Best Hurler & Footballer 1984-2009

Michel Muircheartaigh and a panel of experts from The Star and TG4 have selected a shortlist of twenty five players who they consider to be the finest stars of the GAA in the last 25 years. The winners will be honoured during the 125 celebration game in Thurles on 1st November.

HURLING
Jimmy Barry-Murphy
Eddie Brennan
Tony Browne
Ciarn Carey
DJ Carey
Joe Cooney
Brian Corcoran
Joe Deane
JJ Delaney
Nicky English
Liam Fennelly
John Fenton
Damian Fitzhenry
Tony Keady
Eoin Kelly (Tipp)
Brian Lohan
Ken McGrath
Seanie McMahon
Sen g hAilpn
Ben OConnor
Willie OConnor
Declan Ryan
Henry Shefflin
Tommy Walsh
Brian Whelahan

FOOTBALL
Peter Canavan
Graham Canty
Sen Cavanagh
Colm Cooper
Paul Curran
Maurice Fitzgerald
Trevor Giles
Pdraig Joyce
Mickey Linden
Kieran McGeeney
Mirtn McHugh
Seamus Moynihan
Martin OConnell
Robbie OMalley
Colm ORourke
Darragh S
Pid S
Jack OShea
Mikey Sheehy
Pat Spillane
Anthony Tohill
Larry Tompkins
Kevin Walsh
Ciaran Whelan

Ciaran Carey.
John Galvin.

Lock this thread.

Ciaran Whelan ahead of Tomas O Se!!! This a wind up?

No Bernard Flynn!!

Joe Cooney for the hurlers anyway.

Maurice Fitzgerald for the footballers, probably followed closely by Canavan.

Joe Cooney
Padraig Joyce/Kevin Walsh.

Lock this thread.

DJ Carey and Peter Canavan for me

Shefflin and Canavan - easiest of decisions.

:eek:

Shefflin and Maurice Fitzgerald.

How does Graham Canty get onto that list?

By being one of the best footballers in the last 25 years?

Michel Muircheartaigh and a panel of experts from The Star and TG4 have selected a shortlist of twenty five players who they consider to be the finest stars of the GAA in the last 25 years.

I think this may explain any controversial inclusions or omissions. No harm to Michel, and his lilting voice is emotive in radio commentary and stuff, but the cunt doesn’t have a clue what’s going on most of the time. A GAA expert in The Star? Eh, no.

There’s a 125 celebration game in Thurles on 1 November? Time for the GAA to let this thing go too. 125 - so fooking what.

Not for me.

Greg Blaney is another ommission. Great footballer.

Brian Lohan, end of discussion…

paul curran was the most gifted footballer i ever played against… he was some man to solo a ball at speed…tompkins had some strike of a ball…Giles had vision…
but Maurice fitz stands out above them all for me…he was fookin magic…had everything except the speed which made his footballing ability all the more noticeable…

I don’t like the cunt as i think he’s sneaky but Shefflin is the best hurler i’ve ever seen…

Some unbelievable stuff here, as in players missed, Tomas O’ Se is the most shocking, what does the man actually have to do?
I’m going for a top 3 in both, in no particular order, its very hard to pick one out. Below are all super players though.

Hurling
Joe Cooney
Brian Corcoran
Henry Shefflin

FOOTBALL

Maurice Fitzgerald
Mikey Sheehy
Larry Tompkins

There’s a difference between a full back and a hurler.Full backs aren’t hurlers,they’re stoppers. While Lohan was an excellent full back there is no way on God’s earth he was the best hurler of the last 25 years.

Hup aaah AAHHH HUP AAAAHHHH hup. Thats me that is. Yahup ya ha ah ah ah ah ah AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.

Nicky, end of.