Big, Big Month For Celtic - Part II

It looks like Naka is staying until the end of the season at least. I’m glad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7760665.stm

Nakamura’s January exit on hold

Nakamura set to stay until summer

Celtic’s Shunsuke Nakamura will now stay with the Scottish champions until the end of the season.

Nakamura’s agent Roberto Takuda left Glasgow on Monday after telling Celtic that Yokohama F Marinos will not now be submitting a bid for the 30-year-old.

Yokohama’s parent company, Nissan, had raised a fee of around 3m in a bid to sign the Japan midfielder in January.

But, with the credit crunch hitting the automobile giants hard, they will wait until his contract expires in June.

Nakamura was widely expected to return to his homeland - and Yokohama F Marinos - in the New Year should Celtic exit European competition.

Last week’s defeat to Aalborg meant that Celtic have not only failed to qualify from the group stages of the Champions League but also missed out on a parachute into the Uefa Cup.

And, with the J-League season beginning in March, January seemed like the right time to make the switch.

Nakamura signed for Celtic in the summer of 2005 and has been part of manager Gordon Strachan’s three title-winning teams.

But, in recent months, the player has indicated that he wishes to return to Japan - and his first club - for the sake of his family and his international career.

It now seems certain that his departure will be delayed until the summer, when he will leave Celtic as a free agent.

A Celtic source has told BBC Sport that they are delighted the player will be available to help the club push for a fourth successive Scottith Premier League title.

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell had repeatedly said that he would prefer Nakamura to remain in Glasgow.

[quote=“Bandage”]As Gman astutely pointed out, it’s impossible to conclude with any certainty how individual players would fit into team shapes.

But if anyone can point out an example of James Milner or Ashley Young affecting a game at the very top level in the manner of McGeady versus Barcelona, Benfica or Shakhtar Donetsk last season then I’d be extremely interested to hear about it. But I don’t believe that’s ever happened so they can’t really be compared to the superior Irishman.

Let’s not get carried away by KIB EPL Man’s adoration of all things and players in the English top flight, which is naturally going to cloud his judgement. Gman, a Milan follower, provided a more rounded view.

It’s interesting to note that Celtic had a better defensive record than the ultra defensive Huns, who numbered Carlos Cuellar in their defence, in the league last season too. It’s easy to pick the example of Gary Caldwell’s early career to label him a failure but you could go through the Villa squad and similarly pick out Luke Young being unable to get a game at Spurs.

Overall, as I said, it’s a pointless exercise. And it will continue to be one if Villa lose to teams like Stoke, Boro, Newcastle and QPR, as they have already done this season.[/quote]

Good post Poundage. Ashley Young was simply outstanding against Arsenal a couple of weeks ago despite missing a penalty. James Milner also had a fine game getting the better of Gael Clichy perhaps the best left back in Europe. I watched the majority of Mcgeady’s (20 caps, 0 goals) international games. He was dog shit in the most of them. Remember Brady in particular in disbelief at how McGeady had not been dropped after one of the Ireland matches in the last campaign. That was how bad he was.

He was decent against Montenegro and showed a bit of promise. We will see how gets on at Middlesboro. If McGeady has affected top level games against Barcelona, Benfica and Donestk why arent the actual top clubs all over Europe falling over themselves after him? Oh sorry Middlesboro are obviously a top club since they were recently in a European final. Its relatively close to his home town too.

Celtic v Benfica was top level football in the late 60’s

Presume you read about Boro’s McGeady interest in the News of the World - supporting Rupert Murdoch’s businesses and all that.

Has it completely escaped your attention that being involved in the richest league in the world gives pretty shit teams like Boro, who incidentally beat Aston Villa at Villa Park recently, the ability to bid for almost anyone?

It doesn’t follow that every player will go to these teams though. Nor does a red top headline equate with fact.

McGeady was linked with Bayern Munich last week in the German media by the way - have you ever heard of them? They play in the German league.

If Ashley Young ot James Milner were as good as you make out then why aren’t any notable clubs linked with them? Milner was readily available at Newcastle - the big clubs didn’t seem to be in the queue for him? These two are behind Stewart Downing and Jermaine Jenas in the England pecking order. It suggests a bit of poetic licence and overrating of them on your part.

[quote=“Bandage”]1)Presume you read about Boro’s McGeady interest in the News of the World - supporting Rupert Murdoch’s businesses and all that.

