Ashes 2010/11

Was it Brisbane where Collingwood and Pietersen made great hundreds? Punter was then dropped by Ashley Giles on 35 and he went on to make 140 odd.

Catches win matches really. Canā€™t wait for later on now. Hope Aussies win toss, bat, bat , bat & bat some more and then weā€™ll see what England are made of?

:rolleyes: Not since 1987 they havenā€™t.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/cricket/3243515/Countdown-to-the-Ashes-Our-WAGs-and-theirs.html

MBBā€™s Ashes preview right here, [canā€™t post pictures] :popcorn:

[quote=ā€œFitzy, post: 531392ā€]
:rolleyes: Not since 1987 they havenā€™t. [/quote]

:rolleyes:

Then maybe your little preview should have read something like

ā€œTheyā€™ll never get a better chance to win their first Ashes series on Australian soil since 1987ā€

you waffling cuntā€¦

Iā€™ll predict Australia 2-1 England and Wales.

That was Adelaide I think. If Iā€™m not mistaken, England became one of the few (if not the first) team to make 550 in an innings and lose the match. Aussies pretty much matched their score, and Warney went nuts on the last day. England batted for two sessions and scored fuck all. I think Collingwood occupied the crease for ages for virtually nothing. Aussies knocked off the target with ease in the last session. What a team that was!

What a day that was, I was in and out of the car all day and every time I switched the radio on, another wicket had fallen. Canā€™t wait for the ABC Grandstand team commentary, Jimmy Maxwell, Peter Roebuck, Kerry Oā€™Keefe, Glen Mitchell, Jonathan Agnew, great commentary team.

I know E&Ws record over in Oz is not the best but I think 2-1 is a great price to win the first test.

Australian Team:
Ricky Ponting Ā©, Shane Watson, Simon Katich, Michael Clarke, Mike Hussey, Marcus North, Brad Haddin, Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Xavier Doherty, Ben Hilfenhaus.

Doherty is a big risk, a player with very average first class figures. Johnson should do well, cloud still over Clarkeā€™s fitness. I reckon Hilfenhaus however could be the game breaker for Australia.

England team (likely): Andrew Strauss Ā©, Alastair Cook, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Ian Bell, Matt Prior, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, James Anderson, Steven Finn.

Will Pietersen score? Strauss should rack up a big total. I have doubts about Jimmy Anderson in Australia, but Broad should go well.

Looks like a nice, bouncy wicket, but thereā€™s a strong possibility of showers throughout the 5 days, so a draw for me the likeliest result.

From the ABC website
Gabba to provide fireworks
Posted November 25, 2010 09:05:00

Map: Brisbane 4000

The sun came out in Brisbane on Wednesday, easing furrows on the batsmenā€™s brows, but the Gabba curator believes his lively wicket will still provide first-day fireworks and more on the second.

Fears of a Gabba greentop were allayed on Wednesday when morning rain cleared to give a full day of sunshine which helped dry out a Brisbane pitch which held a bucketload of moisture.

Head groundsman Kev Mitchell jnr said the fine weather, after weeks of rain and gloom, ensured the opening day of the Ashes would see a wicket almost as good as those fast and bouncy pitches he ha tailor-made over the past decade.

Australian skipper Ricky Ponting rates the Gabba the best pitch in the world and was delighted with the look of the main strip on match eve, a strong indication he will stick with his usual practice of batting first if he wins the toss.

Mitchell believed that would be the best call if the skies remained clear on the first day, but the possible return of overcast conditions would make life tough for batting against the swinging ball.

ā€œIf it was a nice seeing day it probably wouldnā€™t be a bad move (to bat first),ā€ he said.

"If itā€™s one of those cloudy humid days then it will swing.

ā€œIt will probably be a touch slow on the first day and once the roll wears off it will quicken up on the second day which might be the best for bowling.ā€

Queensland was bowled out for 96 and 75 by NSW under gloomy skies on day two of its Sheffield Shield match a month ago but the sun has ensured there is far less grass on the Test wicket.

Australia will take three front-line quicks, plus medium pacer Shane Watson, into the Test after omitting Doug Bollinger, meaning Tasmanian spinner Xavier Doherty will make his debut and have an important role to play from day three.

ā€œI think (the pitch) looks particularly good,ā€ said Ponting.

ā€œToday it looks exactly like it looks here a day before the game starts.ā€

The Gabba has been Australiaā€™s best friend over the past 20 years, with the home side winning 16 Tests, all convincingly.

It is a result wicket, shown by the fact the four draws there over that period were heavily rain affected.

ā€œHistory suggests that for every touring team coming to Australia that they generally find here and Perth the places harder to adjust and adapt to,ā€ Ponting said.

ā€œWe handle these conditions very, very well and opposition teams struggle a bit.ā€

England has had an extended three-match preparation in Perth, Adelaide and Hobart, but skipper Andrew Strauss admitted he was unsure what to expect if he had to open on Thursday morning.

ā€œI donā€™t know how the wicketā€™s going to play,ā€ he said. ā€œIt may change quite a lot in character between today and tomorrow.ā€

EW have prepared well and sending the front line bowlers to Brisbane early was probably a good call. Australia still look very very dodgy, but on home soil anythings possible. Iā€™m still going with a 2-1 EW victory. I bloody hope it doesnā€™t happen though.

Couldnā€™t see a draw here Fitzy. Gabba pitch with a bit of green on top and a forecast of showers. Itā€™s rare enough for the draw to be trading as high as 4.5 before any Test and there are good reasons for it here.

Iā€™m gonna watch the toss to whet my appetite for a dayā€™s play I wonā€™t be able to watch because Iā€™m going to bed. Not sure itā€™s my greatest decision.

Strauss wins it and E&W will batā€¦

Hā€™on E&W to fuckā€¦hammer these convicts

I wonder how rattled the likes of Special Olymiakos and Fitzy will get during this, will SO* play the hunger strikers card again :lol:

• at least i think it was him

:smiley: It was, that was fucking hilarious. The Brits have come up trumps with a loan for us this week. Getting behind their boys Down Under is the least we can do for them now Iā€™d say.

E&W need a decent platform from the opening pair. Strauss averages 46 when he wins the toss and 53 when he loses, stat fiends.

:smiley: 800 years of oppression and all thatā€¦

I just hope its a cracking series.

Braz, the weather could affect things and the fact that these are twp fairly evenly matched sides who will be apprehensive going into this. I know the Gabba doesnā€™t lend itself well to draws, but this could be an exception.

You can beat the wife but you canā€™t beat test match cricket :clap:

What was that I was saying about Hilfenhaus? :clap: :clap: :pint: :popcorn:

Strauss gone for a duck first over. Well, well, well

Trott gone. 42/2

Lunch Day 1, 2/86. Even stevens really, should have been 3 wickets if Doherty hadnā€™t dropped an absolute sitter off Cook.

When is the Sydney one on? Might be able to get tickets, Fisty with your cricket contacts in the bush you must be able to rustle a few?