Big, Big Month For Celtic - Part II

[quote=“KIB man”]Rock, I dont even want to know what you typed into Google to find that. A touch disturbing though.

Whats the obsession with Aston Villa. We beat B’ham home and away last season. Handy six points. B’ham fans rioted on their own pitch last season after they went down and broke the goalposts. Interestingly Alex McLeish is their manager. Did I read somewhere before that he has as good a record as MON?
I know Rangers went further in Champs Lg than Celtic ever managed. McLeish also commented that he would never manage in Scotland again as he had achieved everything there. A yoyo club like B’ham City seemed preferrable apparently.[/quote]

“KIB Man at home at Christmas” into Google Images does the trick.

You may well have read that about McLeish. It wouldn’t be true of course, doesn’t mean you didn’t read it though. McLeish was sacked by the huns, he wasn’t good enough. He wasn’t good enough with Scotland either.

Oh and the huns have never won the European Cup. That’s not further than Celtic. Unless of course you’re wiping all that “European pedigree” from history. You can’t have it every way lad, it’s either relevant for Villa and Celtic or it’s not!

[quote=“larryduff”]He has a connection with Celtic because of his nationality and background that he certainly doesn’t have with Villa. Don’t think he would join Leicester City tomorrow if offered but I do think he would join Celtic. He said that Celtic were the one club above anyone else that he always wanted to manage since he was a kid. His dad once told him to walk to the club if he was ever lucky enough to be offered managers position.

Correct me if I am wrong but never heard him talk about Aston Villa with such fondness?[/quote]

Again, whats the obsession with Villa. This is a bit like asking someone from Limerick about crime.

Is this your comeback? What his dad said…:mad:

Celtic and Villa are both British clubs. Celtic was a good career move for MON. All he had to do was topple one club who were on the verge of financial meltdown. Always thought the job he did at Celtic was a touch over rated. Still they were good to watch under his reign. Some fine European games. The job he did at Leicester City was unreal. Look at the state of them since he left.

You would be deluded beyond belief if you thought MON or any remotely decent manager would want to manage in the SPL again. No money, no hope. Strachan went down with Coventry. He’s probably angling for a return to the EPL at the moment. MON almost went to Leeds dont forget despite his undying love for Celtic. Get Real FFS

I’d nearly expect Roy Keane to take over if WGS decided to leave or Tony Mowbray.

[quote=“KIB man”]Again, whats the obsession with Villa. This is a bit like asking someone from Limerick about crime.

Is this your comeback? What his dad said…:mad:

Celtic and Villa are both British clubs. Celtic was a good career move for MON. All he had to do was topple one club who were on the verge of financial meltdown. Always thought the job he did at Celtic was a touch over rated. Still they were good to watch under his reign. Some fine European games. The job he did at Leicester City was unreal. Look at the state of them since he left.

You would be deluded beyond belief if you thought MON or any remotely decent manager would want to manage in the SPL again. No money, no hope. Strachan went down with Coventry. He’s probably angling for a return to the EPL at the moment. MON almost went to Leeds dont forget despite his undying love for Celtic. Get Real FFS

I’d nearly expect Roy Keane to take over if WGS decided to leave or Tony Mowbray.[/quote]

So getting a club to mid table in the EPL and a couple of good cup runs is a better job than winning league title’s and getting to a European final. Somehow I think the pressure of managing one of the biggest clubs in the world is a little more than managing a club with one stand in a well over hyped league where many teams are around the same sh-t standard.

Don’t forget MON left a similar situation where he was at now to join Celtic so would see him doing it again absolutely. Unlike you I think he can see above and beyond the EPL and realises Celtic offer a unique attraction for him. Not to say he would get the job of course which would be doubful to say the least.

[quote=“therock67”]“KIB Man at home at Christmas” into Google Images does the trick.

You may well have read that about McLeish. It wouldn’t be true of course, doesn’t mean you didn’t read it though. McLeish was sacked by the huns, he wasn’t good enough. He wasn’t good enough with Scotland either.