Have never bought the News of the World in my life. Think I read it on bbc transfer rumours or one of those. You probably have one eye on Rupert Murdoch’s channel at the moment. What channel you watch Arsenal tonight on you IDIOT

2)Has it completely escaped your attention that being involved in the richest league in the world gives pretty shit teams like Boro, who incidentally beat Aston Villa at Villa Park recently, the ability to bid for almost anyone?

Another truly ridiculous point and seems to contradict a lot of your earlier posts.

3)It doesn’t follow that every player will go to these teams though. Nor does a red top headline equate with fact.

No just saw the rumour. Great to have a team who have been in a recent European final linked with your prized asset in any case. The prestige of it.

4)McGeady was linked with Bayern Munich last week in the German media by the way - have you ever heard of them? They play in the German league.

Have I heard of the German media? Ya i guess. I dont speak German tho so wouldnt read the papers or that. Ribery must be quivering in anticipation.

5)If Ashley Young ot James Milner were as good as you make out then why aren’t any notable clubs linked with them? Milner was readily available at Newcastle - the big clubs didn’t seem to be in the queue for him? These two are behind Stewart Downing and Jermaine Jenas in the England pecking order. It suggests a bit of poetic licence and overrating of them on your part.[/quote]

Dont think I have over rated either. Ashley Young has been a revelation at Villa. Was a huge gamble at the time 9m. Would be a serious addition to any of the top 4 sides. MON fought off Liverpool big time in the summer and laid down a marker. Cant see any of them fancying a long battle like that again over one of our players. Milner is a fine player. Again we over paid something serious but he is young and has serious scope to improve. He is better than anything Chelsea and Liverpool have on their right. Liverpool were interested but needed to sell Alonso and Pennant to get some money. He had been at Villa on loan before and wanted to come anyway.

Jermaine Jenas is an average central midfielder. Better than anything Celtic have but still average. Doesnt play out wide. Stuart Downing is another hugely overrated English player. Dont know how he or Wright Phillips are in the squad ahead of Milner and especially Young. Any neutral observer would probably back me up on that. Their time will come and I’m not too bothered about the English team anyway.

I cant believe Bandage you rate Jenas and Downing ahead of Ashley Young. He was in the team of the year last season. A bargin at 8 Million.

Martin O’Neill fought off Liverpool for Gareth Barry last summer. Benitez concluded that Pennant and Kuyt were better wide right options than Milner. I guess Milner would be similar to Pennant though - both touted as great prospects as teenagers but who settled for mediocrity.

As for Ashley Young, I saw the last half hour of the Villa-Man Utd game recently and he couldn’t get any change out of John O’Shea. Got on the ball 3 times and gave it away twice and ballooned a cross over the bar. He looked poor to me and I haven’t seen any big club being linked with him. Stewart Downing appears to be a better option for England and they don’t have many left footers.

The point about Boro is far from truly ridiculous - in fact, it’s rather pertinent. EPL teams can bid for anyone given the ridiculous amounts of money available to them from top to bottom. The recipient club can’t control the fact that a shit team like Boro, who incidentally won at Villa Park recently, has rafts of cash. It doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone they express an interest in will go to them though.

That’s my point Shan - I don’t particularly rate any of them. But Fabio Capello has an excellent managerial track record and he seems to rate them both ahead of this Ashley Young chap. I’d probably bow to his knowledge and experience in this instance.

But Paddy McCourt, rather than Aiden McGeady, would probably be a better comparison with Ashley Young. They both enjoyed success with very small clubs - Derry vs Watford.

Young’s now got into a team that don’t play in the Champions League, while Paddy’s still trying to force his way into the plans of a big European team. I would concede their transfer fees are different but as players they’re similar in being unproven compared to a Champions League regular like the Donegal man.

[quote=“Bandage”]That’s my point Shan - I don’t particularly rate any of them. But Fabio Capello has an excellent managerial track record and he seems to rate them both ahead of this Ashley Young chap. I’d probably bow to his knowledge and experience in this instance.

But Paddy McCourt, rather than Aiden McGeady, would probably be a better comparison with Ashley Young. They both enjoyed success with very small clubs - Derry vs Watford.

