Bosnia v Ireland & Ireland v Bosnia

Brady. But he’s on the left wing.

Just a shame McGeady cant get a game at Everton, he looked to be finding a bit of form earlier in the campaign but has gone back to his old self again now.

Agree rating.

I’ve turned my back on my country once, and I’ll do it again for the even money on offer for the Bosnians.

2 of those have played next to no football at club level. I’m not sure we have many better options but it’s a huge problem. They won’t be able to do the 2 legs anyway you’d imagine but hopefully returning players can slot in.

Hard to know on Ward. He was good against Germany and has been solid on his last few appearances but he’s gone so long now without playing. Guess it depends on how much reserve football etc he has played.

McGeady is an equally big risk but you’d be expecting to change the wingers at some stage so it’s probably less of an issue. Whelan will start anyway though so one of Aiden or Ward won’t play you’d imagine.

Wilson to left back and Clarke at centre back. Ward for all his limitations and weaknesses has done ok in an Irish shirt.

I have a real dislike for Wilson. Think he’s brainless and gives it away too much. Concedes lots of fouls too. I’d prefer Clark but I think that’s highly unlikely.

I’d have to say I’d feel much more comfortable with Wilson at the back than Clarke.

Clark overtook Wilson in the pecking order for the September games but both were injured in October.

1 Like

Clarke hasn’t seen much action this season, big ask for MON.

MON has to be positive as sitting back will invite serious trouble. Their back 5 aren’t exactly world beaters as the fixture indicates.

I think we’ll be right to sit back and soak it up, with Long out we don’t have much pace on the break and they have quite a physical defence, their defence is pretty reasonable too - lads in there with lots of Bundesliga/La Liga/Serie A experience.

Zukanovic plays as a left back for Sampdoria - he’s a big unit and got a great left foot but is very slow, he can play in the middle too. Spahic is an experienced pro who has played at the top level for some time now and a lot of other lads who are getting games in the Bundesliga.

Yep. Kolasnic is back playing for Schalke too after a long injury. They have a strong team when they have no injuries.

Is TFK’s former midfield powerhouse @stevie_G still involved with Bosnia?

1 Like

Ward came on as a sub on 77 minutes, at the weekend, believe.

1 Like

Long definitely out of the first leg

Keogh injured his knee in a training match tackle with Wilson today and is doubtful for Friday. :eek:

Oh dear.

Westwood is out too - Stephen Henderson has been called up to replace him. Rob Elliot won’t be joining up with the squad for the first leg so it’s a choice between Randolph and Forde with Henderson the new emergency cover.

Alan Judge, who’s apparently been very good for Brentford over the past 12-18 months, has been cleared to travel over after training so far this week with his club. He’s coming back from a hamstring strain.

Paul McShane ruled out of the first leg too. We’re decimated, chaps.

I’d go with:

Randolph;
Coleman, Keogh, Clark, Wilson/Ward;
AN Other, Hendrick, McCarthy; Brady;
Hoolahan;
Murphy.

Starting McGeady would be a massive risk given the lack of football his played.

It would take balls from MON but he could push Coleman up and put Christie in at right back.

I’m still not convinced Coleman is that good defensively, so Christie who has done well in the couple of games his played is an option.

Clarke started in fairness to him at the weekend for Villa who kept City scoreless. Wilson is always capable of the odd very stupid pass out from the back, would prefer him over Ward marginally though at left back still based on his overall ability.

His concentration lets him down too often, fine defender otherwise.

Are you going to Bosnia?

If so, you might have a chance of a spot on the bench as sub goalkeeper.