Oh and the huns have never won the European Cup. That’s not further than Celtic. Unless of course you’re wiping all that “European pedigree” from history. You can’t have it every way lad, it’s either relevant for Villa and Celtic or it’s not![/quote]

Cool cos if it was ‘Little Jewish Boy Spinning Christmas’ you could be in a spot of legal trouble with the paedo hunters.

I didnt mention European pedigree I mentioned Champions League. Champs Lg started in the early 90s. In any case McLeish and Rangers got further in the Champions League than MON and Celtic ever did. Is that true or not?
In the same timeframe (Wikipedia) that both men were at their respective clubs 2001-2005. Both men won 2 SPL titles and 2 Scottish Cups. Wikipedia also comes up with a gem that McLeish is statistically the best Scottish manager of all time and masterminded a brilliant 1-0 win in Paris. Look at the state of them now.

I think Alex McLeish is a very good manager. Has made some clever signings for B’ham and I expect them to get promoted. Sunderland would be well advised to make a few enquiries his way

[quote=“KIB man”]Cool cos if it was ‘Little Jewish Boy Spinning Christmas’ you could be in a spot of legal trouble with the paedo hunters.

I didnt mention European pedigree I mentioned Champions League. Champs Lg started in the early 90s. In any case McLeish and Rangers got further in the Champions League than MON and Celtic ever did. Is that true or not?
In the same timeframe (Wikipedia) that both men were at their respective clubs 2001-2005. Both men won 2 SPL titles and 2 Scottish Cups. Wikipedia also comes up with a gem that McLeish is statistically the best Scottish manager of all time and masterminded a brilliant 1-0 win in Paris. Look at the state of them now.

I think Alex McLeish is a very good manager. Has made some clever signings for B’ham and I expect them to get promoted. Sunderland would be well advised to make a few enquiries his way[/quote]

So European history began with the advent of the Champions League did it? If so we’ll just discount everything Villa have ever won will we?

Always a pity when you have to rely on Wikipedia to support your argument. And it’s more of a pity when in arguing the merits of managers you try and isolate a solitary concurrent period as though that’s the only relevant timeframe. It’s even more of a pity though when you’re still wrong. Martin O’Neill won 3 SPL titles in the timeframe that you’ve selected for yourself (“2001-2005”). Those were won in 2001, 2002 and 2004. That’s not two, that’s three. He also won 3 Scottish Cup titles in the same period you selected (i.e. 2001 to 2005). Again that’s not two, that’s three.

McLeish managed Scotland for long enough to get one or two good results and not quite long enough to get found out. He’s had good spells and bad spells in all his jobs.

[quote=“larryduff”]So getting a club to mid table in the EPL and a couple of good cup runs is a better job than winning league title’s and getting to a European final. Somehow I think the pressure of managing one of the biggest clubs in the world is a little more than managing a club with one stand in a well over hyped league where many teams are around the same sh-t standard.

Don’t forget MON left a similar situation where he was at now to join Celtic so would see him doing it again absolutely. Unlike you I think he can see above and beyond the EPL and realises Celtic offer a unique attraction for him. Not to say he would get the job of course which would be doubful to say the least.[/quote]

Are you referring to Alex Ferguson there or Wenger, Guardiola or someone. I think you could be talking about Redknapp aswell cos under MON Villa havent had a cup run worth speaking about

That same shit standard that is miles ahead of the best the SPL can produce.

Yes MON left Leicester City a small club with very limited resources that he left in mid table in the EPL. A brilliant job. Bit like Harry Houdini leaving Pompey, Hughes leaving Blackburn. All left for a club that can finally at this stage of their managerial careers give them proper resources to build a club, try break the top 4 monopoly and compete properly in the Champions League. Not like Celtic who are only in the Champions League due to their geographic location and add absolutely nothing to the competition but singing a song that seems to have been borrowed from Liverpool.

[quote=“KIB man”]Are you referring to Alex Ferguson there or Wenger, Guardiola or someone. I think you could be talking about Redknapp aswell cos under MON Villa havent had a cup run worth speaking about

That same shit standard that is miles ahead of the best the SPL can produce.

