Allianz National Hurling League 2024

It costs a minimum of €400 to have a proper camera at these games. Not to mention they probably don’t have enough of them and it’s probably more because you have to send a small crew with the camera man, traveling etc. Commentator.

RTE have to pay union rates for camera men, that’s why they can’t compete with clubber etc.

Say 32 games a weekend. With more expense for the bigger games with two or three or four cameras. Then lads in a studio analysing them.

If they did every game they wouldn’t have much change out of €100k.

Now the real madness is both teams are probably filming the games too even at the lower levels. Plus behind the goals cameras etc.
If the GAA might sort that out it would save everyone time and money.

No one really wants to watch division three hurling either. Or listen to anyone talk about it. And sure even if they did none of the analysts would have seen it.

In summary. I have some sympathy with RTE on this one

3 Likes

Wait til the ladies are demanding equal exposure.

Was a big problem for the FAI when the were rolling out watch LOI. They were already losing money streaming division one so they were using those automatic cameras.

Then the women’s premier wanted proper cameramen at the games and there no one watching it

I know, I wasn’t joking.

1 Like

I agree - I’m not saying it should be RTE. I’m saying GAA should be obliged to have the camera there tbh!

1 Like

Ya they need to sort it out. Between the two teams the gaa and rte it should be doable and cost effective. The GAA would lose money on it though.

I actually don’t know how clubber survive.

1 Like

Correct.
The with was a fella who was convicted for kicking a fella to death outside Smyths in Fairview. Manslaughter and a suspended sentence. I don’t think the chap offended again.

Tom Ryan claims only twenty odd televised games earn any return each year. Croke Park are actually objecting to the four football quarter finals potentially being required to be free to air, currently only two are required to be shown.

It clearly shouldn’t be all about money though. Where the broad interest across the country is limited, like Division 3 hurling as mentioned, they should forget about RTÉ as they will never provide more than token coverage and let each county board deal with it with private streaming services. They could easily even be put on GAAGO feeds if they want to centralise it in some way.

1 Like

The Championship this year is going to be some mess with the Euros.

An All Ireland Hurling Semi Final on July 6th is going to almost certainly directly clash with two Euro 2024 Quarter Finals which kick off at 5pm and 8pm the same Saturday.

1 Like

GaaGo is an issue as it’s a partnership with RTE so again because of unions they can’t have some shit stream.

GAAGO gets a lot of stick for not covering different matches but it’s just not economically viable.

Now the promotion of the service and games is another issue

Was aware of the partnership with RTÉ but didn’t realise even GAAGO streams need to be of a certain quality (in theory at least). Seems a pretty ridiculous situation but not surprising.

RTE cameramen are on a union rate so you can’t bring in a TY student with a phone to stream a match

1 Like

Fuckall of a crowd at this.

Canning knows absolutely fuckall. Bowe has never worn a yellow helmet.

1 Like

I thought he was spoofing when he said that alright, thanks for confirming.

This has the feel of one of those Covid games.

Seems the gaa can’t put a crowd in cork

Some amount of short hand passing.

Rotten to watch from both teams

1 Like

O Dalaigh is seriously motoring this league.

Fergal O’Connor is a great bit of stuff.