Athletics Thread

He’s in Wexford Town there this week, getting trained by Kevin Cogley. Said to me he’s trying to qualify for Paris. Nice fella, from Colorado. Followed him on Instagram, seems like the real deal.

1 Like

Wow. That’s mad he’s been coached there. Good sign for our coaching structures.

He was third fastest in world earlier year over 60m. He’s a “late developer “

1 Like

Kevin Cogley is a great man for bringing sprinters here. Between himself and Shane McCormack they’d be decent coaches. Funnily enough, Kevin is only under 20’s coach, unless he’s on the senior ticket for Paris I wouldn’t be surprised.

1 Like

Kevin has just as many detractors as fans I think.

Shane McCormack trains some of the 400m team I’m nearly sure

Kevin can be odd as be fucked. Yeah, Shane was based below in RSC. I’ve seen him training likes of Phil Healy on Curracloe. Boys can’t train anyone in town cause of no track. Sure Kevin would be training Hilton up in our pitch believe it or not

Not the first time that’s been written on here

Looks like mixed relay have absolutely smashed national record in winning heat in qualifying for Olympics :clap:

2 Likes

Tom Barr and Rhasidat mean bizness

https://twitter.com/irishathletics/status/1786903846242906243?t=qDYJ3BNXCe-T_YD4lIT1eA&s=19

Brilliant content here. Tom and Cillian filling time to let the ladies prep but they know the Paris slot is secure. What’s better is they know there’s a team shot not worth talking about!

https://twitter.com/irishathletics/status/1786910541794976164?t=FDcSAE5e-3yLLCS_1oRN6Q&s=19

Tom Barr is, and has been for some time, a fucking National treasure

1 Like

https://twitter.com/ianoriordan/status/1786902718616932478?s=46&t=PYj9bwbGq9x8mR3JFzN-5Q

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Do the team members receiving the baton not get in race order? I thought they did once upon a time. Did we start from the outside lane?

1 Like

Pretty sure Barr should have been in Lane 1, not sure why he was out there

You’d have to think there’s a second lost there and they still hit a NR.

They’re meant to be lined up based on the position order from 200m out so Barr should have been 2nd as opposed to 8th. That’s according to Cathal Dennehy. There was an incident in the recent world indoors where the officials lined them up incorrectly & the Belgian chap ignored them & moved across to where he should have been & the official went walking after him, had hands on his shoulder & nearly got milled out of it by the athletes sprinting in to hand over.

1 Like

I saw that live, was mental. They were basically wrestling each other

A semi-interesting (maybe not?) fact is that Rory Cassidy who does the interviews with the athletes for Athletics Ireland’s socials is one of the Cassidy quintuplets. Think they’re the only set of quins in Ireland & would have been on The Late Late & other shows back around the millennium.

5 Likes

Would be the greatest Irish olympic achievement ever if they could medal at the olympics

1 Like

Not unless other countries put out their best 4 IMO

Apparently it’s unlikely that Adeleke will run the relays in Paris when it comes down to it, as it could/would hinder her individual medal prospects.