Allianz National Hurling League 2024

I think the head goes at times. He is nowhere near as confident as he should be in his own ability on the ball. Goal goes in earlier on and that mightn’t happen maybe. I’d stick with him.

We have no other option but the years are running out for him.

3 Likes

Yep. He gets in his own head a bit at times. Plenty of hurling but his physique is probably suited to another era. I’d fire him out in the half forward line and give it a go, especially with the lack of ball that seems to go into our full forward line these days.

1 Like

Agree completely; if there was a Callanan, Seamus Hennessey or Bonnar Maher in the wings to take his place, the show probably would’ve closed a while back. Opposition managers would still look at him as a bigger threat than the alternative despite his shortcomings.

This running off the shoulder bullshit doesn’t suit Tipp (it is killing lads like Forde) and they need to loosen the game up with long diagonals.

3 Likes

Our most talented players are all point A to B hurlers. Our runners are some of our worst.

3 Likes

‘This running off the shoulder bullshit’ is a fantastic turn of phrase :grinning:

So true.

2 Likes

I don’t think this has ever really been the case with Forde though. Like when has a team ever really game planned to stop him or put their main man marker on him? Typically he gets the plum match ups in championship hurling but doesn’t really exploit them.

Have you seen the alternatives?

I know but Forde is a nice finisher but far from a marquee forward. Let’s not pretend that he is.

I think he is a bit better than he has shown the last couple of seasons. Like-if he is on it, he can score from 70-80-90 meters and has done big damage but only ever in spells.

If there was Cathal Malone/DavidFitzgerald/Tom Morrisey style beast of a wingforward there he’d be out- but there doesn’t seem to be. If things ran his way in a game-he could theoretically do damage.

He is patently not a top athlete and the lack of athleticism around him coupled with this running game makes him look worse than he is to me.

He hasn’t near delivered though. Not at all.

Forde has been a 10-year failure at the highest level of the game.

It is a damning indictment of Tipperary that he is still a central figure on their team.

1 Like

Tipps biggest issue is that Sheedy hung in to too many of the older gang after 2019. Whatever about 2020, he should have bit the bullet in 2021 and cleared the decks. Kiely did it in 2017. Forde still had something to offer but he is the victim (if that’s the right word) of the transition that Tipp are going through. He’s too loose a hurler for the modern game and his work rate doesn’t cut it. He caused wreck in the first half of the mf in 21 but disappeared once Tipp had to hurl uphill. No disrespect to the man but he wouldn’t make either the Limerick or Kilkenny panels today

1 Like

Tipperary had nothing coming behind. Sheedy was right to stick with the old lads

5 Likes

Well they were all ranting and raving over the u20s that Cahill won with

1 Like

In hindsight it seems that way. Although Colm Bonner’s ineptitude and Cahill’s devotion to a running game rather than working with what’s at his disposal hasnt really helped player development either.

I dunno. I think lads were a bit hard on Bonnar.They were right in it up to the last 10 minutes against Limerick in 22 and gave Waterford a good rattle. Granted Cork hammered them in the last round robin but they needed a plethora of results to go their way that day

He also was coming in after Mick Ryan making a mess of things and knew he could get a compensatory bounce out of a talented bunch.

Tipperary were a slick operation in 2019 and their main players were hardly at retirement age either.

In my own opinion, if you are within reach of a championship then you just have to go for it and suffer in the short term.

6 Likes

Banners are forever as they say stateside

4 Likes

They were in their arses. They shipped their biggest ever Munster final defeat and fell over the line against Wexford all down to Dave’s pigheadedness. They ultimately got lucky in 19 and they know it too. I do think they would have still beaten kk in 19 with or without Richie Hogan but if the tactical genius that is Davy Fitzgerald had any ambition, they would have dumped them out. Shur they even got Laois in the quarter final ffs