Benitez attacks Ferguson.....verbally

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has launched a furious attack on Manchester United counterpart Sir Alex Ferguson.

Benitez claims that Ferguson is “the only manager who will not be punished” for verbally attacking referees.

“We had a Respect campaign meeting and I said forget it, because Mr Ferguson is killing the referees,” said Benitez.

Benitez was responding to Ferguson’s midweek comment that nerves might ruin Liverpool’s title bid, before issuing his tirade against the United boss.

Ferguson, who was given a two-game touchline ban and fined 10,000 in November for remonstrating with referee Mike Dean, had his pre-match news conference before Benitez’s and was unable to immediately reply.

Benitez’s extraordinary outburst came after a journalist asked Benitez for his response to Ferguson’s comment that his Premier League leaders Liverpool might get nervous in the run-in.

All managers need to know is that only Mr Ferguson can talk about the fixtures, can talk about referees and nothing happens

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez
“I was surprised by what has been said, but maybe they (Manchester United) are nervous because we are at the top of the table,” added Benitez.

The Spaniard then pulled out a sheet of paper and read out a list of accusations about Ferguson’s conduct regarding referees, the respect campaign and fixture lists.

“I want to talk about facts,” he said. "I want to be clear, I do not want to play mind games too early, although they seem to want to start.

"During the Respect campaign - and this is a fact - Mr Ferguson was charged by the FA for improper conduct after comments made about Martin Atkinson and Keith Hackett.

"He was not punished. He is the only manager in the league that cannot be punished for these things.

"How can you talk about the Respect campaign and yet criticise the referee every single week?

"We know what happens every time we go to Old Trafford and the United staff. They are always going man to man with the referees, especially at half-time when they walk close to the referees and they are talking and talking.

"All managers need to know is that only Mr Ferguson can talk about the fixtures, can talk about referees and nothing happens.

"We need to know that I am taking about facts, not my impression. There are things that everyone can see every single week.

“To complain and to always have an advantage is not fair.”

Benitez also heavily criticised Ferguson’s complaints over supposed favouritism over fixtures.

“Two years ago we were playing a lot of early kick-offs away on Saturdays when United were playing on Sundays. And we didn’t say anything,” said the Reds boss.

"Now he is complaining about everything, that everybody is against United. But the second half of the season will see them playing at home against all the teams at the top of the table, it is a fantastic advantage.

"At Christmas, United played on the 29th and the rest of the teams played on the 28th. We were away against Newcastle two days after playing Bolton. They were playing about 40 hours later, but they were not complaining then.

"If he wants to talk about fixtures, and have a level playing field, there are two options if we don’t want more problems with fixtures.

"One is the same as in Spain, the draw for the first part of the league is known, everyone knows which weekend. In the second half everyone plays the opposite, so you all know.

"Sky and Setanta have the right to choose their games and it will be the same for everyone. So Mr Ferguson will not be complaining about fixtures and a campaign against United.

“Or there is another option. That Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.”

Superb by Rafa.

Although I wouldn’t give the cunt the respect to show that he is getting under my skin.

Ferguson is a cunt. Always has been and always will be.

Seems like a sign that Rafa is felling the pressure. Like monsieur Keegan a few moons ago

Super stuff, at least he is showing a bit of balls.

I must admit that I enjoy it when rival managers tee off on each other. In fact, one of the first things I do when I start a game of Football Manager as Celtic boss is click into the Rangers coaching staff and call their manager a cunt. As for Rafa, the last paragraph about Ferguson picking the fixtures himself and sending them around to the other managers is good. I’d say the journalists were creaming themselves when he produced the sheet of paper and went off on one - it makes for great copy for them.

Another Sky myth for me.

Newcastle had lost that title long before Keegan’s outburst.

The only way to shut Ferguson up is by Liverpool winning the league.

Cunt.

good to see someone stand up to ferguson…he’s a pure bully …couldn’t compare benitez to keegan…that is a lot more controlled and planned than king kev’s nervous uncontrolled rant…

Benitez falls for Fergies mind games. Ferguson couldnt have played this one any better.
The fact Benitez says Ferguson hasnt been punished by the Fa when Ferguson served a two match touchline last month also shows that Benitez is talking out of his arse.

I’d say Fergie is cackling, Mr. Burns style, “Eeeexcellent”, at Rafa’s outburst all the same.

I would love it if Liverpool won the League…Love it!

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Another Sky myth for me.

Newcastle had lost that title long before Keegan’s outburst.

The only way to shut Ferguson up is by Liverpool winning the league.

Cunt.[/quote]

I’d say the thing with Keegan is that people took it as a sign of how little he was in control of himself and therefore his team during the run in.
Sure the whole outburst was that United still haven’t got the title won mathematically, ie basically he was even admitting they had at that stage.