Yes MON left Leicester City a small club with very limited resources that he left in mid table in the EPL. A brilliant job. Bit like Harry Houdini leaving Pompey, Hughes leaving Blackburn. All left for a club that can finally at this stage of their managerial careers give them proper resources to build a club, try break the top 4 monopoly and compete properly in the Champions League. Not like Celtic who are only in the Champions League due to their geographic location and add absolutely nothing to the competition but singing a song that seems to have been borrowed from Liverpool.[/quote]

Oh dear me, you’re not very good at this debating lark. Aston Villa’s wealth (and therefore chaces of future success) stems entirely from their geographic location. Nobody would invest in such a mediocrity if it wasn’t in the hypermarket that is the EPL. That’s an embarrassingly naive point.

[quote=“KIB man”]
I think Alex McLeish is a very good manager. Has made some clever signings for B’ham and I expect them to get promoted. Sunderland would be well advised to make a few enquiries his way[/quote]

how does that make sense?..You rate mcleish to take over from keane by based on doing exactly what the keane done previously from a harder position…i.e get their team promoted from the championship??

… after getting them relegated from the EPL in the first place!

larry, you mentioned Martin O’Neill’s comments when he took over at Celtic. I’ve looked on You Tube on a few occasions in the past to no avail for his speech on the steps of Celtic Park to the hundreds of supporters gathered outside in the pissing rain the day he took over.

I recall watching it live on Sky Sports News a day or two after finishing my last college exam that summer. It was some oration. King Henrik often speaks about his teamtalk at Anfield in the Seville season too and how passionate it was.

He seems to retain that fondness for Celtic alright. KIB Man, I think larry was referring to Celtic when he mentioned one of the biggest clubs in the world. The Aston Villa manager seems to regard Celtic in a similar manner:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2008/10/31/celtic-could-be-biggest-club-in-world-says-aston-villa-chief-martin-o-neill-86908-20856475/

Celtic could be biggest club in world, says Aston Villa chief Martin O’Neill

Oct 31 2008

MARTIN O’NEILL reckons Celtic can become the biggest club in the world.

The former Parkhead boss, now in charge at Aston Villa, last night re-opened the debate about the Old Firm joining the Premiership and insisted they could be a major force south of the border.

O’Neill said: "Celtic are a fantastic football club. Even at the minute they are in the top 10 in the world and could easily go to No.1.

"They honestly have the potential to be the No.1 club in the world.

"Seriously, if they were in the Premiership they would have 85,000 gates and 81,000 of those fans would be season ticket-holders.

"I wouldn’t argue against them being in the Premiership. Absolutely not.

"If I thought I wanted them in the Premiership when I was their manager why should I change my mind now?

"They would be a massive boost, along with Rangers, and the Premiership would benefit.

"I don’t know if it will come about. It might be difficult. If it was done on a voting system I couldn’t imagine people wanting to vote for it.

“In terms of what it would bring to the Premiership I am certain Celtic and Rangers would enhance the competition. In a matter of time they be would serious contenders.”

Based on watching both teams play. Keane has no tactics as far as I can see. McLeish teams have a purpose about them and actually play some decent enough stuff. He hasnt wasted shitloads on muck either. Lee Carsley was a very clever signing. I have always rated McLeish as a manager. McLeish took Rangers over in December with them miles behind in the league. He then won 2 leagues in the 4 full seasons that MON and himself were in direct competition. MON is hailed as a hero, maybe rightly so by Celtic fans but if so it even accentuates the job done by McLeish. Signing Boumsong on a free and selling him for 8/9 m was one of the strokes of the past ten years too. McLeish went about his job in a very dignified manner at Rangers and had some fine results as an international manager with a muck side.

McLeish got Zarate in and he was a great addition. This also proves that he has some view of players outside of EPL and SPL. Keane probably thought Zarate is some kind of Karate or a breakfast cereal.

