Aston Villa - early season form

[quote=“KIB man”]id say some fans were scared off by the utter muck served up in the uefa cup qualifying games. the first half was excellent and 36,000 still aint a bad crowd. barry used the ball cleverly at all times, scored a goal and was involved in most things that were positive about the villa. i remember that one he pulled out of alright. he cant tackle anyway but he got stuck in every other time.
petrov doesnt seem to finish out the 90 mins any time I have watched him for villa. to be fair he was pretty good tonight. he could have looked for the ball a little more in the last 15 minutes tho and spread it around a bit more.[/quote]

barry is an average player playing for an average club

good win for average club

tried out sopcast for the first time today. are we seeing the end of subscribing to Sky? the reception was perfect

I missed the first half and by the time i joined the action for the second half we were 1-0 up. barry with the penalty after an insane tackle by tight arse bramble on gabby.

the team was set out the same as thursday night as villa looked to continue on winning ways. an absolute deluge poured down after half time as villa had to weather a bit of a set piece storm from wigan. I saw wigan out battle man city a few weeks back and with the conditions deteriorating by the minute i thought we would do well to hold on for a win.

wigan’s hand was further strengthened when gareth barry was forced off on the hour with an ankle injury. despite having sidwell on the bench, MON surprised me by bringing on john carew despite his midweek exertions of a different kind. The turnaround was remarkable as carew totally changed the game around. he was on the field a matter of minutes when he headed a corner off agbonlahor’s shins into the net. next off a brilliant ball from young released agbonlahor who skinned scharner and crossed brilliantly for carew to head home. villa were home and hosed. we kind of switched off for the next 10 minutes as wigan came far more into it. we were defending far too deep and cuellar was finding it tough against heskey. MON again made a good substitution giving the excellent luke young a rest, bringing the more physical davies into centre half and shifting cuellar to right back. sidwell came on for the last 5 mins and scored a cracker on his first league appearance. the best thing was 4-0 didnt even flatter us cos we messed up at least 3 good counter attacks in the second half.

the second half was the most dangerous i have ever seen a villa side going forward. milner looks like he has settled now with 2 fine performances in a row. ashley young is the best winger in the premiership at the moment. gabby agbonlahor is developing into a fine striker. john carew is quality. what a swap deal with baros that was!! shorey has improved a lot in the last 2 games and attacked well today. luke young has been an excellent signing.

MON still has a difficult choice at centre half. cuellar wasnt as good today and davies bar that horrendous first half at chelsea has played well all season. laursen gave zaki a bit of a lesson today. even though he was only on for five minutes i think steve sidwell will really improve our team. hopefully the sightings of craig gardner will prove as rare as an alan smith goal for the rest of the season. MON has again some tough decisions to make on who to partner with gareth barry in the centre of the park, sidwell, petrov or reo coker? the 4-5-1/4-3-3is a viable alternative for the rest of the season also.

only slight negative is friedel. i know he made some good saves today but he isnt catching much he stupidly parried a cross in the second half out to de ridder who sliced wide. that could have been costly. dont think he has really settled yet. the switch to zonal marking at defending corners is having some painful teething problems at the moment but we held our luck today.

blackburn at home on wednesday.

Sopcast is hit and miss. Can be perfect or can be shite. You need to have tvants installed as well so you can have the choice of either - not every game will have a decent stream on sopcast.

Sidwell was waiting a long time for his league debut - are the fans happy that he’s just sitting on the bench or are they impatient that he gets overlooked every week?

[quote=“therock67”]Sopcast is hit and miss. Can be perfect or can be shite. You need to have tvants installed as well so you can have the choice of either - not every game will have a decent stream on sopcast.

Sidwell was waiting a long time for his league debut - are the fans happy that he’s just sitting on the bench or are they impatient that he gets overlooked every week?[/quote]

he has been injured all season rock. only been back on the bench the last couple of weeks. dont know why MON gardner was brought on ahead of him against ajax but that has hopefully been put right now.

Out fought at St James Park

A disapointing result last night at St James Park as Newcastle emerged victors 2-0. Game was there to be won throughout against limited opposition but a wonderful Martins goal was crucial. The same man made it 2-0 only a few minutes from time.

The Villa side saw one change - Petrov was injured so Carew started in a very attacking 4-4-2 formation. Newcastle also adopted a 4-4-2 formation with Guiterrez and Duff on the wings. The first half was a pretty spiteful affair with a few nasty tackles flying in. Villa though looked a lot more dangerous on the counter attack. Carew was holding the ball up really well and countless occasions Enrique was caught out of position by balls played down the line. Butt and Barton were getting stuck in in midfield but Laursen was dominating Ameobi in the air. The perenially inconsistent Martins was looking very lively tho. He turned Cuellar beautifully at one point before blazing over.