I think Benitez is dead right to have a go at Ferguson the bullying bollox, and I’m a United fan.

What is all this mind games bullshit?

Can opposing managers not have a go at one another anymore without someone saying it is mind games?

PRESS CONFERENCE IN FULL

Rafa, this is the first time we have had to speak to you since the Cup draw - what are your thoughts on a Merseyside derby in the fourth round?

It will be a good game, I think that everybody will be excited and it will be good for everyone to see another derby. OK, it will be tough, it will be difficult, but everybody will be excited.

Could you have done without two derbies in a week?

We don’t like to play two important games in a few days, but we will try to do our best.

Is there any truth in the talk about Emile Heskey?

We are not talking about any player.

Stoke did well at Anfield earlier in the season, didn’t they?

It was a difficult game. We scored an early goal, but it was disallowed. We had plenty of possession after that and controlled the game. We had a lot of opportunities but we couldn’t score. But they deserve credit because they worked very hard and it was positive for them. OK, we were saying that we had a job to do at home and it was a bad moment, but I think that they are a stong team, very physical, and I am sure that playing at home they will be more offensive.

Do you sense that maybe as a team they are not as together as maybe earlier in the season?

No I think they were doing well. They have a very strong team spirit and they have been working very hard.

It would suit you though, wouldn’t it, if they play more offensively?

Yes I think it will be good for us because we could find more spaces.

People talk about pressure and there seems to be pressure every week - is there pressure at the moment?

I like to be at the top of the table under pressure - it’s better than being at the bottom.

What do make of Alex Ferguson’s comments recently?

I was surprised, but I have to talk about facts because I think it is important.

I think that they are nervous because we are at the top of the table. But I want to be clear that I do not want to play mind games too early. I think that they want to start that so I have taken some facts so it will be easier to talk about this.

November 1 they played against Hull City and Mr Ferguson, their manager, was given a two-match touchline ban and fined 10,000 after confronting Mike Dean, the referee, for improper conduct.

We have started a Respect Campaign. And we started with the sending off of Javier Mascherano at Old Trafford from the referee, Mr Bennett. But that was also the referee when Manchester United played Wigan, and he couldn’t see the handball from Rio Ferdinand. He didn’t give a penalty and they won the title.

I think that will also be the same referee that they have in the game in hand against Wigan.

During this Respect Campaign, he was charged by the FA following comments made towards Martin Atkinson, but he was not punished. He is the only manager in the league who cannot be punished.

Two years ago we were playing a lot of early kick-offs on a Saturday morning away, while United were playing on a Sunday and no one was saying anything. Now he is complaining that everybody is against United.

They will play against all the teams in the top of the table in the second half of the season - I think that is a fantastic advantage. But I don’t know why, at Christmas time, United played on the 29th December instead of the 28th, while we played against Newcastle away. He was not complaining this time. He was not thinking about this.

About his behaviour with referees, the Southampton manager knows how Mr Ferguson works. He was very clear the other day. It is a fact. I am not playing mind games. This is about facts.

If Mr Ferguson wants to talk about the fixtures, and we want to be on a level playing field here, there are two options: one is where is the same as in Spain. The first part of the league, all the teams know at this time they will play against this team on this weekend, or that weekend, and the second half of the league will be the opposite - you will play away. After that, Sky or Setanta who has the rights will choose the game and everybody will know when they are playing. That way it would be the same for everyone so Mr Ferguson will not be complaining about the fixtures.

Or maybe the other option would be Mr Ferguson organising the fixtures and everything in his office and sending them to us - then everybody will know and nobody can complain.

Talking about football, because I want to finish with this and the mind games. We know what happens when we go to Old Trafford. Mr Scolari maybe needs to know to use zonal marking against the staff of United because they are always using man to man with the referees when they go to the bench and especially at half-time when they are walking close to the referees and talking and talking and talking.

All the managers need to know, only Mr Ferguson can talk about the fixtures and the referees - nothing will happen. I think we need to know about this. We are talking about facts, we are not talking about my impression. Everybody can see this every single week.

The fact that he has said these things, is this a sign of the pressure getting to United?

I think that they did not think that we would be at the top of the table in January. But we are at the top of the table, and clearly they are nervous.

Do referees need to take a firmer stance with United?

I will not say that. I want to be very clear - I have been here for five years and I just know how long these things have been going on?

Will you be watching the game on Sunday?

I think so.

What are your thoughts on that game?

It doesn’t matter. I am just trying to think about Stoke and trying to win tomorrow.

Would any particular result suit you?

As long as we win against Stoke, it doesn’t matter.

