Barclays Thread

We already have a thread for the Barclays Premier League but that concentrates on the more high profile sporting matters concerning the league. With the tremendous climax in that competition last weekend, I think it’s time to reward the terrific backing provided by Barclays with their very own thread.

As a company they have shown outstanding commitment to English soccer, and to sport in general. Their Football League sponsorship in the late 80s and early 90s was a glorious time for professional soccer on the Mainland and I was delighted when they returned to the Premier League as title sponsors in 2001. I thought their use of Barclaycard as the branding for the league in the earlier years was a masterstroke, identifying Barclays as not just a company founded on traditional values in the 17th Century who wished to reward the pursuit of Corinithian ideals, but equally as a progressive, tech-friendly organisation who recognised the values of electronic banking.

Then consider their sponsorship of non-sporting events and persons: the Scottish Open, the Barclays tournament and Phil Mickelson in golf, and of course the renowned Churchill Cup in rugby.

A wonderful organisation and I hope every employee, customer and, most importantly, executive, enjoyed last weekend’s fare as much as we did.

How’s the soup Rocko?

Your Barclaywank disgusts all Fingalians.

I think it was the forum’s croppy who said, ‘I wonder if Barclays realise they’re not just sponsoring a football league, they’re bringing people together.’ A lovely sentiment.

1 Like

Nicky god English works for barclays

Say what you will Bandage. As a yellowbelly and practiced bandwagon jumper, it is expected of you and does you no discredit.

Rocko, however, grew up in full view of Barclays Cromwellian exploits. The mere fact that he celebrates the rape of Fingal’s finest, it’s first born, it’s jewel, is abhorrent.

What a night for Barclay’s.

Bob Diamond is worth every penny.

My days in BarCap were some of the best of my life.

I’d like to thank Barclays for the chance to retire at 34 and dick around doing a few useless college courses and of course the wonderful football you served up to us this season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgFyi74DVjc&ob=av3n

I have nothing but the highest of regard for Barclays, they are thoroughly nice folk.

Thank you Barclays.

How come all the posts are shown an hour behind when they were posted bossman?

No they aren’t. You need to change your profile settings so that the time is correct

schoolboy error in fairness, although these afr muldoons would not be used to much in terms of up to date message boards

How do you mean friend? Just checked there and I am down as GMT timezone.

Chewy tries to help out a newbie-you have to take another opportunity to have a dig. You don’t come across as a very pleasant person my man.

Ireland isn’t currently on GMT :rolleyes: .

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/current-time/

Oops-how silly of me. :lol: Thanks mate.

Timely thread bump as the nominees for the Barclaycard Mercury Music Prize were announced last week, and it’s fair to say the standard is the highest ever. British popular music has improved out of all recognition since Barclaycard came on board as sponsors in 2009. Truth be told though the music scene had been crying out for their involvement for years. As The Beatles once sang, money - that’s what I want, and what British music wanted. Barclays have well and truly delivered.

Barclays positive about Ireland as ‘stunning’ export figures reach €9.1bn in August

By Peter Flanagan
Friday October 12 2012

IRELAND’S willingness to implement all the terms of its bailout and the additional reforms taken to restore our competitiveness has boosted the country’s standing on the global stage, according to Barclays Bank.
The report came as new figures showed that on a seasonally adjusted basis, exports reached €9.1bn in August, up 16pc on July.
According to the new statistics, the figures showed the trade surplus ballooned to €4.9bn in August, as exports surged 17pc compared to the same time last year.
Imports advanced at a more pedestrian 5pc on the month and were also 5pc above year-earlier levels. In volume terms exports and imports rose 17pc and 1pc respectively in August relative to the previous month.
NCB stockbrokers described the figures as “stunning”.
In a note to clients this morning, Barclays said that while good progress has been made so far, the road to recovery is long and “unlikely to be easy”.
It also said while the banks may now be well capitalised, they are unprofitable and continue to rein in credit.
Commenting on the export figures, Alan McQuaid, chief economist at Merrion Stockbrokers said: “The bottom line is that the export sector has been the main driver of Irish economic activity in recent times and will remain the key growth engine for some period to come, but there are clear downside risks in the short-term, especially in relation to external demand.”
He added: “Another concern relates to the sustainabilty of the positive contribution from the chemicals sector. Output from this area tends to be quite erratic at the best of times due to company-specific developments in patents and product cycles.”

• Peter Flanagan

A great vote of confidence from our friends in Barclays :clap: