Best Irish Sporting Moment

No he wouldn’t. He was primarily a one day rider. Not a hope in hell of him beating the likes of Hinault or Fignon in the Tour. Sure Kelly tested positive for stuff himself.

Was he the first European winner of a major since Paul Lawrie in 1999?

yes and the first ever Irish major winner. In the decade from 2000-2009 he was the only European to win a major and he won 3 of them. that kind of opened the floodgates

1 Like

Sure hundreds of thousands lined the streets to celebrate the soccerball team not winning a game in Italia '90 :person_shrugging:

God knows we needed something at the time

It is interesting stuff. I’d say it probably boils down to her not wanting to come across as a sore loser (even though she had plenty cause). I don’t remember her making too big a deal of the 3 x Chinese drug cheats appearing from nowhere and beating her in the world championships either. She has as much class off the track as she had on it.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Our absolute greatest sportsperson.

1 Like

Fucking Carey scoring a point as Irelands Greatest sporting moment.

:joy::joy:

She completely dominated her discipline for years in a way no other Irish individual sportsperson (maybe bar Katie Taylor) ever has or might ever do again. Womens athletics at that time is far more advanced than womens boxing is now so Sonias achievements are still well ahead of Taylors.

6 Likes

You know she must have class when she can balance the impossible of being from Cork and being universally liked

1 Like

The Chinese at that Olympics was the biggest cheat/joke in sporting history, beyond anyone I’d wager for blatant cheating.

1 Like

in many ways, Ireland was a better country in 1990

Twice

Fred Daly?

Not Irish

He would. Lance was primarily a one day rider. EPO allowed the big men to climb. Look at indurain. Big Mig.
He wasn’t aware of EPO, it arrived in mainstream cycling a couple of years too late.

Only two Irish major winners so?

Kelly’s peers were Hinault, Fignon, Lemond, Roche, Delgado not Lance. He wouldn’t beat any of them in the Tour.

He would if he’d been on EPO.
And that wasn’t my point. My point as you well know is that Lance was primarily a one day rider before the epo and blood, and indurain would have won nowt without epo.