Still Villa had two gilted edged chances before the break. Firstly, Agbonlahor and Milner combined well on the edge of the box. Milner rolled a nice ball across the box that somehow rolled between Gabby’s legs. An absolute shocker. Villa cleverly attacked again moments later. Gabby fed Ashley Young one on one with Beye. A brilliant turn left Beye floundering but his shot rebounded off Given’s forehead and out for a corner.

The second half started with Villa again in the ascendancy. For some reason Barry and Milner seemed to take the majority of the set plays last night. I just felt the majority of the deliveries were off. Barton was growing in influence in midfield. Martins certaintly had the better of Cuellar but it was difficult to see where they would get a goal from. However the goal did come, Barton played in Martins who brilliantly turned Laursen and fired a great shot past Friedel.

MON made a shambolic tactical decision to try and get Villa back into the match. Fair enough bringing on Sidwell but Reo Coker was stupidly moved to right back. Luke Young who had Duff in his pocket was moved to left back. Shorey who wasnt playing that bad was taken off. It was a stupid change. Suddenly Duff started getting more freedom down the left. Guitterez also down the right. To be fair Newcastle saw out the last 15 mins well. Butt hit the post with a free kick. They generally looked dangerous now as Villa were forced to chase the game. Young didnt seem to really want to know after a clash of heads and after the Barton altercation Gabby also wasnt the same.

Gareth Barry after an excellent start to the game was caught in possesion a good bit so Villa were forced to play too many long balls. I dont think we are good enough yet to dominate a team by keeping the ball and playing around them. We look far more potent in swift counter attacks. Tiredness seemed a factor in the second half. With that in mind maybe a 4-5-1 would have suited the side better. Newcastle killed the game off with about five minutes to go. Awful defending from Reo Coker saw Guitterez walz in behind. Cuellar didnt go to close him down and Martins had the simple task of tapping in. Game over.

For Villa, Luke Young, Laursen and Carew were best. Reo Coker won some good balls in the first half but is so limited on the ball. Barry started very well but faded and was caught far too often on the ball. In the second half Barton and Butt outplayed our midfield duo and that was disapointing. Milner tried very hard and did create a gilt edged chance for Gabby. After an early yellow card I thought Ashley Young would take Beye to the cleaners. He showed his class with that turn to create his chance. He also delivered some quality crosses that Carew and Gabby didnt anticipate but to be fair Duff and Guitterez worked very hard to track back at all times. It was rare that Young got one on one with either full back and that is disapointing.

The biggest negative on the night was the performance of Cuellar. Martins had the beating of him throughout. This seemed to unnerve him as usually he is good on the ball but he hit far too many long balls last night. Sidwell looked badly short of fitness when introduced. A very bad tackle on Martins was his main impact.

For Newcastle, their defence was a lot better than usual. Barton had a fine game in midfield. Yet he is still a liability. An unnecessary vicious stamp on Luke Young could have been a red card in itself. Duff despite working extremely hard was well held until late on. Guitterez and Martins were dangerous throughout. JFK had instilled a desire and workrate very similar to his Wimbeldon side. Yet they lack quality all over the park.

Thats a very long winded way of saying Villa were clueless going forward and Agbonlahor missed a sitter.

Never thought Bartons deserved antything more than a yellow at best for the tackle.

Credit to Newcastle, they showed some decent spirit last night, happy for them.

I only saw the 2nd half yesterday and Newcastle were the much better team for most of this and the only one who really looked like scoring.

Villa looked tired and their limited squad might start to struggle when the games come thick and fast at christmas.

Barton’s tackle on Young was over the top but I wouldn’t call in a vicious stamp. It was a 50/50 ball.

If that tackle had of been on Rooney, Gerrard or Ronaldo it would have been a certain red. It was a 50/50 ball instead of going in hard for it Barton acted like the coward that he is. Foot over the ball and stamped down on Luke Young. He played well last night but I cant see this season ending well for him. Hopefully I will be proved right and he ends up in a mental home/jail where he belongs.

Rubbish.

I watched the second half of this last night too and Newcastle thoroughly deserved their win. I can’t help but wonder where Martin O’Neill’s going with Villa and if he regrets leaving Celtic when you consider the huge gulf in quality from his Larsson, Sutton, Moravcik, Lennon, Lambert and Mjallby side down to modest players like Shorey, Reo-Coker, Milner, Agbonlahor etc. His famed motivational powers have probably got the maximum out of the current bunch of Villa players and I don’t see his hunger being retained by floating between 5th and 8th in England every season.