Young’s now got into a team that don’t play in the Champions League, while Paddy’s still trying to force his way into the plans of a big European team. I would concede their transfer fees are different but as players they’re similar in being unproven compared to a Champions League regular like the Donegal man.[/quote]

You are hilarious Bandage. Comparing an England International who was in the Pfa Team of the season last year who is playing every week for a team that is still in Europe to Paddy McCourt who plays for Celtic Reserves. :smiley:

What big European team is Paddy trying to force his way into? Is he trying to move to one. Rangers were in a recent European final so maybe its them. It could be Middlesboro i guess too.

Last time I checked the Celtic minnows have been knocked out.

Aiden McGeady hardly got a kick off O’Shea not too long ago. The fact that Ashley Young played the second half on the RIGHT side of midfield may have escaped you. Milner went by him quite a few times down the left. I would say outside of Ronaldo, Young is the next best wide player in the EPL. 2nd to Fabregas last season in assists. Then again as you said before you dont watch that much EPL so I wouldnt expect you to know that.

[quote=“KIB man”]What big European team is Paddy trying to force his way into? Is he trying to move to one. Rangers were in a recent European final so maybe its them. It could be Middlesboro i guess too.

Last time I checked the Celtic minnows have been knocked out.

Aiden McGeady hardly got a kick off O’Shea not too long ago. The fact that Ashley Young played the second half on the RIGHT side of midfield may have escaped you. Milner went by him quite a few times down the left. I would say outside of Ronaldo, Young is the next best wide player in the EPL. 2nd to Fabregas last season in assists. Then again as you said before you dont watch that much EPL so I wouldnt expect you to know that.[/quote]

who is Ashley Young?

Didn’t Pascal Chimbonda get into the PFA team of the year a while back too?

NCC, to answer your question - Ashley Young is one of these young English players that EPL watchers get giddy about despite him being distinctly average. Jamie Redknapp will rave about the ball from a freekick he knocked into the box against West Brom or someone and then lads all around Ireland will start getting a hard on about him. Think of Aaron Lennon if you’re trying to pinpoint a similar player though you may not have heard of either Young or Lennon if you primarily follow Champions League football or leagues outside England.

As far as I can tell, this Young chappy takes the corners for Aston Villa. I think he was a number of assists because Martin O’Neill teams are big and physical and score a lot from set pieces. The thing with his Celtic team was they could mix it physically with anyone while also having the sheer class and artistry of the likes of Larsson and Lubo.

This Young laddy will have a few assists when the big Danish guy or someone forces a corner over the line but I guess Capello has noticed he doesn’t really offer anything in open play and that’s why he’s behind Stewart Downing in the pecking order. I think if you look at Villa’s games against the ‘Big 4’ this season you’ll find that he didn’t get a kick against Man Utd or Chelsea and bottled a penalty against Arsenal.

Plays for Aston Villa. Keep up there Ncc.

[quote=“Bandage”]Didn’t Pascal Chimbonda get into the PFA team of the year a while back too?

NCC, to answer your question - Ashley Young is one of these young English players that EPL watchers get giddy about despite him being distinctly average. Jamie Redknapp will rave about the ball from a freekick he knocked into the box against West Brom or someone and then lads all around Ireland will start getting a hard on about him. Think of Aaron Lennon if you’re trying to pinpoint a similar player though you may not have heard of either Young or Lennon if you primarily follow Champions League football or leagues outside England.

As far as I can tell, this Young chappy takes the corners for Aston Villa. I think he was a number of assists because Martin O’Neill teams are big and physical and score a lot from set pieces. The thing with his Celtic team was they could mix it physically with anyone while also having the sheer class and artistry of the likes of Larsson and Lubo.

This Young laddy will have a few assists when the big Danish guy or someone forces a corner over the line but I guess Capello has noticed he doesn’t really offer anything in open play and that’s why he’s behind Stewart Downing in the pecking order. I think if you look at Villa’s games against the ‘Big 4’ this season you’ll find that he didn’t get a kick against Man Utd or Chelsea and bottled a penalty against Arsenal.[/quote]

lennon- he came ob for england vs portugal in the last world cup - he replaced beckham - he was the next big thing - what ever happened to him?

He’s the guy who was showing off his cock on the internet from his hotel room the night before England lost to Croatia in the European Qualifiers last year…he’s the little jockey with the big whip by all accounts…

Plays for Tottenham Hotspur there who beat Roma 5.0 as recently as this summer. Keep up Ncc.

That pre-season friendly result will be the highlight of the Ramos era.

The win over Celtic in the Feyenoord Jubilee Tournament surely would be Bandage. :smiley:

Left back on trial from Brann Bergen. Locke, please provide us with a scouting report.