[quote=“KIB man”]Based on watching both teams play. Keane has no tactics as far as I can see. McLeish teams have a purpose about them and actually play some decent enough stuff. He hasnt wasted shitloads on muck either. Lee Carsley was a very clever signing. I have always rated McLeish as a manager. McLeish took Rangers over in December with them miles behind in the league. He then won 2 leagues in the 4 full seasons that MON and himself were in direct competition. MON is hailed as a hero, maybe rightly so by Celtic fans but if so it even accentuates the job done by McLeish. Signing Boumsong on a free and selling him for 8/9 m was one of the strokes of the past ten years too. McLeish went about his job in a very dignified manner at Rangers and had some fine results as an international manager with a muck side.

McLeish got Zarate in and he was a great addition. This also proves that he has some view of players outside of EPL and SPL. Keane probably thought Zarate is some kind of Karate or a breakfast cereal.[/quote]

not all Celtic fans hail o’squeal

Your point is? I’m not even sure but I’ll take a punt

I would say B’ham is a pretty deprived region. Still it is the 2nd biggest city in the UK. Villa have a proud European ‘pedigree’ and the potential to be massive. Doug Ellis had a top manager in the bag so I would say it was a pretty attractive proposition for Randy Lerner all in all. Got it for a good price aswell.

If Aston Villa were to break the top 4 it would be pretty much the same as Aberdeen winning the SPL. Aberdeen winning the SPL wont happen for the next 10 years at least. The SPL by any standard is woeful.

the hypermarket of the EPL. Now who is embarrasingly naive. Soccer is a professional game in case you haven’t noticed with players, managers, clubs being bought and sold to the highest bidder same as any other hypermarket at the drop of a hat, you tool.

Would it be embarrasingly naive of me to suggest that Celtic LTD would sell up 100% if there was a chance of a Randy Lerner taking them over. Maybe then Celtic might be able to get some remotely decent players in not EPL reserves like Maloney and Samaras. Wonder why Lerner, Glazers etc havent bothered to invest in the SPL?

IDIOT, IDIOT, IDIOT

Bandage, yes MON did a fine job at Celtic bla bla bla. I fail to see how he still gets the adulation of Celtic supporters with the revelation that he agreed to leave Celtic to join a relegtion bound club in Leeds. He even felt then that Leeds was a better option. His passion is loved by supporters but I have a few grave misgivings about him. He certaintly lacks tactically, played 451 at wkend at home to Fulham for example and has little knowledge of football outside of the EPL and Celtic it would appear. Wim Jansen stopped the 10 in a row if anything he should be revered. FFS what did MON achieve at Celtic? He lost a UEFA Cup final so did Walter Smith and Steve McLaren. He won three spleagues when even Steve Staunton could manage Celtic to finish second on any given year.

I feel MON cleverly plays to the gallery a good bit. I wonder if that article had anything to do with mending fences over Peter Risdale’s book. He did it in his press conference when he arrived at Villa too. Saying how he would do his best to restore the club to past glories. He mentions the European Cup winning side regularly. I’m not so naive that I think MON would stay if one of the big 4 or a top European side (not fucking Celtic :mad:) came in for him. But for the moment he is doing fine.

[

What is the context behind sectarianism in Glasgow? Is it a Scotland wide problem or just confined to Glasgow? I dont know of any other city in the UK that has the same problem. Well Belfast obviously[/QUOTE]

Do either of you mind answering my original question(s). Bandage kind of referred to it. Why is there a sectarian problem in Glasgow when there isnt in London, B’ham, Liverpool etc

I was rudely interrupted by someone hijacking Aston Villa on to the Celtic thread. I know that’s a big no no on here.

[quote=“KIB man”]

Bandage, yes MON did a fine job at Celtic bla bla bla. I fail to see how he still gets the adulation of Celtic supporters with the revelation that he agreed to leave Celtic to join a relegtion bound club in Leeds. He even felt then that Leeds was a better option. .[/quote]

Leeds were still a top side when O Neill all but agreed to take over KIB…Finished fourth at the end of thw 2002 season, missing out on a Champions League spot by a point…

They would hardly have been seen as relegation bound when he was offered the job…

Great Henke interview. Dismissing El Clsico in comparison to the Glasgow derby’s about 2:40 in:

[ame]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dacO_TkhpEI
/ame]

KIB Man, you seem to feel supporting a team involved in the machine that is the all powerful EPL warrants dismissing the likes of Celtic, a team who have beaten sides Villa haven’t even been nearly good enough to compete against yet.