[quote=“KIB man”]Gareth Barry after an excellent start to the game was caught in possesion a good bit so Villa were forced to play too many long balls. I dont think we are good enough yet to dominate a team by keeping the ball and playing around them. We look far more potent in swift counter attacks. Tiredness seemed a factor in the second half. With that in mind maybe a 4-5-1 would have suited the side better. Newcastle killed the game off with about five minutes to go. Awful defending from Reo Coker saw Guitterez walz in behind. Cuellar didnt go to close him down and Martins had the simple task of tapping in. Game over.
[/quote]

Newcastle clearly aren’t as bad as some people had suspected but they’re not a good team and they’re playing under a caretaker manager who has had little time to influence how they play other than energising them. If I was a Villa fan then I’d be very concerned about not being able to pass the ball around them. Martin O’Neill teams may not always be the best passers of the ball (though when Petrov, Lambert and Lennon were in midfield for Celtic around the time of the Seville game we were superb) but you’d expect them to have enough stamina and energy to live with Newcastle. You need an awful lot of grunt to make up for shortcomings in class though.

Complete rubbish. It would have been easy for the referee to send off Barton last night. Nobody has any sympathy for him. But he made the right decision. There were some heavy tackles from both sides last night but nothing that warranted a red card

I was surprised no one saw the line last night for a second yellow, there was that many tackles flying in. Happy to see Barton back, hope he makes a go of it this time, but I wont hold my breath.

Good attempt at a WUM Bandage. MON wants to break the top 4 in england. A huge challenge considering where Villa were when he took over. He has got the funds now to seriously strengthen in Jan. Fair play to him for having the balls to take it on. We are still a bit off. I actually feel if Villa are to be a consistent top 4 side then the likes of Gareth Barry wont be a regular but we are getting there imo.

On the other hand i suppose he could have stayed in a two team frankly useless league with the odd heroic failure in Europe. seriously would bohemians survive in the SPL?

Huge gulf in quality? granted Larsson was class he proved it at international level and for barcelona after. Neil Lennon FFS a ginger Lee Carsley. He did a great job for MON but quality??

John Carew imo is a better player than Sutton (Celtic days), Ashley Young is way better than any attacking midfield Celtic had under O’ Neill. Please dont even attempt to compare McGeady to him. We bought Petrov (Celtic worldbeater) he is no better than average. Maloney the best player for Celtic last week against Hearts was barely even making our bench. A pretty subjective list of names you rattled off. What about class such as Colin Healy, Ramon Vega, Rab Douglas, Didier Agathe, Liam Miller etc all with SPL medals jangling in their pockets.

doesn’t matter how much money is thrown at O’Neill, 9 times out of 10 he’ll buy the same player…good honest pro who can do a job…he has such a typical english footballing mentality…so afraid to lose a game instead of going out to win it…its rife in the premiership - sit back and defend and hope to catch a team on the break…if not we’ll take the draw…apart from the spurs arsenal match last week the only away team that wanted to actually play a bit of football was West brom at Newcastle last tuesday…City v Bolton was a shocking game on sunday…city looked like they had 6 midfielders and no striker as Evans dropped deep …everytime they broke it was like a cavalry charge…

[quote=“KIB man”]Good attempt at a WUM Bandage. MON wants to break the top 4 in england. A huge challenge considering where Villa were when he took over. He has got the funds now to seriously strengthen in Jan. Fair play to him for having the balls to take it on. We are still a bit off. I actually feel if Villa are to be a consistent top 4 side then the likes of Gareth Barry wont be a regular but we are getting there imo.

On the other hand i suppose he could have stayed in a two team frankly useless league with the odd heroic failure in Europe. seriously would bohemians survive in the SPL?

Huge gulf in quality? granted Larsson was class he proved it at international level and for barcelona after. Neil Lennon FFS a ginger Lee Carsley. He did a great job for MON but quality??

John Carew imo is a better player than Sutton (Celtic days), Ashley Young is way better than any attacking midfield Celtic had under O’ Neill. Please dont even attempt to compare McGeady to him. We bought Petrov (Celtic worldbeater) he is no better than average. Maloney the best player for Celtic last week against Hearts was barely even making our bench. A pretty subjective list of names you rattled off. What about class such as Colin Healy, Ramon Vega, Rab Douglas, Didier Agathe, Liam Miller etc all with SPL medals jangling in their pockets.[/quote]

It’s not that huge a challenge at all. Effectively it requires them to finish ahead of one decent team - the majority of the rest of the EPL is distinctly mediocre. And the way Aresnal are playing it should be manageable.

The two team league in Scotland is one sixth of the teams in the division - the EPL isn’t much more competitive numbers-wise. If he does make Villa into a lasting credible European force then he’ll have achieved much, otherwise he’s just flirting with success like David O’Leary managed before him.

