Bob Dylan - every album

I told you that folk and story telling appeals to something innate within the human psyche. We’ve been telling stories for as long as we can speak

Stories???
Some lads on here have been telling lies for as long as they can speak.

2 Likes

And what pops up on my Spotify shuffle - Like a Rolling Stone.

Magnificent song. 1965!

Like a complete unknown

Terry Pratchett got it right, we should be called Pan narrans, the storytelling ape. Sapiens means wisdom, one of our least obvious features.

1 Like

:clap::clap::clap:

You can see the more enlightened among us has gravitated towards mythology during lockdown.

1 Like

Best album:

1. Bringing It All Back Home
  2. Blood on the Tracks
  3. Time Out of Mind
    (I have to stop here because I can’t pick between The Freewheeling Bob Dylan and The Times They Are A Changing for number 4.)

Best Song (this is much harder):

1. It’s Alright Ma (I’m only bleeding)
  2. Desolation Row
  3. Let Me Die in My Footsteps (this was going to be my anthem for End the Lockdown)

Honourable mentions include (there are very very many): Girl from the North Country
Don’t Think Twice
Standing in the Doorway
Hurricane
Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
Outlaw Blues
A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall
Shelter From the Storm
(I have to stop now, this is getting too long. I haven’t even put in Gates of Eden or Tambourine Man)

2 Likes

Blood on the tracks and Times they are a changing for me.

1 Like

There’s seven breezes a-blowin’
All around the cabin door
There’s seven breezes a-blowin’
All around the cabin door
Seven shots ring out
Like the ocean’s pounding roar

2 Likes

I’ve been a big Bob Dylan fan for several decades now and his music never ceases to amaze me .
I have the bulk of his albums on vinyl and the rest on cd. I could honestly say that I could listen to every album start to finish and really enjoy them with the exception of the fairly recent crooner type albums . I have seen him five or six times in concert and have enjoyed them all . While he wouldn’t be the best guitarist or keyboard player around nobody comes near his songwriting . Hard to pick a favourite song or
album but , seven days ,foot of pride , series of dreams , would be up there . https://youtu.be/AgqGUBP3Cx0

4 Likes

Here’s a good website for any Dylan fan .
1 Like

Romance in Durango is my favorite Dylan song. I’ve only ever listened to four albums outside of compilations so not a fan boy but would consider myself a fan. Never seen him in concert either and wouldn’t be bothered too much by that. I’ve an uncle who has seen him at least 15 times over the years.

1 Like

It takes a lot to laugh, it takes a train to cry.

If only for the title.

It’s a cracking song as well though.

1 Like
1 Like

Hard to believe that was wrote by a 22 year old

Desire is brilliant too… Isis, One more cup of coffee, oh sister…

Different class.

1 Like

Too right you do Bob.

1 Like

I see Blowing in the Wind is now on a Budweiser commercial. It didn’t take long for the new rights holders to try to maximize their return.

1 Like

Only following in the tracks of the great man himself

A 2015 article in Variety claimed Dylan’s songs had already appeared more than 500 times in films and on television, a state of affairs that may have had something to do with the fact that Dylan himself, in contrast to some of his peers, was apparently highly amenable to their use.

Dylan has proved exceptionally open to what the music industry calls “fresh revenue streams”, not merely regularly flogging his songs to adverts – I Want You featured on a commercial for Greek yoghurt, Subterranean Homesick Blues on an ad for Google, Blowin’ in the Wind was repurposed for both the Co-op and a Budweiser commercial “starring an adorable dalmatian” – but actually appearing in them as well. In recent years, he’s shilled everything from Chrysler cars and Cadillac SUVs to Pepsi, iPods, IBM computers and Victoria’s Secret underwear.

How is Budweiser one of the biggest selling beers in the world? I’d rather cut my tongue out than taste it, it’s absolute piss.