Astronomy and Space related matters thread

Tfk is full if surprises. Who’d have thunk it had an astronomy department.
I don’t know anything about astronomy but when the opportunity presents itself I enjoy pointing to the night shy and contemplatively asking someone if they recognise the plough. Usually they ask me to point it out, whereupon I’ll say that’s it over there lying against the hedge.
I’m a man of simple pleasures.

1 Like

Collapsing black holes could be wormholes mate, tfk is your oyster

Who knows. Apparently we’re flying through space at around 17,000mph. Anything is possible

The truth is out there.

@Fitzy @PhattPike
Did you know about this Belfast man and his small role in the voyager mission? I dip into ‘coming of age in the milky way’ now and again, it wrecks my head but it’s written so well something always makes sense or amazes me

1 Like

Or in here

It’s worse than that I’m afraid if you are in any way agarophobic.
The earth rotates at 1,000mph
The earth moves around the sun at 67,000mph
The solar system moves around the Milky Way at 448,000mph
The Milky Way is also moving towards Andromeda at some ridiculous speed and will collide with it in about 4 billion years.
We are fucked I tell you.

3 Likes

That explains why the cattle are a wee bit jumpy

3 Likes

Tís mad shit alright, we are a dot moving 1000s of miles/hr. If there’s nothing else out there I’m a monkeys uncle, so to speak

1 Like

Don’t worry about it I suppose we’re all monkeys’ nephews. A customer of mine collects photons for a living. Or maybe it’s quarks…
Beat that for an occupation

The thought that we are the most intelligent form of life in the entire Universe is as depressing as it gets

2 Likes

Don’t sell yourself short

I didn’t mean “we” as in TFK mate, that would be really depressing

3 Likes

The Limerick lads are having an awful week of it.

2 Likes

The natural boom bust cycle experienced by Limerick GAA Fans.

We’ll be walking all over everyone in two weeks.

Has anyone ever tried to use this as a legal argument for getting out of a speeding ticket?

@artfoley

2 Likes

Sounds like a line from “Back To The Future”.*

• It may very well be. I don’t know.

Jupiter lighting up the sky again tonight. Sitting out with doob it’s peaceful out.

4 Likes

Mars on view tonight can see the sphere shape and all with naked eye

2 Likes

In furs as Lou Reed once said…

3 Likes