Rafa Knocks Fergie Right Off His F**king Perch

Simon Burnton
Friday January 9, 2009

GAME, SET AND MATCH RAFA BENITEZ
What Rafa Benitez should have been saying this afternoon:
“I do love Friday. Start of the weekend. Stay at home, I’d have thought. Sofa. Feet up. Maybe a glass of Rioja, see what Montse might have cooked me. Probably a game of Scrabble together in the living room before bed, though it’s my turn to warm the milk. Look forward to tomorrow. Late kick-off, so a lie-in as well. Bonus.”
With his team top of the league and a Saturday victory at Stoke away from letting him settle down to watch the Manchester United v Chelsea game nursing a broad grin, a cold pint and a six-point advantage, Benitez should have been cooler than hotly-tipped electro-pop babe Little Boots swimming in a liquid nitrogen-filled Philippe Starck bath.
But for some reason there was a furrow to his brow as he strode into his weekly press conference. Had he, perchance, heard about Five’s decision to cancel the popular talk show Trisha Goddard? Was he worried about the measles outbreak, violence in the Middle East or delays on the trains? What could it possibly be?
Then someone mentioned Sir Alex Ferguson and he was off, faster than a rocket-propelled whippet at the wheel of Cristiano Ronaldo’s spare Ferrari. A 10-minute diatribe followed, during which he said all of these things, and some others:
“He is the only manager in the league who cannot be punished”
“He is complaining about everything, that everybody is against United”
“We know what happens every time we go to Old Trafford and the United staff walk close to the referees and they are talking and talking.”
“We need to know that I am talking about facts, not my impression. There are things that everyone can see.”
“I was surprised United wanted to start the mind games too early. Maybe it is because we are top of the table.”
“I’ll tell you something, he went down in my estimation when he said that. We have not resorted to that, but you can tell him now, we’re still fighting for this title and I’ll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we beat them, love it.”
Oh no, actually that last one was someone else.
But the absolute zinger from Benitez? His withering response to Sir Alex Ferguson’s tedious whinges about a perceived anti-Manchester United conspiracy on the part of the Premier League fixture-generator: “There is another option,” he deadpanned. “That Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.”
Sarcasm may, as George Bernard Shaw/Oscar Wilde/Dorothy Parker/The Fiver/some other renowned boulevardier and wit said, be the lowest form of wit, but it’s also one of the highest forms of humour.

[quote=“Captainshan”]Benitez falls for Fergies mind games. Ferguson couldnt have played this one any better.
The fact Benitez says Ferguson hasnt been punished by the Fa when Ferguson served a two match touchline last month also shows that Benitez is talking out of his arse.[/quote]

pity wenger didn’t come up with his “dossier” back in the day

anyhoo, to matters in hand. this was no snap, this was a calculated, well written speech and absolutely spot on regarding fergie

I’d say this is a bigger kick in the bollocks for fergie than the one he got in euston station

The Football Association has renewed its attempts to challenge Sir Alex Ferguson’s conduct with referees, lodging their third improper conduct charge in two seasons, eight months after the last one was dismissed on appeal. It is a sign of Ferguson’s enduring intensity yesterday being the 22nd anniversary of the day he first walked into Old Trafford that after watching his side batter Hull City all over Old Trafford on Saturday, that he should have launched into battle with the referee Mike Dean before the official had left the pitch.

Gary Neville had to place a restraining arm as Ferguson involved himself in a finger-jabbing session, enraged by Dean’s decision to award Hull a penalty and failure as he saw it to issue Hull’s Michael Turner with a second yellow card following his challenge on Michael Carrick. The penalty decision certainly looked an acceptable one, though Turner’s challenge on Michael Carrick would have earned some players a second yellow. Ferguson’s anger was shared by several of his players, none less than Wayne Rooney whose own extraordinary conduct in the last quarter of the match included refusing Hull skipper George Boateng’s offer to hand the ball to goalkeeper Van der Sar, demanding a drop ball instead. Rooney then challenged Boateng in a way which might easily have earned him his marching orders and he had already been booked at that stage.

Sky Sports’ interpretation of events was that Rooney was fortunate to remain on the pitch and this has seen them also incur Ferguson’s wrath. Though it is understood that Ferguson had not, as of Tuesday, seen the comments made by Paul Merson, Sky were denied the customary interviews before and during last night’s Champions League group match in Glasgow.

