

Clare 2-12 Roscommon 1-9 (FT)

Roscommon. :laughing:

This is unreal

What a vindication for @Il_Bomber_Destro.

@Tonymac has fucked off to some hole and is afraid of his shite to come out of it.

3 Likes

Good man Joe!! :pint:

Now a win tommorw sorted

Getting boring at this stage, so many instances of vindication that its hard to keep up.

2 Likes

I believe the word is INFALLIBLE, like that other guy in Italy.

Will we get 4k for the Derry-Tipp match today?

Surely half of Derry will be there, it’s just next door.
Tipp are a hurling county and you’d hardly expect them to travel to the north pole for a bogball match.

They are amateurs and young. So their capacity for constant high tempo training at this stage of their development would be low enough. Think it will take 3 years overall.
They aimed at the league and trained extremely hard in November, December and January with multiple sessions a week.
Then there is the mental aspect. They openly wanted a good league. That was their no.1 target, the management expressed this. So when that was achieved with some notable wins they will have satisfied their goals to a certain degree for now. That takes the edge off. They looked fucked by league semi final. What they would have needed then was 3 weeks off or a mid season break, but that did not happen. Since then they have been on the go alot.

Its all about loading. Year on year you only have a loading capacity personal to you and maybe then in turn the group, especially a group as close in age as Rosscommon. You layer training within 4-6 week blocks. Up, up, up, rest. Or maybe in pre-season up,up, up, up, up, rest. GAA teams generally don’t do that. Its up, up, up, up, up, up go handy the week of championship. The amount of over training that ruins good teams in GAA is hilarious. No concept of less is more sometimes.

Done well you increase overall lets say capacity to 10-20% more than the previous year. You rest for 4-6 weeks in off season and drop back maybe 5% but build again.

Generally this done over 3 years (for amateurs) will bring you close to your peak. You will get better as you go on but that has more to do with improving other skills like game management, game intelligence, refined skills etc. Fitness then is simply about top ups and little spikes. I would suggest this is where Dublin are. The mistakes Davy Fitz and McGuinness made after All-Irelands by going hard again the following year is a classic example of not doing this. Killkenny have this nailed and its very noticeable that players spend at least 1 or 2 years getting up to pace within the squad physically before making debuts etc. Killkenny layer their training, and thats not any secret as Dempsey openly promotes this in lectures and at workshops.

So Rosscommons players had little or no rest, many played 3rd level as well. Then they went hard from November to April. Maybe they eased a little after the Kerry game but they were back to championship mode again. It catches up. This is classic GAA Managers not understanding (or maybe listening)to expertise. Or maybe they all just accepted it and said we want to consolidate in the league. My inclination is like yours bandage and tottis, McStay from watching him over the years would not consider “breaks” or a layered approach. But i would absolve the team somewhat. And there isn’t much they can do if they don’t have a natural IC Midfielder.

This win for Clare is no surprise at all. Anyone who has seen these teams recently and considering how worn Rosscommon are would have seen this.

2 Likes

GAA is absolutely full of this now. All teams duck into tackles.

1 Like

What’s controversial about this venue.

The distance point is bullshit, Cavan is quite some distance from Derry, the average distance is probably about 30 mins in favour of Derry.

Familiarity? Fair enough.

However the Tipp manager was saying Mullingar and Tullamore were more neutral choices! What fucking planet is he on.

Prediction please?

Most Tipp football supporters are from Clonmel and other towns in south Tipp which would be quite a bit away from the other end of Tipp let alone Cavan. Most of the Derry supporters are from the south of that county as well so closer to them.

The Tullamore suggestion is fairly ridiculous though I agree

1 Like

Fair play Kev. I often handed in undergrad assignments with less thought and content than is gone into that,

Derry to win but you wouldn’t know what to expect from them.

Its a disgraceful decision and one made clearly to try and boost GAA in Derry.

Sure i do it every day.

1 Like

They should cover the 3 point handicap handy enough. (I hope😯)

Fuck sake mate. It’s just down the road for most Derry people.
The only place in Tipp they play Bogball is all the way down on the Suir. It would take you over an hour just to get out of Tipp, then you have to drive across all of Leinster, and no proper direct good road.