Astronomy and Space related matters thread

As an aside, 1800 feet isn’t 68 miles, it’s barely a 1/4 mile. From that height the earth will look as flat as looking out your window.

sweep sweep

2 Likes

Kyrie was only wumming

1 Like

Mike could have a look at the Bedford level canal experiment

I don’t think there’s any saving Mike.

The whole flat earth thing is 95% people taking the piss and the rest are just very dim individuals.

“I don’t believe in science,” declared the 61-year-old. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula.”

:grin:

Some World lads. Is anyone going to try and stop the lunatic? It’ll probably blow up after launch and the flat earth crowd will be saying the US Government shot him down.

This sounds like a very extravagant method of committing suicide and broadcasting it to the world.

The rocket, which Hughes aims to reach an altitude of 1,800ft (550 metres) over California, will be launched from the back of a converted motorhome purchased from Craigslist. It is sponsored by a flat Earth research group, and Hughes plans a subsequent trip to try and observe the flatness of the Earth for himself.

That is roughly the height of the Ballyhouras. Would “Mad” Mike Hughes consider moving to Ardpatrick? He sounds like he’d fit right into the full back line of Blackrock Juniors.

1 Like

He wouldn’t be mad enough

2 Likes

He could have just driven to New York and taken a lift up to the top of the new trade centre tower. About the same height.
A fucking hot air balloon would have gotten him a whole lot higher without the whole strapping yourself to a rocket bit

Sure he lives in California. There are probably at least a dozen well-traversable roads that go higher than 550 metres, if not many many more.

I thought I read he was planning to be 68 miles over the ground?

Bits of him may well be.

1 Like

Did ye see The Farthest? Told of how Sagan had to fight to get the Pioneer team to turn it around and take that picture as it was on its way away from the planets. They saw no scientific value in it. I suppose they’re right but what a picture.

2 Likes

A great show. The way the introduced each planet using an animation of images taken as the craft approached it was brilliantly done.

Sure all I’m looking for is one picture of earth that isn’t enhanced or taking with a fish lense camera. Usually art work seems to be the pictures of our surrounding planets.

No. Must watch it - is it on Netflix

Not over here anyway but the director (I think) is Irish so ye might have it back home.

Wait til @The_Runt hears this!

1 Like

Some view of both Jupiter and Saturn currently. The former especially

1 Like