The broadcaster was said to be hopeful of a thaw before Ferguson discusses tomorrow’s Arsenal match today. The BBC, already subject to a permanent boycott by Ferguson, decided not to feature the Rooney challenge on Match of the Day. Ferguson was clearly agitated about the closing stages of the Hull game. “The player’s already been booked so the referee’s failed in his duty there,” he said aftewards of Turner. “It should have been a red card as he was right through.” It remains to be seen how Ferguson responds to the charge he has until 19 November to do so but the FA has certainly had mixed results in its attempts to challenge his behaviour over the past year. At Fratton Park in March, Ferguson was furious when Cristiano Ronaldo was sent off but went further after the Portsmouth FA Cup tie in March, labelling Martin Atkinson “a disgrace”. An improper conduct charge was laid but not proven, owing to technical flaws in the FA case relating to transcripts of Ferguson’s comments which were not accurate. Carlos Queiroz, the then assistant manager, denied calling Atkinson “a robber”, claiming he was misquoted. He also apologised for comments he made about Birmingham defender Martin Taylor. But he did question the referee’s impartiality and also suggested poor officials should be replaced during games. “The referee is a disgrace,” said Queiroz. “What we cannot accept are referees who watch only one side.” The FA initially planned to appeal that verdict but it stood. But Ferguson, who also said in a pre-match press conference in March that “the haranguing of referees is ridiculous” and something his players had cut out did serve a two-match touchline ban and was fined 5,000 for a rant at Mark Clattenburg after a defeat at Bolton.

Just seen it there on Sky and he was pretty cool and calm through out… I hadn’t heard of the other cunts comments so this has come as a total shock, but a welcome one. My only fear is i believe he is setting himself up for a bit of a fall, i still think utd will win it and cunt features wil have a nice little gloat on his face…Here’s hoping i’m wrong.

The last part about the fixtures was qualitiy!

Just read about this. Bit crazy in my opinion. If it’s an attempt to put pressure on sunday’s ref not to be too much of a homer then fair enough but why go off on a mad one about fixtures or ferguson not being punished? Kind of dilutes the impact. As does apearring with a written list of complaints at a press conference.
Don’t get me wrong, Ferguson is the king of bizarre rants but always to take attention away from his team before a big game. The attention was firmly on Man U v Chelsea and now Liverpool are under the spotlight too.
As long as Liverpool beat Stoke(and none of their players engages in a spot of post match GBH) then they have a lovely weekend, enjoying further breathing space over Man U/Chelsea/Both. No problems, but IF Liverpool somehow contrive to fuck up then it’s huge pressure on Liverpool and Rafa’s lost it…
It’ll make it all the sweeter when Utd win the league…

[quote=“Juhniallio”]Just read about this. Bit crazy in my opinion. If it’s an attempt to put pressure on sunday’s ref not to be too much of a homer then fair enough but why go off on a mad one about fixtures or ferguson not being punished? Kind of dilutes the impact. As does apearring with a written list of complaints at a press conference.
Don’t get me wrong, Ferguson is the king of bizarre rants but always to take attention away from his team before a big game. The attention was firmly on Man U v Chelsea and now Liverpool are under the spotlight too.
As long as Liverpool beat Stoke(and none of their players engages in a spot of post match GBH) then they have a lovely weekend, enjoying further breathing space over Man U/Chelsea/Both. No problems, but IF Liverpool somehow contrive to fuck up then it’s huge pressure on Liverpool and Rafa’s lost it…
It’ll make it all the sweeter when Utd win the league…[/quote]

But it wasn’t a mad one. He even looked like he was checking notes. Keegans one was after a game, he was wound up, and its happened to many managers when just interviewed after a game. Rafa is right, and it was calculated, if it backfires or not none of us can possibly know till much later in the season. Unless of course the ref on Sunday gives Chelsea a dodgy penalty and sends Rooney off for another stupid tackle, then it may have worked. Because even with games in hand if United go 10 points behind Liverpool i think they are in big trouble, Liverpool may not exacxtly be Barca, but they don’t give away much, so i can’t see them loosing many games.

Good old Graham Poll, always thought he was a top class ref:D…

Former Premier League referee Graham Poll agrees that Sir Alex Ferguson receives lenient treatment from the Football Association.

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez launched an astonishing attack on his Manchester United counterpart on Friday.

Benitez claimed Ferguson does not get punished sufficiently for his sometimes outspoken criticism of match officials.

Poll enjoyed a good relationship with Ferguson during his time as a referee but believes the Scot does get preferential treatment from FA disciplinary chiefs.

“Rafa Benitez has articulated what referees have been thinking for years - that Sir Alex Ferguson can say what he wants about them and the FA will allow him to get away with it,” Poll told the Daily Mail.

"The authorities could point to Ferguson’s two-match ban imposed earlier this season as proof that he is not out of reach of their disciplinary department, but that was for marching onto the field after the 4-3 win over Hull and for comments made directly to the referee, Mike Dean, who in reporting the misconduct forced the FA’s hand