Ash Wednesday

Am eating a ham and cheese sandwich right now

I thought it was Good Friday we werenā€™t supposed to eat meat?

Nah, tis both.

Anyone getting the aul ashes?

I knew it was Ash Wednesday but the meat thing hadnā€™t triggered with me at all until I read this thread this morning. I had cod for lunch as it happens but Iā€™ll be having some ham and cheese rolls around 7pm this evening, followed by a Cadburyā€™s Creme Egg and cup of tea approximately 3 hours after that.

I wonder will Bertie still put the big lump of ashes on his muttonhead now that he is no longer Taoiseach?

I was wondering that meself this morning when I saw the blackend foreheads.

I suspect he kept to tradition and wiped his forehead after cleaning out the firegrate.

This thread is a non question. What is Ash Wednesday?

You too can be saved flano.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday

Had a nice Harry Ramsdens for Lunch and have a nice veggie Omelette in the pan under the grill as I type. I quite like the Black Fast days, nice to have an excuse not to eat meat.

Would Irish people still expect the politicians to have the ashes?

Today is National Smokers Quitday I believe, havenā€™t smoked since Sunday Evening, this giving up lark seems like a piece of pish. However tā€™will be hard when weā€™re halfways through a pint on Friday Evening:(!!

I ate meat today for the first time ever on an Ash Wednesday. Completely forgot about it.

May abstain tomorrow instead - just in case there is anything to it.

Like most of my generation, I will get the ashes and wont eat meat today.

Do any of ye younger folk observe Ash Wednesday?

No.

Yes.

1 Like

No

1 Like

No.

Iā€™m an a la carte catholic.

1 Like

Iā€™m a permanently lapsed Catholic

1 Like

Is there fish on that menu ?

Iā€™ve noticed you championing the Catholic cause on other threads so I had you down as one who would observe the religious element of today.