Gas stuff.

But I guess lots of people who aren’t Villa supporters would regard them as a pretty small/moderately sized fish in a mammoth pond.

You’ve mentioned a good few times that Celtic only have to beat one team to win the league. It seems to have escaped your attention that Villa only have to finish ahead of one team of note in the EPL to get that much vaunted 4th spot.

When you consider that Arsenal have lost 33% of their league fixtures (5 from 15) and they’re still ahead of Villa in the League, it strikes me that it’s not really a 10-year job and Villa don’t seem to be good enough to take advantage judging by their scoreless draw with Fulham at the weekend.

[quote=“The Puke”]Leeds were still a top side when O Neill all but agreed to take over KIB…Finished fourth at the end of thw 2002 season, missing out on a Champions League spot by a point…

They would hardly have been seen as relegation bound when he was offered the job…[/quote]

Stay out of it Pukey. :wink:

Jesus he had a lucky escape in all fairness. Hardly relegation bound by Jan 3 2003 but not to be touched with a barge poll either by that stage. Barely survived relegation that season and went down the year after. He fairly well puts the boot into David O’Leary too at the end of that DM article.

http://www.leedsutd365.co.uk/pages/singlenewsstories/0710/ridsdale-oneill-celtic-leeds.shtml

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-491483/Peters-porkies-ONeill-tearing-Ridsdales-book.html

As an aside I remember around this time Dunphy making some comment about O’Neill and Leeds on the Premiership. The next week before the show had begun Bill O Herlihy made a comment detracting Dunphy’s comments and apologised to MON. Seems Dunphy was right on the money after all

Have O Neills autobiography at home, have only read a bit of it but he was all but set to take it in 2002 and in early 2003, good thing he didn’t as the club was falling apart

[quote=“KIB man”]Your point is? I’m not even sure but I’ll take a punt

I would say B’ham is a pretty deprived region. Still it is the 2nd biggest city in the UK. Villa have a proud European ‘pedigree’ and the potential to be massive. Doug Ellis had a top manager in the bag so I would say it was a pretty attractive proposition for Randy Lerner all in all. Got it for a good price aswell.

If Aston Villa were to break the top 4 it would be pretty much the same as Aberdeen winning the SPL. Aberdeen winning the SPL wont happen for the next 10 years at least. The SPL by any standard is woeful.

the hypermarket of the EPL. Now who is embarrasingly naive. Soccer is a professional game in case you haven’t noticed with players, managers, clubs being bought and sold to the highest bidder same as any other hypermarket at the drop of a hat, you tool.

Would it be embarrasingly naive of me to suggest that Celtic LTD would sell up 100% if there was a chance of a Randy Lerner taking them over. Maybe then Celtic might be able to get some remotely decent players in not EPL reserves like Maloney and Samaras. Wonder why Lerner, Glazers etc havent bothered to invest in the SPL?

IDIOT, IDIOT, IDIOT

Bandage, yes MON did a fine job at Celtic bla bla bla. I fail to see how he still gets the adulation of Celtic supporters with the revelation that he agreed to leave Celtic to join a relegtion bound club in Leeds. He even felt then that Leeds was a better option. His passion is loved by supporters but I have a few grave misgivings about him. He certaintly lacks tactically, played 451 at wkend at home to Fulham for example and has little knowledge of football outside of the EPL and Celtic it would appear. Wim Jansen stopped the 10 in a row if anything he should be revered. FFS what did MON achieve at Celtic? He lost a UEFA Cup final so did Walter Smith and Steve McLaren. He won three spleagues when even Steve Staunton could manage Celtic to finish second on any given year.

I feel MON cleverly plays to the gallery a good bit. I wonder if that article had anything to do with mending fences over Peter Risdale’s book. He did it in his press conference when he arrived at Villa too. Saying how he would do his best to restore the club to past glories. He mentions the European Cup winning side regularly. I’m not so naive that I think MON would stay if one of the big 4 or a top European side (not fucking Celtic ;)) came in for him. But for the moment he is doing fine.[/quote]

The point is (sorry to everyone else who got it the first time) that it’s comically hypocritical to slag off the geographic advantages enjoyed by Celtic when if Aston Villa were a parochial backwater club in any other country in the world they’d have none of this potential you keep telling us about. Villa are nothing but their geography.