Your praise of the Villa players is frankly ludicrous. I pity people who don’t know how good Sutton was at Celtic - unlessed you watched Scottish football properly you may have no idea but the man was an inspiration and a top drawer striker. Carew came up against Celtic in his Valencia days and was laughable. O’Neill always rated him and I think he has talent but he’s a flat track bully. Balde destroyed him.

How many SPL medals does Colin Healy have by the way?

It’s petty and timewasting to go through the squads over the years and pick out examples of shite players but Villa have obviously had their fair share too. The only difference is the dross at Villa don’t have any medals to show for it because they’re playing for a provincial club that’s struggling to compete with the big wealthy foreign owned clubs in their league - despite the fact that they’re wealthy and foreign-owned themselves.

MON has many limitations as a manager. He seems to have a total blind spot for players outside the EPL or SPL. The one bit of business he did in Europe swapping Carew for Baros was a masterstroke yet he hasnt attempted anything since. I know Villa would have difficulty attracting the likes of Sneider or Van der Vaart both of whom were available last summer but if we dont try we dont get.

Tactically MON can struggle. The idiotic change last night or the moving of Gareth Barry to left back is self defeating and NEVER works. I think he is half afraid of Reo Coker or Barry throwing a wobbly if they were taken off.
In hindsight scumspot if anything MON was too attacking last night. We probably should have played 5 in midfield and played Carew up top alone. It might have forced the Newcastle midfield further up the park leaving us gaps to exploit on the counter. Also as last night proved we have fuck all to bring on. Gabby Agbonlahor has played probably more games than any other player in the Prem this season but he could have been unleashed with 20 mins to go if we had adopted a 4-5-1. Against Wigan a couple of weeks ago, Barry was forced off injured. MON was extremely brave putting on Carew and it worked. We won 4-0. Thems the breaks

Not a wum (stupid term in my opinion) at all and I wouldn’t compare Ashley Young to McGeady by any means. Maybe comparisons with McGeady will be justifiable if Young ever impresses on the Champions League stage like Aiden has. Chris Sutton was sensational for Celtic over a prolonged spell. It might be worth checking out some of Larsson’s comments about how good he was and what a joy it was to play alongside him.

Dunno how worthwhile that would be, every striker thats ever played alongside Heskey has raved about him, would you rate Sutton above Heskey?

[quote=“therock67”]It’s not that huge a challenge at all. Effectively it requires them to finish ahead of one decent team - the majority of the rest of the EPL is distinctly mediocre. And the way Aresnal are playing it should be manageable.

Villa finished 16th the season O’ Leary finished. In a league where the top4 are stretching further away from the rest in terms of resources and prestige year on year it is a monumental challenge. We have climbed 10 places in 2 seasons. But it is getting into the next two places that will be more difficult. Arsenal still have Fabregas, Adebayor, Clichy, Sagna, Walcott, Van Persie etc all outstanding players. It would probably be a miracle to finish ahead. All we can do is close the gap

The two team league in Scotland is one sixth of the teams in the division - the EPL isn’t much more competitive numbers-wise. If he does make Villa into a lasting credible European force then he’ll have achieved much, otherwise he’s just flirting with success like David O’Leary managed before him.

The EPL is outside the top 6 at its lowest level in years. that is true. The SPL including the top 2 is still shockingly poor. I ask again I dont watch Eircom LG or SPL that much but would Bohs survive? Villa under DOL went from 6th, 11th and to 16th. What Celtic players would make the Villa side. Boruc, McGeady at a stretch. On present form I’m being generous with those two

Your praise of the Villa players is frankly ludicrous. I pity people who don’t know how good Sutton was at Celtic - unlessed you watched Scottish football properly you may have no idea but the man was an inspiration and a top drawer striker. Carew came up against Celtic in his Valencia days and was laughable. O’Neill always rated him and I think he has talent but he’s a flat track bully. Balde destroyed him.

Carew has been revitalised at Villa. At his best i think he is a better striker than Sutton was for Celtic. Sutton ended up playing midfield a good bit too. If he was that good of a striker he wouldnt have been.

How many SPL medals does Colin Healy have by the way?
I would have thought 2 but it doesnt mention it on wikipedia. Was he not in and out of MON first winning sides?

It’s petty and timewasting to go through the squads over the years and pick out examples of shite players but Villa have obviously had their fair share too.
true. marlon harewood still gets a pay packet

The only difference is the dross at Villa don’t have any medals to show for it because they’re playing for a provincial club that’s struggling to compete with the big wealthy foreign owned clubs in their league - despite the fact that they’re wealthy and foreign-owned themselves.
This is frankly a ridiculous point. We were miles behind the top 4 but are slowly but surely getting closer. Celtic play in a two team league. No matter how bad they are there is a good chance of them winning medals.[/quote]