Argentina v Germany - World Cup Final 2014

As it says.

Third final meeting between the teams*, a new record.

Germany rightly go in as favourites. However Argentina have not conceded a goal so far in the knockout stages. Lionel Messi has not been at his brilliant best in this tournament but this is the match he was born to play in. I think we can do it.

Also Bill O’Herlihy’s final match.

There will be a colour clash so predictions as to what colours each team will wear are welcome.

I predict Germany will wear all their Flamengo kit with Argentina in their first choice kit. Argentina to win 2-1 with Messi scoring twice.

*Or first, if you count West Germany as a separate entity.

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 980713, member: 2660”]As it says.

There will be a colour clash so predictions as to what colours each team will wear are welcome.

I predict Germany will wear all their Flamengo kit with Argentina in their first choice kit. Argentina to win 2-1 with Messi scoring twice.

[/QUOTE]
It really would be a travesty if the tournament ended without this Argentina away jersey getting an outing -

http://www.hdwallpapersfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/pamela_david_hot_girl_soccer.jpg

Oops, wrong picture, here we go - :clap::clap::clap:

http://images.prodirectsport.com/v3_products/V3_1_Main/68798.jpg

However, given that the traditional kit was worn by Argentina in 1986, and the Germans in 1990, one would expect to see La Albiceleste worn by Messi and Co. on Sunday night. Must say I really dislike that German away effort and a return to their traditional green would be widely welcomed. It would also prevent the Argies from wearing the classic black shorts and white socks combination :mad:.

Head says Germans, Heart says Argentina…I’m going with Argentina.

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 980713, member: 2660”]As it says.

Third final meeting between the teams*, a new record.

Germany rightly go in as favourites. However Argentina have not conceded a goal so far in the knockout stages. Lionel Messi has not been at his brilliant best in this tournament but this is the match he was born to play in. I think we can do it.

Also Bill O’Herlihy’s final match.

*Or first, if you count West Germany as a separate entity.[/QUOTE]

Would you not think Sid these 2 things about Messi?

1. He is playing a different and more selfless role for Argentina as compared to his role with Barca
  2. He is surrounded by better players who he would have better telepathy with at Barca than Argentina
    Basically i’m saying i think he has been excellent, brilliant in fact, but its just another role.
    @Rocko - Based on our previous Barca discussion, may the above be an indication that Messi is maturing and possibly less selfish, thus allowing more room and likelihood of the Barca front 3 thing working. Remembering Suarez is used to sharing responsibility already and Neymar seems like a chap that even for his age and profile is reasonably mature and should in time enjoy the fruits of his team mates skill levels.

I’m just glad to be going home and to get to watch more of Barca next season.

Anyway, on the Final, Germany as Sid says deserve their favouitism. Its going to be a very interesting tactical battle. I think there will be plenty frienzied play and there is a ridiculous amount of give and go from both sides in the middle sector.

An early Argie goal could possibly ignite the greatest Final ever. A draw at half time and we could go all the way to penalities as players will understandably start to get nervous and start to fear being the one who makes a game changing mistake.

I think Germany will go hard early again, although 2nd guessing them is like 2nd guessing Kerry Football managers, a waste of ones time.

[QUOTE=“Jimmy Mc Nulty, post: 980719, member: 1168”]It really would be a travesty if the tournament ended without this Argentina away jersey getting an outing -

http://www.hdwallpapersfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/pamela_david_hot_girl_soccer.jpg

Oops, wrong picture, here we go - :clap::clap::clap:

.[/QUOTE]
There is evidence to suggest she just banged the cameraman before this photo.

Messi was poor today but point taken that he has stood up when really needed in previous matches (I missed all but the last three minutes of the quarter-final so can’t really say how he did in that), and is still certainly a contender for Player of the Tournament if he can be influential in the final. He has to drop much deeper with Argentina than with Barcelona to receive the ball but his passing and set up play have been of a high standard - the run against Switzerland to set up Di Maria was the key moment of the tournament so far for Argentina. You sense that he’s having to dig out performances at the moment though rather than them coming easily to him.

