Allianz National Hurling League 2024

Sheedy gets a lot of criticism but he knows his hurling and if he thought the U20’s/21s from 2018/2019 were any good by 2021, they’d have been playing.

If Tipp could have just got to Croke Park in 2021, they’d have still taken stopping.

To be fair they won every game in the Munster Round Robin that year too. Limerick just happened to produce an epic performance in the 2nd half of the Munster Final that blew them away. Something which was repeated two years later again.

Saw Devon Ryan in the Fitz final and he looked good…he andGer Browne would add a lot of pace

1 Like

The Limerick’s have an awful gripe over 2019.

Tipp went down to Cork and Ennis that year and won handy, beat Waterford by 20 points, won the All Ireland Final at a canter and were the best team in the land.

Limerick lost three times that summer.

4 Likes

We’ve absolutely no gripe over 19. Kilkenny bate us fair and square. We put out half a team against ye in the round robin and still only lost by 4 and ye ‘be done absolutely fuck all since which speaks for itself

2 Likes

Laois, Wexford and 14 man Kilkenny :grinning:

1 Like

More asterisks than a meteor shower

3 Likes

This is why Tipp will always be relevant

1 Like

He’s a talented player but at this level doesn’t have size or serious speed. Very skilful player. He hasn’t been helped by the transfer saga himself and his cousins were involved in and a few red cards to boot.

Browne is/was so talented but it looks like a couple of cameos during the Bonnar years are his ceiling, Browne has so much pace and athleticism but he looks to be a case of wasted talent.

From last years u20 panel, I’m surprised Jack Leamy, Peter McGarry and Eddie Ryan are not involved for developmental purposes alone.
Max Hackett is a player I like but has been crippled with injuries, he needs a clean year injury wise with his club.

2 Likes

He has made an IC career out of a Schools Reputation.
He’d be long forgotten in KK or LK with his injury history and actual performances when playing.

He is obviously talented striking wise but he offers no pace or movement to trouble defenders.

Playing him wing forward isn’t worth a fuck either.

1 Like

John Kiely might have made a decent corner back out of him

1 Like

That was all in spite of Bonnar. He was truly woeful.

1 Like

With regards 2019, Sheedy did absolutely the right thing. Stuck with the players who could get the job done. The only really poor performance was the Munster Final with Barrett and Bonner Maher out.

With regards the U21s/20s teams, I always felt that Cahill almost overachieved with them. They were very workmanlike teams, without obvious stars. My auld lad pinpointed just six players that he was ‘almost certain’ would make it at inter county level from those 2018/19 teams: Morris, O’Mara and Morgan (who have all to an extent become first teamers), Eoghan Connolly (who I think the jury is still out on), Jerome Cahill (who is not available) and the late Dillon Quirke. It was not a team of superstars.

2 Likes

I dunno but I’ll bow to your superior judgement on him. But truth be told ,Tipp toward the latter stages of the championship last year weren’t much better. Maybe there’s an argument that they got complacent against Waterford but that’s no excuse. The world and his wife including Cahill knew there was bad blood there after what happened and should have been prepared accordingly. The exit to Galway was pitiful enough and but for the fact that Galway butchered a few chances and a late goal to put a bit of gloss on it, twas a timid enough exit, especially when you see what Limerick did to Galway a fortnight later

That 2019 U20 Championship was possibly the worst of all time.

Tipp must have stuck 7 goals past some poor misfortunes from Wexford in the Semi final and had about 4 goals scored after 5 minutes of the Final.

Beat Waterford by 20 points in a Munster Semi final too. The Munster Final was the only close game.

JJ Kennedy absolutely apoplectic on tonights Extra Time on Tipp FM. Tom McGrath agrees with me about the sliotar. They are duds and not helping this RIP Hurling stuff. Apparently even Noel McGrath hit a load of frees wide for Loughmore yesterday.

The whole competition was devalued when it went from U21 to U20s.

3 Likes

Fact and it had a knock on effect at senior.

1 Like

The same with the Minor at U17. They’ve made a total fuck of it.

Galway won about 4 in a row and have nothing to show for it.

To be fair Galway were expert at doing that when it was under 18 too.

1 Like

That was unheard of before they changed the age alright.