Aberdeen winning the SPL will win them a trophy. Villa coming fourth is Villa coming fourth. Get on your open top bus and celebrate the medals that you don’t get for winning nothing.

Soccer is indeed a business. Just find it funny when you whinge about Celtic getting into the CL because of where they’re from. It’s short-term gloryseekers like yourself who probably want the CL to comprise just three or four leagues.

Celtic are a plc, it’s up to individual shareholders to decide whether they want to sell or not. Desmond owns most so up to him I guess. Not sure of the relevance of that.

[quote=“Bandage”]Great Henke interview. Dismissing El Clsico in comparison to the Glasgow derby’s about 2:40 in:

[url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dacO_TkhpEI
/url]

KIB Man, you seem to feel supporting a team involved in the machine that is the all powerful EPL warrants dismissing the likes of Celtic, a team who have beaten sides Villa haven’t even been nearly good enough to compete against yet.

Gas stuff.

But I guess lots of people who aren’t Villa supporters would regard them as a pretty small/moderately sized fish in a mammoth pond.

You’ve mentioned a good few times that Celtic only have to beat one team to win the league. It seems to have escaped your attention that Villa only have to finish ahead of one team of note in the EPL to get that much vaunted 4th spot.

When you consider that Arsenal have lost 33% of their league fixtures (5 from 15) and they’re still ahead of Villa in the League, it strikes me that it’s not really a 10-year job and Villa don’t seem to be good enough to take advantage judging by their scoreless draw with Fulham at the weekend.[/quote]

Whats the obsession with Villa again Bandage? I was told maybe rightly I dont know, only a few weeks ago that I had some kind of obsession with Celtic cos I mentioned them on the Villa thread. I didnt bring Villa up here but with the SPL and friendlies all Celtic fans have to look forward to, I can understand the need to get a bit of debate going. Your still failing to answer my questions but again I understand.:wink:

Ya beautiful interview. Hold on whats that thing on the right hand top corner. Is that Celtic TV? Mmm, former club hero being interviewed by club TV’s praises club and lets off a few porky pies to keep Celtic sweet. Of course he had a great time there. An actual quality player playing in a tin pot league. He hacked it up. Would it be embarrasingly naive of me to suggest that just maybe Henke was flying a bit of a kite re a coaching, ambassador role for the club. When Strachan returns to a side fighting releagtion in the EPL I’d say Henke could be given the reigns. He obviously has the fans on board. Freddie Mercury could guide them into second anyway.

Do you watch Fox News too Bandage? Read Sindo? Put up a comical Ali youtube there aswell while you are at it. No better put up the one where Dara Maloney asks him if he still eats Haggis.

Your in danger of going down that road again where ‘Larsson is a god, he says Celtic are great, therefore they are’. You made an ass of yourself then and your in serious danger of doing it again.

Small fish, mammoth pond v Big fish in a dried lake. At least there is life in the pond. Anyway thats the challenge MON faces. A moderately sized fish with scope to grow and improve its way up the food chain. The lake (SPL) is still dry tho.

Over 2 legs Villa would comfortably beat Aalborg by 3 goals. End of. Ye beat who at the weekend Caley Thistle 1-0? We play a side of similar standard Gillingham I think in the cup in a few weeks. Our reserves/youths should beat them easily.

The EPL outside the current top 5 has a lot of teams around the same level. A level ahead of Celtic too I might add. All teams are capable of beating one another with no guaranteed 3 points against any side. There is no Derby this season. Villa as last Sat proved arent so good yet that they can simply roll over other sides in the EPL at ease. That is not the case in the SPL. I’m hoping for a fifth place finish this season where we pull away from the rest and get closer to the top 4. Yakubu and Saha’s injuries are a plus. City bidding for Aguerro, Buffon etc is not. Still we are in pole position.