Allianz National Hurling League 2024

True enough. Be interesting to see. NP themselves are due a fall off with the age profile in the area. Hopefully all those Tipp lads in Kildare won’t let it go anyway.

Not too long ago there were lads on here trying to convince us it was rubgee country. These lads were mostly not from Limerick

I wonder if transport doesn’t hinder hurling development in Dublin.

1 Like

What I’m saying is that if there are places in a “hurling county” that aren’t traditionally strong at hurling or places in a “football county” that aren’t traditionally strong in football, they still have an advantage in trying to change that.

Like say, south Tipp would be considered to be less of hurling stronghold than other parts of the county, but a bit of organisation or the sudden emergence of a star player could change that. It wouldn’t be beyond the bounds of possibility that a Clonmel team would win a Tipp SHC. Playing for Tipp is something major for youngsters to aspire to.

I think Mullinahone might be an example of that? Weren’t they considered mainly a football club until the emergence of John Leahy?

Tullamore in Offaly would be an example. Traditionally a hurling backwater but because Offaly itself became a hurling county, the path to competitive hurling in Tullamore was made easier.

Waterford City would probably always have been considered to be more an association football stronghold than hurling but that changed in the late 1990s. In a traditional hurling county, Waterford suddenly became a sexy team that grabbed the imagination of the whole city. A bit similar to Limerick now.

Derry City is an example of a place where GAA is punching way below its weight - but it is in a football county, and it has a high profile, successful county team that youngsters would aspire to play for. So the situation is favourable for the development of Gaelic football to a higher level.

People say hurling in Cork City is at a low ebb but the weight of history and tradition is so strong that it can always rebound with a vengeance. My bet is that hurling will once again become the sexy game in Cork city before too long.

This kind of analysis really annoys me. This was a terrible strategy and resulted in Cork scoring 2 points in the third quarter while playing with a huge wind at their back. It didn’t work and cork crowded themselves out and couldn’t deliver long as there wasn’t room to.

https://x.com/seanflynn85/status/1754537172160426389?s=46&t=bi9TPLB4aIa07RQv_xWOxQ

2 Likes

It probably looks great in training with the cork forwards as the attackers

3 Likes

A man who makes himself sound like a genius on Twitter. It’s painful.

1 Like

Even in the clip he actually shows, they deliver to a two-on-one and lose possession?

Odd, surely it worked at times, you’d think you’d show the clip of it working.

2 Likes

In any case, I couldn’t possibly see it working come championship, especially if used consistently.

Obviously the Limerick half back line will not creep up the pitch, they never do. If Cork were to bring the half forward line back as far as our own 45, then Limerick would only need to commit 6 forwards at most to put serious pressure on the short puck out. And if Cork are successful in carrying it out as far as midfield, our forwards are seriously outnumbered.

A bit of a nothing tactic, really. Cork might only use it sparingly this Summer, if at all.

1 Like

To be fair, there have been times over the past few years where Limerick have been seriously troubled by the times who do create those overloads in their own backline and move the ball quickly and slickly to midfield and take shots from there.

Galway have done it at times to good effect and I can see why a team like Cork might look at it. Obviously, you need to have good shooters from distance and there are certain risks to shooting from out the field too.

When Limerick do get organised and the work rate of their forwards is at the level you would expect, they do get a lot of tackles in even when outnumbered, and teams have never been able to sustain it across 70 minutes. I remember Galway hit a lot of wides from way out the field towards the end in 2022 and, generally, if you’re going to let a team shoot, from way out the field on the wing is probably the place to let them. I wouldn’t be reliant on it as a strategy but it’s possibly a different option to mix it up at times.

1 Like

I think its actually the opposite of what Cork need as twill lead to fellas getting bottled up and turned over. They need to make the pitch as big as possible and play good fast ball into the right areas where they can use their pace. Make the game as frenetic and fast as possible, loose even, plenty of diagonals, breaking the ball in hf line etc, good direct hurling!

Limerick are susceptible to it alright but they probably put up their greatest ever performance in AI Final 21 against a Cork team playing that style.

I think probably the one thing the Limerick backs might be susceptible to is pace and really good movement/delivery; like any back line really.

Limerick drop Byrnes back and he just collects and puts it over the bar.

8 times per game.

What the heck happened Leix v Down? Scrapping to victory, was it a rake of wides?

Who?

Leis 2-18 down 0-17

Explain

Who?

Laois

Under a heavy training block at the moment. Gambling on winning while digging them out. They were very dead legged yesterday and Down traditionally do well early in the season or did the last year or two in the league. Down also were mortified by how bad they were in OMP last season and weren’t gonna roll over this time by all accounts

It’s Down ffs, they could have got beaten because of their training block