Another horrific accident in Donegal

This you @anon7035031? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Harrowing pictures of the 4 funerals on News just now. You wouldn’t be right after watching them. Also struck me how people of rural Ireland can pull out all the stops to make someone’s unbearable cross just a small bit lighter to carry on days like today.

4 Likes

I’d like to hear a priest use a sermon to get stuck into everyone and everything responsible and irresponsible. It takes some spirit of entitlement and arrogance to allow young lads risk themselves and others- not that I was any better.
There’s plenty that could be done if the will was there.

2 Likes

Not the time or the place for that right now.

Balls. It’s exactly the time and place

5 Likes

Snow-covered Errigal in the background I’m guessing? Looked like scenes from Iceland or somewhere.

you have a point
if these lads had crashed into someone or knocked a pedestrian causing another death they’d be post humously referred to as bastards, etc and you see it from the original posts in the tread, in 2010 those guys all dead were called a “shower of fucks” on here.

now there is only pity for these 4 fellas today and how they were seen as outstanding fellas, now i have no doubt they were but its probably easier as their recklessness only impacted themselves

the double standards on here and elsewhere about this are shocking - in 2010 the fella who survived was deemed to be a hideous individual now these lads because they are dead are only spoken well of,
its obviosuly all horrifically sad but yes i think it needs to be said @glenshane

3 Likes

Was there drink taken or just reckless driving?

You’d imagine a bit of both.

1 Like

Didn’t one of priests at one of the funerals tell folks that when they get in a car to think about things and drive responsibly and get everyone home safe.

i dont know Taz but he certainly had a right to do so

I’ve been wondering that too. Didn’t see anything said of it.
@mickee321 the 2010 fella turned out to be a horrible fella and got done for subsequent driving offences I think. And it’s fairly easy to see that 8 lads getting into a car locked is pretty stupid. No-one deserves to die like that but it’s thick.

It’d be regular enough at a suicide funeral for priests to ask people to get help if they’re feeling down or if things weren’t right with them. It’s hardly inappropriate for priests at funerals like this to ask people to be careful behind the wheel of a car.

Sad business
dunlewey%20church%20%26%20snowy%20errigal

1 Like

Yep it was mentioned at one of the funerals about driving safely.

That’s a lovely church.

1 Like

One of the priests did make reference to driver safety and taking responsibility

Look 3 posts up Gil ffssake.

Yeah I think so. The scenes reminded me of that infamous Yeats line when he partnered up terrible and beauty. The snowy backdrop was almost an exclamation point for the sense of tragedy and loss. There were guards of honour too as the funeral cortege passed by with lads only the same age as themselves. I think nearly everyone to a man made the sign of the cross which in today’s climate mightnt appear to be the cool thing to do. But whether you believe or don’t believe sometimes the reality of life is too grim and bleak to countenance there not being anything more after this. They appear to be remarkable communities up there and you had people coming home from Dubai, Australia etc to provide support. Hopefully there are lessons learned from this and no further loss of life in these circumstances.

6 Likes

There’d need to be a bit more than hope. Is there an education program, any talk of compulsory speed limiters for new drivers, more cameras, fines, driving bans, the odd gard here and there etc. Can the gaa do anything other than provide guards of honour