Beat the Bookies - New Year's Day

Leeds v Oldham: Leeds at 8/15

Leeds have 10 wins and a draw from 11 home games. Their recent form isn’t brilliant but it’s certainly better than Oldham’s and all their dodgy results have come on the road. The two teams met already this season at Oldham when Leeds got a 0-1 victory. Oldham were beaten at home the other day and won’t get anything from Elland Road.

Aberdeen v Inverness: Aberdeen at 4/5 (Wednesday)

Aberdeen’s league form isn’t as good as it should be but they got an important win at St Mirren at the weekend. The UEFA Cup campaign looked like more of a distraction in recent weeks but they’ll be able to concentrate on the SPL for the moment and they have a far better squad than ICT. Inverness have had a patchy season - they’ve gone from looking brutal, to looking unbeatable, then back to brutal again and now they’re just hit and miss. They beat Kilmarnock at the weekend but Aberdeen away is an altogether more challenging prospect. And 4/5 is decent value from Paddy.

Dundee United v Hearts: Dundee United at 11/10 (Wednesday)

No wins in three for Dundee United and they’re struggling for form for the first time this season really. But they were far from destroyed by Celtic and they’re playing better football than those results suggest. Anyway when it comes to the formbook Hearts are falling like a stone at the moment and sit third from bottom, only a point above hapless St Mirren. Since drawing with Celtic at the very start of December they’ve lost 5 on the trot - including home defeats to Inverness, Motherwell and St Mirren. First game of the season this would have been priced very differently, but given the respective efforts of both teams recently, anything above evens for Dundee United at home is good value.

Hamilton v Queen of the South: Hamilton at 8/15 (Wednesday)

Seven wins from nine home games for Hamilton so far this season and there’s no signs of their promotion push slowing up. The presence of Dundee right behind them is keeping them honest and they’ll need to keep winning against the likes of Queen of the South to win the division. QoS have had two good wins in the past week beating Dundee and Livingston at home (and they have beaten Hamilton this season). However Hamilton have been superb at grinding out wins this season and with Offiong in great form up front they should get 3 more points on Wednesday.

10 Euro on these 4 home wins returns 89 Euro for the January sales.

Hey Juniallio.

I see you’re online. Why do you keep tipping Nottingham Forest, like you did again at the weekend?

You’ll pay for that.

Some lower English league guess work today at a combined 10/1:

Blackpool v Burnley
Blackpool @ 6 - 5

Crystal Palace v Norwich
Crystal Palace @ 8 - 11

Stoke v Hull
Stoke @ 4 - 5

Leeds v Oldham
Leeds @ 4 - 7

Fooking Leeds 3-0 down at half time at home to Oldham. Fecking last time I bet on the lower English divisions on the basis of stats.

Beat the bookies. Never.

Beat the Bookies Review

I’m blaming the absence of the Bundesliga for my failure this week to land that 8/1. In an effort to pad out the betting a little I ventured far from my area of expertise to the seemingly dead cert Leeds at home to Oldham. 0-3 at half time put paid to any thoughts of a payout.

Still after a couple of less than predictable weeks in the SPL (no team from the top 6 won the week before last) the Scottish tipping was back in form.

Dundee United, Aberdeen and Hamilton all won as predicted today, rewarding the few thousand of ye who backed the matches individually.

Didn’t back anything today…yet.

There’s EPL and Copa Del Rey tonight.

The latter’s probably best avoided given it’s impossible to know how serious teams are taking the cup over there.

I’m off to investigate the odds.

A token tenner bet on tonight’s EPL:

Blackburn and Bolton to win at home to Sunderland and Derby respectively and Newcastle and Manchester City to draw.

Works out at 7/1.

Another winner there from Bandage.

Shan, you’re sailing close to the wind. I will come and find you and make you suffer.

I cant wait for the unpredictability of the cup at the weekend. I await with interest.