Argentina have set up well tactically in the knockout matches - the defence and midfield have been much stronger than I expected them to be and it’s actually their attack that has disappointed. They should be able to keep it much tighter at the back than in the 2010 match between these teams and perhaps that lesson could benefit them in dealing with a German team that is exactly same group of players as then.

Isn’t the Player of the Tournament picked before the final? I thought that was the case with Zidane anyway.

Messi did very little last night but he had little or no opportunity to do anything. He was extremely patient if nothing else. He did drop very deep, particularly once Palacio was on, but he conserved an awful lot of energy (other players might be accused of laziness) by his positioning and lack of movement. In a similar underperforming team, Ronaldo tends to take on too much and get frustrated. Messi is waiting for his opportunities, he nearly carved one out last night with a great cross for Maxi, and Messi of course has a great passing game that allows him to be effective even when he’s not threatening to score.

I’ve been disappointed at how Lavezzi has helped him. He has had a disappointing tournament and has made very few notable contributions. He should be able to take attention from Messi by being a proper threat in his own right but with PSG he seemed to have regressed in the last couple of seasona and that’s noticeable here.

Mascherano has been simply immense - I think it should be between him, Muller and Neuer for player of the tournament, if votes are cast at this stage. He has held the midfield together and covered for his back four, who have done well themselves but helped hugely by his positioning.

Should be set up to be a nicely balanced final. The Dutch would have offered nothing other than Robben. He might have had a field day against Howedes but they were very negative in possession last night and would have been equally conservative against Germany. All the German games have been enjoyable. Even when they were poor against Algeria, the game was very open. The same is true of the Ghana encounter. They are determined to attack at pace, and I think that will be at a level that Argentina just haven’t encountered yet.

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 980748, member: 1”]Isn’t the Player of the Tournament picked before the final? I thought that was the case with Zidane anyway.

[/QUOTE]

I believe the vote for it closes shortly before the end of 90 minutes in the final, hence why Zidane’s headbutt did not impact on him winning it in 2006

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 980748, member: 1”]

Should be set up to be a nicely balanced final. The Dutch would have offered nothing other than Robben. He might have had a field day against Howedes but they were very negative in possession last night and would have been equally conservative against Germany. All the German games have been enjoyable. Even when they were poor against Algeria, the game was very open. The same is true of the Ghana encounter. They are determined to attack at pace, and I think that will be at a level that Argentina just haven’t encountered yet.[/QUOTE]

thought Hoewdes has been really good for Germany from what I’ve seen of him…Would you think Germnay will have a plan for Messi or could he in fact enjoy more freedom than in other game as Germany are so attacking?..I thought Demichelles got caught a few times last night but Holland didn’t punish him…I can see Germany dominating Argentina in midfield and winning 3-1…

Correct I remember it was announced on commentary while the match was still ongoing that ZZ was player of the tournament. In 02 it was also announced about Oliver Kahn and he dropped one in of course in the final.

My nominations for POTT are- Rodriguez, Robben, Messi & Keylor Navas. At the moment Seamie is winning it for me anyway unless Messi does something special in the final. I actually think Germany will win with a bit to spare however, I am going to back them minus two.

He’s played well enough but Hummels has helped him out a fair bit when he’s been playing and he looks very uncomfortable there.

Like a musing Eamon Dunphy I have followed Portugal in RD1, then France to quarters, then Holland in the Semi’s and now I throw my support behind Germany.

Messi has been really poor in the knockout phase.

zlatan was right when he said a world cup without him would be shit

+1

It’s been dire in the knockout stages, as soon as Italy and Suarez exited the entertainment levels went down.

Germany will be wearing all white. Argentina in all blue.

Hard to see the Argies coming back from that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjGi8Xqu7MA

Is it acceptable to be properly excited about this match? Not just a vague anticipation but a genuine giddiness. If we win tonight nobody will stop the march of Germany.

We’e going to fuck you up good.

I’m making my debut for local side tonight and then getting up a few hours later to watch the match. In short I too am excited. This is K2 (Everest is a wet Tuesday night at the Britannia)

Who’s the local side ray?