Allianz National Hurling League 2023

Iā€™ve sorted that, weā€™ll tip in on Sunday!

1 Like
4 Likes

The problem with Skehill here is that heā€™s sitting on the fence.

11 Likes

Well said James Skehill. Nailed it there.

1 Like

There will be a burning effigy in Skehills back garden after that.

You just know Kinnerk getting the (deserved) credit will drive him buck ape too. :smile:

8 Likes

A lot will depend on the limerick game. If limerick give them a hammering , he could be gone.

Davy will be loving that Skehill homage to him. Waterford will not be found wanting for motivation

Waterford broke Cork completely last year in the league final and Cork broke them back in the Championship. There havenā€™t been many good days for Cork hurling in recent years but that day in Walsh Park was silenced was one of them. The faces on the Waaahfud supporters at the final whistle who expected a soft win couldnā€™t be bottled it was so priceless.

Two teams in a dire crisis this year hoping the new manager can get things going.

1 Like

Ooooffft!!!

1 Like

Corks injuries look to be there biggest issue more than anything else this year

Definitely. In one way, more lads are getting their chance but come Championship time weā€™ll be hammered. Iā€™d expect a proper clipping off Kilkenny on Sunday.

1 Like

Just to be clear, 2020 is being countedā€¦

1 Like

Its a bit weird in the sense that local media in Cork (Iā€™m going from facebook) still seem to be talking them up a lot.

Most of them havenā€™t been to a Cork game all year and are just following twitter and highlights.

Donā€™t get me wrong there have been serious improvements in work rate, physicality, hunger and direct play compared to last year but they are still miles off the finished article or being ready for it yet. It would be a fright to God if that core 20s panel that won a couple of All Irelands didnā€™t amount to something but for many it is their first season on the go with the seniors and expectations have to be kept moderate. We have our centre back for the next decade but every other position is up for debate and grabs. Harnedy is a shoe in if fit, he looked as good as ever in the first half against Clare but bollixed his hamstring chasing after Morey and unfortunately thatā€™s been the story of his career the last few years. Savage hurling but the body canā€™t hold up. Iā€™d say he has a year or two left in him at the very most. For me Horgan should be gone already, but with so many injuries heā€™ll probably be starting every meaningful game this year.

1 Like

We are goosed with injuries alright. Coleman and Connolly are enormous losses.

Harnedy is absolutely pivotal. Ryan does seem tk indicate itā€™s not an overly serious injury but a hamstring is surely a concern.
SeĆ”n Oā€™Donoghue and Robbie Oā€™Flynn too - their situations seem to be improving but again fairly worrying that something coukd relapse with Robbie.
Fitz and Tim should be back on the bench this weekend at least- both in real need of game time.

I do think management will be ā€˜braveā€™ in selections come April 30th. I fancy Eoin Downey to start at 3, with Tommy Oā€™Connell starting either at 5 or 8. Brian Roche is well in the mix too. PĆ”draig Power is in pole position for 14 then.

But yeah overall Iā€™d be very skeptical about our chances. In todayā€™s game it seems that young players need about 3 years on a panel before they can truly break through due to the physicality - and I think that may prove Corkā€™s undoing if we are knocked out in Munster.

1 Like

Are their injuries as bad as any other team? I probably havenā€™t been keeping an eye on them that much.

Looking at Tipp, theyā€™ve four players who played championship last season now more or less out for season (two of them out since before league). Also missing another starter from last year in much worse circumstances (RIP). Another certain starter (Barrett) struggling to be ready for championship. Callanan wonā€™t make start of championship (a sub now anyway, I think). Theyā€™ve also another cohort of players injured at moment that Iā€™m not sure of timeline around. Most of these (if not all) would be starters or on match day 26 I would think (Oā€™Meara, Brian McGrath, Stakelum, McCarthy). Ronan Maher also went off injured early in Belfast but didnā€™t look too bad (hopefully). A couple of other prospects gone for season with injury (Connolly and possibly Ormond)

I havenā€™t heard Cahill go on about the injuries much at all, in fairness to him

5 Likes

Interesting. I didnt expect to see Galway quite so low.

Limerick and Laois are doing incredible work there.

2 Likes

Galway traditionslly only played hurling exclusively in the south and east and football exclusively in the north and west. Changed a bit now with population booms but still very much a thing. Not many dual clubs.

1 Like