Allianz National Hurling League 2023

The cream rises to the top regardless of structures.

1 Like

As long as the player is being looked after, you cant say fairer than that.

1 Like

Of the three seasons that there has been the round robin, only once has a team gone unbeaten. No team has a 100% win record. A team could theoretically lose twice and still win an All Ireland. I donā€™t have huge issues with the format as such (as much as Tipp have been shite for 2 of the 3 seasonsā€¦). It probably disadvantages Munster as itā€™s the strongest province but if you canā€™t make Top 3 in your province, maybe you should be forgetting about trying to go further. I think its proximity to the league is all wrong though.

I think he was trying to lure you in there mate.

Was it 2018 that Limerick barely won a match of note in 70 minutes and ended up AI Champions? :grinning:

Limerickā€™s record in this round robin format reads something like P12 W7 D2 L3.

5 of their wins were against hapless Waterford and Tipperary outfits who had effectively downed tools too.

To be championing this ridiculous format isnt in the best interest of the Limerickā€™s at all.

Will you make up your mind.

I dont see the contradiction here?

The penny finally drops.

Iā€™d be the first to admit Tipp were an absolute shambles in 2018 and 2022. Not much better in 2020 or 2021 either.

By the looks of things Tipp may not be a total shambles this year which is a worry for the rest.

When we are not a shambles we generally go very close to an All Ireland.

Weā€™re quite relaxed about formats.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the difference.

In Tipp, the game comes first.

1 Like

He wonā€™t like that

Thatā€™s the crux of it really. You have a league followed quickly by a bigger league, with a lot of repeat pairings. The previous 1A/1B format would still throw up the same issues regardless of it being more competitive.

Possibly you need to go down the soccer football approach and have a secondary open draw cup competition that runs alongside the main championship. The current Liam MacCarthy format is imo the best format for the AI championship Iā€™ve seen, although a few tweaks could improve it.

Yeah. Iā€™m seething.

The big dog will be around soon with a comment about riding cousins or tinfoil or wan in a row or something of that ilk

1 Like

Without a real relegation threat / promotion opportunity for most counties there is no incentive.

Very frustrating to be on the wrong end of one meaningful match for Limerick in the old 1B on multiple occasions but most counties had multiple matches that they had to perform in.

Westmeath are currently on -54 scoring difference after four matches. Just swapping them out and reintroducing relegation / promotion would be better all round.

Just have the league as a plain league, no playoffs. You can have a cut at it and you get your gap to championship then.

1 Like

The klaxon is sounding somewhere

Itā€™s only the league sure