Argentina Backers Sign In

The lovely ladies thread should be filled with Argentinian ladies in tribute to the world cup win…
I remember back in the late 90s in UL there was an Argentinian lass there. A vision. You would spend hours in the library to get a look at her. She was with some Irish roaster which drove us even more demented.

There was no real mass emigration to Argentina after 1889, over what became known as the Dresden Affair

1 Like

:argentina: 𝐀𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐥 𝐃𝐢 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐚:

“I remember very well that one day we were bagging coal with our father, and it was very cold and raining. We were under the tin roof. It was tough being there.”

“After a while, I would go to school, it was warmer and better there. But my father would stay bagging there all day without any break because if he didn’t make it to sell the coal at that period, we wouldn’t have anything to eat, just that simple.”

“And I thought, and I really believed, ‘There’s gonna come a time when everything changes for the better.’ That’s why I owe football everything.” :pleading_face::soccer: :argentina:

[Via theplayerstribune.com]

5 Likes

A brilliant player, can understand why he was completely overwhelmed in the final reading that.

To not only secure the financial future of the family, but also bring back a world cup, and score in the final, unreal.

DiMaria has a Champions League, World Cup and Copa America now, the full set.

2 Likes

But no Copa Libertadores?

Dont think he ever had a shot at it, not familiar with his early career, but its an amazing career accross all those places.

Did a few seasons with Rosario at start of his career. They wouldn’t be chasing titles at home, let alone on the continent

1 Like

Won an Olympics gold too

1 Like

I knew DiMaria had a bit of Nogra in him

Reminds me of the time when Alexis Sanchez was asked was he worried about the toughness and physicality of the England team.

“We are a tougher team than England, the problem for teams like England is that everything is so easy for them.

I used to wash cars for such little money just so I had enough money to buy my football boots. When you are at academies like Manchester United and Arsenal then everything is just given to you.

“If I had failed I would be working 15-hour days on construction sites and still not be earning enough to live. Football saved me, and I don’t think any England players could say that.”

2 Likes

Poverty and Dictatorship Bill

2 Likes

His later career really shows that there is only so much tread on the tyre. Lot of South American forwards like that.

He went round the clock for about 6-8 seasons. He wasn’t minded at all.

1 Like

Sake

No Thank You Do Not Want GIF by HULU

Shoddy workmanship there, even if it was a bit over-stressed.

Father Ted | GIFGlobe

Silly feckers one and all

2 Likes

Promptly signs for chelsea

Good one lads