Allianz Hurling League 2019

Ooooft thatā€™s a clamping

Not really, iā€™m sure he probably regrets it and is hopefully suitably embarrassed but I wouldnā€™t be singling him out completely. There was a whole host of silly shit yesterday both on and off the ball from both sides which the referee and rest of officials indulged for some reason.

Like I say there have been many incidents in Clare Limerick games in the recent past where lads have gone down fairly easily to try and get a man sent off. What David Fitz did yesterday was no worse than Dodge did in 2015 when he stayed on the ground as is he was shot and the Limerick medical team wrapping his head in a bandage to get a man sent off and or to a lesser extent Diarmuid Byrnes last year or Pat Oā€™Connor in 2015 going down injured when opposition fans would say was minimal contact.

Supporters of either side are obviously going to take a jaundice view of it especially when it is against their team.

1 Like

Itā€™s rotten Limerick and Clare have been flaking each other for decades, so long as the crown jewels are kept out of it.

Fans are always going to be myopic which is fair enough.

I thought Browne and Gillane gave as good as they got from each other yesterday but if you were to read some of the comments on here you would think that Browne spent the day cleeving Gillane out of it while clare fans would tell you the opposite that Gillane was the instigator and doing all the skelping.

4 Likes

Thats fair enough. We have jaundiced views no doubt. My comments on Fitzgerald stand. In the context of lads flaking eachother and standing up to it, giving it back and getting on with it, like the 90s and early 00s, the few incidents you mention are disgusting. If this creeps into the game unchecked weā€™re fucked.

2 Likes

Limerick v Laois down for next Saturday night.

all three postponed games down for 2pm next Sunday.

The rest of the teams are just trying to catch up with limerick.

They both could have been sent off about four times each; they were both at it from the start, definitely no innocent party.

No. Its gone to a new level since last year.
I dont like it and one side is as much to blame as the other.

1 Like

The bottom line is that gillane is going to be marked tightly with dark arts applied this year and in future . He is our best forward and management will have to look at countering this .

I never get tired of seeing that. Heā€™d have saved Waterford GAA a heap of money if heā€™d have taken Davyā€™s head clean off

The Clare backs were dead right to be swinging out of Gillane. He has a tendency to lash out so is going to be a target for this stuff constantly. Itā€™s up to the referees and umpires to protect him, not the Clare backs fault if they donā€™t. In a scenario where you arenā€™t being punished for it, tā€™would be a dereliction of duty not to be fouling our most dangerous forward before the ball comes in. Iā€™d have no issue with it whatsoever.
I also have no issue with a lad playacting to win a free or whatever. Again itā€™s up to the ref to stop it. All in the game.

The rolling around on the ground when you havenā€™t been touched thing is just wrong though, anyone at that shit should be cited post match and banned for a game and Iā€™d say the same if any Limerick lad was at it.

In relation to the Dodge thing, he got a filthy belt and the red card was fully justified IMO but the bandage thing was ridiculous alright :joy:.

2 Likes

Very true heā€™s one of he top forwards in the game now. This is serious problem for Limerick as heā€™s at this shit in club games too. Heā€™s not able to control his aggression.

We have Casey along this year. Weā€™re like the old Kilkenny, if we lose a lad weā€™ll just replace him with someone better than him.

Thatā€™s a fair point but not exactly like for like. Gillane is the most important forward ye have now.

Agree on all that.

Flanagan also seemed to be getting attention, suppose after his red card in Wexford.

But if you show a sign of weakness youā€™ll be targeted, and we canā€™t afford to be having fellas sent off.

There doesnā€™t seem to be as much of umpires intervening at the moment as there used to be. Youā€™d often have the play down the other end of the field in the past, while one umpireā€™d be standing there, his arm raised in a Hitler salute for a few mins until the referee spotted him. If that comes back into play, Gillane needs to watch himself as heā€™s very prone to lashing out.

And no, I donā€™t think we can just call on somebody on the bench better than him.

When did Paudie Maher ever try to get an opposition player sent off?

The auld umpire standing like an ape with his lamh out for a few minutes is a classic of the GAA. And the crowd roaring at the ref to go into him or at the umpire ā€œtwo of them at itā€.
A real classic though is when he hasnā€™t got the refs attention after a few minutes and just gives up on it altogether. Drives lads spare :joy:

2 Likes

The question now is does @myboyblue have to bollocks to face us in the terrace.