Allianz National Hurling League 2024

They love their hurling above in Down.

Actually they did a lovely gesture yesterday by presenting a Down jersey to a young Laois boy who was doing the coin toss

https://twitter.com/shanekeegan81/status/1754270067401855485?s=46&t=YOfhVM10W0bcyIiYSLI3Wg

3 Likes

Cork could try to stick the sliothar up their hole and run it out for the puck out and they still wouldn’t beat Limerick.

5 Likes

Some dubious numbers there I reckon.

I’m involved in hurling in a weaker county and am fairly convinced no real progress will be made until the county system is done away with for organising competitions. Playing the same handful of clubs each year at underage is largely a waste of time. The good teams get no serious challenge to improve them, the bad teams get a few hammerings and interest killed.
Local soccer team here have a good group at under 12 and were getting 2-3 good games in the mid-Ulster competition but hammering teams in the other 15 league games. They have pulled out of mid-Ulster and moved to the Belfast league where they get good games every week, no fuss over it just the request made and granted. If that was hurling they would stay hammering the same teams up to u16, with the only query being whether the good or bad players pack it in first.
There is no good reason why Louth, Monaghan and Armagh underage hurling clubs don’t all compete in the one regional competition, the combined geographic area of the 3 counties is similar to Clare. South Down clubs should be in that as well. A good Louth or Monaghan club team should be competing in Dublin.
The biggest obstacle to that is organising so it doesn’t clash with club football action in each county, in reality a set day or weekend would have to be designated as hurling only with no football activity allowed at a specified age in any relevant county on that day. There would be complaints but clubs like Crossmaglen and Kilcoo should be ashamed they don’t have hurling teams, they both have decent camogie set-ups so there is plenty of knowledge there if the will was there.

12 Likes

Those numbers were not researched but I’d say they’re not a million miles off in Tipp, KK, Clare, Limerick and Waterford.

I would have said Corks two biggest failings in recent years are their inside forwards can’t win their own ball and their backs are jittery as fuck in possession.

That tactic would only make both worse. Cork were bringing 4 back to the full back line for puckouts in one of the games. Limerick let them at it and just gobbled them up out the field with the extra numbers. They would do exactly the same with that only have even more numbers

The teams that have troubled Limerick over the last few years. Clare, Galway and Kilkenny have all done the same thing. Go toe to toe. Commit bodies. Tackle like fuck. It’s not rocket science.

Sweepers, short puckouts etc. Limerick love that.

You’re not fan of many of these guys on twitter. Any accounts you actually enjoy.

FantasyPL

Christy showing once again why he’s the premier hurling writer around. Woolie really should have him full time instead of Ollie Baker knawing cliches.

What constitutes a turnover? It is far too broad a term in hurling context.

Generally, I would view that a score from a turnover is basically any score that doesn’t come directly from your own puckout or their puckout.

It does cover a lot; without context or comparison, a lot of stats are meaningless tbf.

You could send a donkey to Aidan o Brien but it would still be a donkey at the end of the day.

They Don’t have the players. For them to win an all Ireland you’d have to see a massive change in personal.

The management team mightn’t be great but theyd need to be changing water into wine to be successful in cork.

I’d give Clare and possibly Galway some sort of chance of troubling Limerick. I like Eamon o Shea as a coach and I reckon have been poorly coached in recent seasons but still gave Limerick some problems so I could see them doing something maybe.

1 Like

Ya I suppose the next step is to describe what type of turnovers there is, the higher up the field the turnover occurs definitely leads to more scores but generalising that is the main task.

Not a million miles off in Galway either sort of.

There’s 16 senior, 8 senior B and 16 intermediate is it? In the intermediate there’s a few second teams like Craughwell, Turlough etc.

After that you go to junior with another few clubs who are either tiny or from the football areas.

The key in Galway, is the clubs are all in on one code.

Not all are one code

Far too broad since there’s a million different actions in each phase of play - But for the best data analysis company in the country (which I trust) it’s something like:

‘Ball is in play, Team A is in clean possession. In the same phase of play, Team B is now in possession. Team A hitting a wide or hitting out for a lineball does not count as a turnover as the opposition would still have to win the lineball etc’.

1 Like

It was the Antrim with 10 clubs that caught my eye, there are about 25 hurling clubs in Antrim which isn’t all that different to some of the bigger counties. You might say a lot of them clubs are useless, but Antrim is one of only 4 counties in Ireland who have won club AIs at senior, intermediate and junior.

7 Likes

Antrim, Cork, Kilkenny & Galway?

That’s a good one. They do pretty much have a bye to the semi final though at the lower grades (Galway similar)

Antrim is the sleeping giant of the GAA. Has the population (even allowing for half to be uniterested)

2 Likes

Galway have never won a junior. I had it as Limerick but after your reply I’m doubting myself.

You are trying to wind me up now I reckon. Antrim clubs have won 2 of the last 15 Ulster junior championships, they went on to win 1 AI. They haven’t won an Ulster intermediate since 2019, but did dominate before that.

Blackrock definitely won a Junior AI in the relatively recent past. Basically the same group of players that won the Intermediate & Premier Intermediate and were playing senior the year before last.