Austin Gleeson Appreciation thread

Bubbles ??? Donaghy got one in 2014 with similar game time and similar effect.

Ozzie and Richie Hogan were nailed on, lads won All Stars for doing alot less than Bubbles did this year.

A late entry to xfactor a wild card I think they call it singing ‘The Hurlers of Mt Sion’ with @Fagan_ODowd singing back up vocals - Xmas no1 probably and all

Good hurlers come from Limerick
From Waterford and Cork
From Dublin Clare Tipperary
And even from New York
They all can swing the ash boys
Come with us one and all
But the Best of all
Both big and small
Are the hurlers of Mount Sion

3 Likes

signing in.

1 Like

The bonfires will be blazing on barrack street and the hill of ballybricken tonight boy

2 Likes

And Kilcohen and the folly for one of their own

I hope I am down in time for the homecoming.

Open top bus and a Mayoral reception followed by a freedom of the city ceremony before he dashes to the xfactor tomorrow night

1 Like

Ah lovely. I think I’ll line the bridge from early in the morning.

“bubbles” doesn’t deserve an all star the tramp for the cowardly, vile belt he gave Richie English in Thurles with his hurley off the ball in the first round of championship for which he was correctly sent to the sidelines to think about what he done.

1 Like

What a class act. The lovely Lauren decked out in the blue of our beloved Mount Sion.

2 Likes

Austin Senior also makes a colourful nod to the Monastery

2 Likes

“What’s that you say? Brimmer Bradley is seething?”

7 Likes

@Fagan_ODowd and @anon70480284 - could you keep the forum updated on the homecoming plans for Austin (and Jamie Barron as well). We’re down in Waterford in the holiday home for the weekend. Should be worth travelling in to.

1 Like

I’m sure there’ll be a civic reception for the newly crowned best Hurler in the World. I’m going down myself. Got a text there from Ozzie. They couldn’t get all the trophies into the boot, so I’m going to bring the yhoty down for him

It just won’t fit.

1 Like

The Tipperary dominated GAA media having failed in their campaign to deny Austin his well merited hurler of the year accolade are just beside themselves with rage. Jackie Cahill just can’t accept the decision of Austin’s fellow inter-county peers and has resorted to quoting soundbites from gaelic footballers from Ulster.

First things first - it’s not Austin Gleeson’s fault that he was crowned GAA/GPA Opel Hurler of the Year last night. In the eyes of his playing counterparts, the Waterford colossus deserved it - and after all, they’re the guys he hurls against.

However, perhaps the most thought-provoking point made on Twitter last night came from not a hurler, but a footballer.

Former Derry star Paddy Bradley suggested that the presence of two Tipperary men - PĂĄdraic Maher and pre-vote favourite Seamus Callanan - in the three-man shortlist may have split the Premier County vote.

Figures may or may not be released from the GPA but it would be interesting to know what the combined Maher-Callanan vote was, in comparison to Gleeson’s.

Bradley wrote: “Shock that. Callanan big favourite. Not that Gleeson hasn’t been brilliant because he was. But did the Tipp men split the vote?”

Gleeson (21) was brilliant all year, and in a variety of positions, but he was taken off in the Munster final against a Tipp team containing Maher and Callanan that won by 21 points.

Maher was consistently excellent all season while Callanan’s only below-par performance by his own high standards was the All-Ireland semi-final against Galway.

Even then, he still managed to scoop away a superb hand-pass that allowed John McGrath to pounce for a crucial goal.

Debate will rage long and hard about the individual awards but kudos to Gleeson for scooping both the Young Hurler and Hurler of the Year accolades - emulating the feat of Clare’s Tony Kelly in 2013.
When Ballyea star Kelly won Hurler of the Year, he had a team-mate up against him, Podge Collins, with Cork goalkeeper Anthony Nash also nominated.

Any split vote didn’t affect Clare then, when players also chose their winner.
Former Tipperary midfielder Shane McGrath led the chorus of disappointment from Tipperary, tweeting: “Austin Gleeson is a serious talent. No doubt about that. But what more did one of the Tipp boys have to do to get it?”

What about the theory that rival counties simply don’t like Tipp? After all, manager Michael Ryan suggested last February: “People love to beat us, we’re almost public enemy number one.”

Expanding on that theme, another former Tipperary player, 2010 All-Ireland medallist Darragh Egan, suggested that biased players from neighbouring counties may have played their part, snubbing Maher and Callanan in favour of Gleeson.

Egan told Tipp FM’s Straight Talk: "In our geographical situation here, and our rivalry with other counties, I can’t see where we’re going to get a lot of votes from.
"Kilkenny, Galway, Cork, Offaly, Clare, any of them counties, I can’t see too many of the lads voting for Tipp lads, especially if Tipp have beaten them in the championship this year.

"Also, within our own Tipp players, their votes are going to be split between Paudie and Seamie. I’m really, really disappointed for the two lads. Both had an equal chance of getting it in my opinion.

"Nine points from play in an All-Ireland final (Callanan) - one of the greatest exhibitions ever seen at Croke Park, and Paudie’s consistency all year, absolutely outrageous.
“That gives the boys a bit of hunger for next year - that small percentage or two, that could get Seamie angry setting off for the 2017 campaign, the same with Paudie.”

Just three times in Hurler of the Year history has the gong gone to a county that hasn’t won the All-Ireland final. The recipients were Waterford men on each occasion, Gleeson following in the footsteps of previous DĂ©ise winners Tony Browne and Dan Shanahan.

But Tipp can console themselves with a haul of seven All-Stars, equalling their all-time annual best.

3 Likes

:smile:
As if winning the award wasn’t good enough the fact that these cunts are seething and pissing in their cornflakes over it just puts the tin hat on it.

4 Likes