Arsene Wenger - Adieu!

George Graham was the transformational manager of the modern era at Woolwich. When Graham took over in May 1986, Woolwich’s FA Cup win in 1979 was the only silverware Woolwich had won in 15 years since the double in 1971. Woolwich only finished in the top 3 in the league on two occasions in that 15 year period. Graham immediately delivered silverware in his first season, defeating the all conquering Liverpool side of that era in the 1987 League Cup Final (even with Ian Rush scoring first). Graham won two league titles, two league Cups, one FA Cup and a European trophy in eight seasons between 1987-94. Woolwich were in a reasonably strong position when Wenger took over in September 1996 with Bruce Rioch just missing out on 4th place in 1995/96 to Aston Villa on goals scored.

Wenger similar to George Graham had a productive first full eight seasons as Woolwich manager winning three leagues and five FA Cups. After the 2005 FA Cup win Wenger presided over the longest trophy famine in Woolwich’s history.

Mate, seriously, the “Woolwich” thing isn’t even close to being funny. Do you think everyone chuckles every time you use it? Do you get a little fit of the giggles when you type it?

6 Likes

Dont bro. Some simpletons on here are amused by the “Roker Park”, etc shite. No accounting for intelligence or taste.

There’s a pile of terribly unfunny TFKisms, it’s no worse than most

That’s the way it’s gone I suppose.

1 Like

Maybe ask @Rocko to close this thread as well. Just like you requested the 2017/18 thread be locked after losing at Swansea in January. Where were you for your beloved Arsene in his hour of need in South Wales?

No shame for the Arsenal to lose at Swansea.

It may well turn out to be the case that both this season’s major European trophy winners suffered a similar fate at the Vetch Field back in January.

Incorrect, Brian Cody is.

2 Likes

The shame is in abandoning your club and the manager you profess to love after a loss at the Vetch.

Wenger is Arsenal football club

1 Like

Hardly abandoned them, went to two games at the Emirates after that game.

Some people actually do stuff outside of TFK, Geoff.

Don’t mind him Geoff, it’s comic genius. I know a lad who refers to Manchester United as Man Ure. It is so funny.

I thought the pitch in Swansea was St Helen’s ??

Correct. Scene of Sir Garfield Sobers perfect six.

So just a case of having a sulk and throwing the toys out of the pram after losing at Swansea to get the thread closed down.

@GeoffreyBoycott being a real sneery cunt in this thread. Quelle surprise as Mr Wenger might say.

1 Like

He’s the same guy who excuses a trophy less manager with the financial resources line.

Go easy on Arsene. He’s retiring. He did end that nine year trophy less run you referred to by beating Hull in the 2014 FA Cup Final. It was a changed landscape post 2004 and the Invincibles. Arsene didn’t have the financial resources to compete with Chelsea financed by asset stripping of the Russian state, Abu Dhabi financed Manchester City and the financial wizardry of the Glazers at Man U.

As a pretend spurs fan, I wish wenger all the best. Incredible for a while with the arse, lucky initially to inherit such a strong defence and of course one of my favourite ever players, Denis bergkemp. What a couple of teams they had.
Seaman
Dixon Adams keown cole
Overmars Vieira petit perez
Denis henry

I would rate the 1990/91 George Graham Championship winning team as the best Woolwich team I’ve seen. They lost just one league game that season and only conceded 18 goals.