Erlend Hanstveit, the Brann Bergen left-back, will today begin a week-long trial at Celtic as Gordon Strachan resumes his search for a solution to the club’s long-standing problem position.

There was further pleasing news for Celtic fans yesterday when the club revealed Shunsuke Nakamura will remain until the end of the season after it emerged that Yokohama F Marinos will not submit a bid for him in January.

The 27-year-old Hanstveit is available for free in the January transfer window having expressing his desire to accept a new challenge after a 10-year association with the Norwegians.

At 6ft 2in, the player fits the physical profile for the kind of full-back Strachan wants to beef-up his unimposing side.

Hanstveit has four international caps for Norway and is famous in his homeland for rejecting the chance to sign for Manchester United as a teenager despite a personal invitation from Sir Alex Ferguson.

He has since become a stalwart for Brann, playing more than 200 games, and is also a senior figure in the Norwegian Players’ Union.

Wolverhampton Wanderers have expressed interest in Hanstveit, who took part in an unsuccessful trial with the German Bundesliga side, Werder Bremen, last season, but the player’s preference would be to follow in the footsteps of his countrymen Vidar Riseth and Harald Brattbakk.

Peter Lawwell, the Celtic chief executive, has pledged money for the manager to spend in the January window. Hanstveit’s availability could at least provide a cost-effective option and enable the club offload an unsettled and off-form Lee Naylor.

Naylor has failed to establish himself after promising first season. He has struggled to regain his form after a series of injuries and the manager has been more inclined to play Mark Wilson, a right-back, and even Barry Robson, a midfielder, than the Englishman. Celtic have also been linked with Barcelona’s veteran Brazilian full-back, Sylvinho, and Paul Robinson, of West Bromwich Albion, but Hanstveit has a chance to stake his claim this week.

[quote=“Bandage”]Didn’t Pascal Chimbonda get into the PFA team of the year a while back too?

This Young laddy will have a few assists when the big Danish guy or someone forces a corner over the line but I guess Capello has noticed he doesn’t really offer anything in open play and that’s why he’s behind Stewart Downing in the pecking order. I think if you look at Villa’s games against the ‘Big 4’ this season you’ll find that he didn’t get a kick against Man Utd or Chelsea and bottled a penalty against Arsenal.[/quote]

Pascal Chimbonda had a fantastic season with Wigan that is why he was picked. Topped it off by handing Jewell his jersey in the dressing room after the last game of the season and told him he was off. Just the character Roy Keane needed to pair up with Diouf and Cisse but thats another matter. A very decent player when his mind is on it.

Young and Lennon are similar in that they are black, wear bling earings, are quick and play wide in midfield. Thats where the similarities end. Ashley Young can cross the ball equally with both feet is a better dribbler, scores goals and in all honesty is a far better player. The fact that he has an outstanding delivery from set pieces and open play is surely to be applauded. He hasnt been taking the corners recently for Villa. Bit strange that. Barry and Milner seems to take them. Young seems to be positioned on the edge of the box. He takes all the free kicks though and creates chaos with his outstanding deliveries. Also scores the odd one like against Sunderland this season.

Despite bottling a penalty against Arsenal he went on to dominate the game. He tormented Sagna throughout. Won the penalty, created the first goal and was clearly the man of the match. Against United he was still lively enough and was a threat throughout. Not his best performance. He was quite poor against Chelsea but still created our only two chances. A sign of true quality when playing badly he is still a threat. As expected he ran rings around Ajax and Prague.

Anyway I doubt Bandage has ever watched him as it could be deemed as supporting Rupert Murdoch’s enterprises. Probably saw him on that web cam truth be known.

Lennon made a decent impact on the WC in 2006 as a 19 year old. He seems to be coming back to form slowly. Watched a bit of him against Blackburn lately and he was outstanding. If you wanted a similar player to compare him to, I would suggest Aiden McGeady. They both have similar flaws ie, poor decision making in the final third, poor crossing, dreadful goal scoring technique. Lennon can go past a player though as he is far quicker.

Also this is not a slight on McGeady. I’m an Irish fan like everyone else on here (Bandage aside). I hope our seemingly first choice winger (20 caps, 0 goals) is making the most out of his ability. However at 23, the time is surely now for him to start delivering. A lot of his performances for Ireland have been McShane-esque in quality thus far.

He made the french squad for the 2006 world cup that season…