Allianz National Hurling League 2024

I backed Galway -20. Definitely the biggest handicap I’d taken.

1 Like

A score line befitting the jersey

Tipp did what they had to i suppose. Physically look a bit bigger than usual. Few lads showed well and some didn’t. To be expected for the time of year. Nice to see Jake Morris putting in a MOTM performance after a rough few days.

Dublin’s old failing (hurling) is still there.

1 Like

The worrying thing is Jake Morris is probably the only standout forward we have these days (perhaps with the exception of Forde). Hard to tell much from that game alright.

He’s well ahead of his colleagues alright.

There’s competition for places in the backline and it looks solid enough with Barrett, Breen, Kennedy and Heffernan to come back in.

Midfield and upwards looks a bit more unsettled.

How did Connolly go MF?

Player ratings would be appreciated.

Hit in nice and early to Parnell Pk today in order to get a parking space ahead of @caulifloweredneanderthal. Was in for the warm ups and the first noticeable difference was the size of both teams. It was men vs boys. Dublin are a small team without O Donnell and Sutcliffe. Chris Crummy also, saw him there. By all accounts he arrived back from his travels during the week and is back training already.

Tipp went with the advantage of a stiff first half breeze and used their physicality to pin Dublin into their half. Their was a real aggression and purpose to their PO defence. Bullying Dublin players under 50/50 ball and breaks. Their shot execution and execution was outstanding in the first quarter with 12pts. From there they kept Dublin at arms length easily kicking for home in the final 20 mins with 2 good goals. Conor Bowe and Bryan O Mara looked good at 5 +7. Jake looked dangerous inside and did a lot of selfless running opening space. Shelly was good in goals with some great POs. On the negative side John Mcgrath didnt look great at 11. He had a few nice touches but the game passed him by a bit.

As said previously Dublin were poor. They seemed to have no plan on how to work their own PO. It seemed they were being coached through it on the line rather than on the training pitch on how to do it. Young Brian Hayes did well in mf but looks like a minor. Cian O Sullivan showed flashes with some good scores bit is not the 90% freetaker you need at this level. Dublin most likely looking at the 4th place playoff in 6 weeks time. They’ll need Sutcliffe, Burke, Doyle, O Donnell and Crummy back to get a win there.

10 Likes

Connolly started well with a pair of points and won a bit of good breaking ball. Hit a peach off a crossfield sideline and the end of the first half to set up a point. Died out of it bit then. He struggled with the pace of Hayes.

3 Likes

Seems to be a bit of confusion about this but as far as I understand the final place in the 2025 top tier will be decided based on best record of the fourth placed teams in 1a and 1b, with a playoff only being the final tiebreaker if the teams can’t be separated based on points, scoring diff etc.

1 Like

Tipp player ratings

Shelly 8

Ryan 7
Maher 7
Morgan 7.5

Bowe 7.5
Byrne 6.5
O Mara 7

Connolly 7
Connors 6.5

O Connor 8
McGrath 7
Tynan 7

Ormonde 7
Morris 8
Ryan 7

Subs.
All 7s - easy ride a bike going downhill with the wind behind you.

2 Likes

Interesting that. Dublin with an advantage so as there are two whipping boy teams in their group (Antrim/ WM) compared to only Offaly in the other group.

A friend of mine was coming from Straffan. He was parked up by the ground at 1pm :see_no_evil:

Yes, looks like a good chance of a bigger name losing out. We know only too well it can be easier said than done to get back out of the second division.

1 Like

Was there much craic in the Chraobh before or after?

I didn’t stick my head in. Had the crew in tow. Was beside Craobh stalwart (Hedgo @Fagan_ODowd ) with his family. They were going supping there after. Topping up was all after a big tear out last night.

2 Likes

Thought Shelly was jittery enough in the goals and fumbled a few, hit some poor puck outs as well, one at least straight out over the sideline. Backs gave away a few needless soft frees, Full-forward line toiled in the 1st half as well.
I actually thought the much maligned Robert Byrne held the centre pretty well (after the 1st Dublin point) .
Generous ratings to Shelly,J McGrath, Tynan and Ormonde.

Agree rating

Shelly’s puckouts went into meltdown for 10 minutes after half time but it looked a tricky wind.

As soon as he sent a big boomer, O’Connor won it in the air.

They were excellent in first half to be fair and he does have a serious range.

Tipp have an awful lot of work done it seems. Bad injuries from last year cleared up as well.

Look dangerous tbf.

No tipping competition for the National League this year. It used to be a blue ribband event here every year.
But such is the level of interest now.
The GAA has fucking killed TFK.