Athletics Thread

Think it was Sonia said that any athlete getting Irish funding should have an obligation to be there. I understand why she’s not but agree she should be there

We won’t see her on RTE but Liz Ndudi in the Long Jump still has an outside shot of getting to Paris. Only 19 and over some University in Illinois. Won the European U20 title last year. Broke the Irish record a few weeks back.

1 Like

mother is from a north Cork village mind you

I actually know a lass who trains with her. UK underage champion. Says she’s a lovely person.

1 Like

Ah here. Magean should do absolutely whatever she thinks best for the Olympics. This year of all years.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Sonya O Sullivan is the epitome of a lady.

1 Like

She’s had a right cut off Mageean

:grimacing::slightly_frowning_face:
I don’t like that. I think it’s completely wrong for a doyenne of Irish athletics to potentially unsettle one of our current greatest a few days before the Olympics.
Normally you wouldn’t care, but simply it being Sonya gives it weight.

Ah probably overstated a bit but she did have a cut

https://twitter.com/rtesport/status/1807382199571714353?s=46&t=YOfhVM10W0bcyIiYSLI3Wg

https://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2024/0628/1457214-mageean-absence-disappointing-for-osullivan/

Phoebe Gill is a remarkable talent

2 Likes

Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone took another 0.03s off her own world record in the US trials. Femke Bol gonna need something special to get close to her

Yanks are tooled up

You could be right but she’s been running incredible times since she was about 12. Would win the 400m flat if she wanted to. Will be a great final between herself and Bol

2 Likes

This lad was a great character locally for years. Someone told me that he recently left priesthood but not sure if that’s actually true. Be the last man on the dancefloor at a few weddings I went to

I didn’t see this race but this looks ridiculous by Sarah Healy

Edit - and the world record too obviously :roll_eyes::joy:

1 Like

I’ve not much faith that this race was clean.

1 Like

23 Irish Athletes in the Olympics including relay squads and reserves. Cillin Greene skipping the Euros to prioritise the Olympics has blown up in his face with Tom Barr, Chris O’Donnell and Jack Raftery being selected ahead of him on the mixed team.

1 Like

Has he qualified to run solo?

Nope